So you’re in the market to buy a brand new bed but aren’t sure what to look for. There are plenty of options available at brick and mortar establishments, but there are hundreds more rumbling around in the world of digital bed-in-a-box brands. What’s the most suitable bed for you in 2022? Top Type Of Mattress For A Bad Lower Back
Remember that the word “best” isn’t always the most accurate. Different people require different things of a mattress, and what works for one person will not work for another.
This is why we kept a wide range of subjects in our mind while presenting our top picks. Our hope is that most people will be able to discover not only the “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our best mattresses of 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we get into the in-depth details of each of these beds we’d like to tell you a little bit about how we came to select them.
At Scaramouch we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattress models within our lab for mattresses, running each one through tests like pressure mapping and measuring motion transfer using the seismometer. From there, we give every bed an overall score based on materials, comfort, support, cooling, and edge support. We also consider quality of the mattress with categories such as value and warranty.
Since we wanted our compilation of Best Mattresses to represent the most excellent of the best, we considered each bed’s overall score into account. Each mattress in this list is rated 4 out of 5 or more. The highest-scoring beds are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both of which scored an impressive 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When shopping for a luxury mattress, you must find a mattress that checks all the boxes. You want something with good support and pressure relief cushioning, and quality mattress materials that don’t break down too quickly.
The Saatva provides all the benefits of those expensive models, but at a more affordable price. With a durable coil-on-coil design, it features an innerspring-like feeling that is a good fit for all types of sleepers. It’s also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Luxury Firm, Soft Luxury Firm and Firm) that further widens its appeal.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers are likely to be the most comfortable with the Luxury and Firm versions while those who sleep on their sides should prefer the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination you’ll be able to quickly change positions on any of the models, thanks to the Saatva’s springy combination of support and comfort. There’s even an HD model specially designed for heavier sleepers.
Another added bonus of the Saatva is that its coils give the bed exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to sit on or sleep close to the edge of your mattress without feeling like it’s going to collapse or cause you to fall off. The only downside to the Saatva’s springiness is that it results in quite a lot of motion transfer, meaning that if you sleep with an individual, you could sense each other’s movements at late at night, particularly if either or both of you is a light sleeper.
In the end, it’s worthwhile shining a light on some of Saatva’s top-quality products. It’s made of organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you won’t have the worry of sleeping with dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become one of the most well-known names in the mattress industry due to its customizable. Customers can take a sleep quiz on the Helix website and take their body type, sleeping preferences, as well as other aspects into account so that the company can suggest the ideal mattress.
If you’re a side sleeper is likely to be directed towards the Helix Midnight, which is an average-firm mattress that provides an enveloping feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and cradles delicate areas like hips and shoulders. This is crucial for those who sleep on their sides because it’s where they put the most pressure when they sleep. Back sleepers should also be happy with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a excellent mattress for couples who sleep side-by-side. As a hybrid that has a layer of pockets beneath the foams, which creates enough support for two people. While this also results in a tiny bit of bounce, it’s not enough to disturb either of you. Plus, the responsiveness makes it a great mattress for sex.
If you’re a sleeper on the side who wants some extra plush pressure relief, I’d suggest checking for Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress which comes with extra foam layers. You can also check out more of our best-rated side sleeper mattresses. Or, if you’re convinced by this mattress, the Helix Midnight, get the best price right here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or buts about it. Mattresses can be incredibly expensive. However, that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. As an example it’s the Nectar mattress is an excellent quality mattress with a significant relaxation punch, without costing you a fortune.
The current price is less than $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts This memory foam mattress is built by using 5″ of soft Gel memory foam. This gives you plenty of sinkage and deep body-contouring that could work wonders for those who sleep on their sides. They will also feel immense pressure relief and cushions at the shoulders and hips.
However it is also a good choice for back sleepers. Nectar provides enough support with its foam with high density below for those who sleep on their backs, and are likely to appreciate the moderate firmness of the mattress. The best part is that the memory foam can withstand a great deal of motion throughout the entire structure, making it a great pick for couples. And if anyone’s in search for a bed that is super soft and would like to know more about this brand’s Nectar Premier, which has some additional alarms.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? Find a more affordable bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you sleep with a partner and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It is available in a Medium, Soft and Firm version, so most couples should be capable of finding a bed that works for them. All models have solid edges (which makes the bed appear larger) and solid motion isolation, keeping you from being a victim of your partner’s every turn and toss.
Couples should also take cooling into consideration when shopping for the best mattress for them, since two bodies give off greater body temperature than one. But this shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature mattress, which is made of a naturally cooling, latex-like foam that is in the comfort layer. Additionally, it has a hybrid design with springs that have room for plenty of airflow.
Another characteristic that is sure to appeal to lovebirds is the Signature’s bounciness (chalk it up to latex-like foam) and makes it a great mattress for sex. It’s also worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the brand is able to pass savings onto the customer. This makes the Signature (and any of the other products by the brand) a budget-friendly mattress for couples, though one that has a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier person (250 pounds and above), then you need an appropriate mattress that can comfortably support you. The WinkBed is available in four different levels of firmness that include Luxury Firm, Softer, Firmer, and finally the Plus. The Plus is made with reinforced steel coils that are designed to support heavier people. The strengthened springs result in extra-strong edge support, which allows you to spread to the very end of the bed.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides gentle pressure relief from the quilted top layer of its pillow and lots of support from its pocketed coil support layer. The mattress also offers zoned support (a combination of softer and more firm foams, based on the region) to help ease aches and pains, especially on your back.
In addition to this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it will be extremely cool to sleep. It has a breathable cover constructed out of sustainable Tencel, and the coils provide an abundance of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers keep a low temperature all night long.
Do you think this is the mattress you’ve always wanted? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
At a 7/10 on our firmness scale it is a Bear is a good choice for those who are looking for a comfortable and supportive mattress. This comes from a thick layer of high-density support foam in the middle, over which is a lighter layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s likely to be more than enough support here for back sleepers, and they’ll also get a little bit of contouring from the cushion of comfort foam that’s coated by graphite gel. This helps the mattress stay cool, and so does a mattress cover made of breathable and lightweight material known as Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only noteworthy aspect of Celliant. There are studies that show it also promotes blood flow and could aid in recovering. The Bear a great fit for athletes or anyone who lives an active life.
If you’re ready to curl up on your Bear, get our top deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers tend to need a lot of support to keep their spines neutrally aligned while also getting requisite relief from pressure to avoid pain in the lower back. They might find a good combination in the DreamCloud hybrid mattress that uses the combination consisting of poly foam, with pocketed coils.
These materials make the DreamCloud slightly firmer than the medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel like they’re sitting on top of the mattress. In addition, they’ll get a little squeeze due to the memory foam.
The memory foam is infused with cooling gel in the form of an infusion, keeping it from trapping heat as the traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils create space for a lot of airflow.
If you do end up choosing the DreamCloud, know that it’s quite a heavy bed, so it might be beneficial to assist in the process of the move into your house (and possibly setup) when it arrives.
Sold on your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here for our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are in search of a bed that will to cool down during the night, the GhostBed Luxe could be the best choice for you. This mattress features cooling technology to draw body heat away from sleepers.
In the beginning, there’s the infusion Phase Change Material, a special type of fabric that draws heat away from the sleeper and feels cool to the skin. It also comes with a layer of gel memory foam, which, in addition to being cool, also provides lots of comfort and relief from pain.
One other notable cooling feature as a brand GhostBed is famous for their “Ghost Ice” cover on some of its mattresses. Additionally, it is made from a Phase Change Material that assists in helping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the sensation. The only downside is it is a little slippery, so you may want to use an upholstered sheet over your bed to keep it comfortable and cozy.
In terms of comfort In terms of comfort, in terms of feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and should offer the back and side sleepers a combination of comfort and support. It’s also a great option for couples because of its fantastic motion absorption and the bounce (a bonus for couples).
If you’re primarily concerned with maintaining coolness, you’ll be delighted with this GhostBed Luxe. Click here to get the most competitive price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a back or side sleeper that has struggled with back pain in the past, this Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent choice. It combines soft top foams with sturdy steel coils that aids in keeping your spine within a neutral position and helps prevent back pain. Actually the support is so solid that it can be an ideal option for heavy sleepers over 250 pounds.
But back-sleeping isn’t the only position that is suitable for this Casper Wave Hybrid. The mattress should be very comfortable sleeping on your side. Your shoulders should sink into the mattress and give you some refreshing pressure relief and your hips should are supported.
Hot sleepers will feel right at home in the Casper Wave Hybrid. The pocketed coil provides plenty of room for airflow, and the comfort layer is made of what’s called Airscape foam. Its aerated shape is extremely breathable and as an added feature, it features a thin coating of cooling gel on the top. These features should assist in helping to keep the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note it’s a responsive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feeling of memory foam. If you’re a lover of the feeling of a quicksand it might be a good idea to reconsider your options.
You think the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and aches? Check out our lowest price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Being a hybrid, this Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils to provide a mixture of support and comfort. Overall, we’d say it’s on the soft side with a score of 6/10 on our firmness scale (for context medium firm is 6.5/10). This makes this model Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers who can expect to feel amazing pressure relief as their hips and shoulders slide into the cushion of comfort.
It’s worth pointing out that this section of comfort is composed of not only one, but two layers of foam. There’s 2 inches of ArcticTex fibers and an airfoam ice stretch. Both are specifically designed to keep sleepers at a comfortable temperature, with the former being a graphite-infused variant of the original Nolah AirFoam used in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who prefer a soft mattress might also enjoy the Nolah and it’s a comfortable option for couples. Not only will they feel that mixture of support and comfort you mentioned, but they’ll be able stretch out due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco Coils. With a height of 8′ the springs are encased in Edge-Tech support foam, which supports both sides of the bed and also the middle. That means you can rest assured that the Nolah Evolution has some really amazing edge support.
Are you sure that it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been looking for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress that you were looking for, you might benefit from one of our mattress guides that are more specific. Below are a few of my suggestions based upon the type of body as well as age, sleep positions, the management of pain, among other things.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattress that cushions pressure points at their hips and shoulders. Take a look at our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require an ideal balance of pressure relief and support to keep their spines straight, and typically, they’ll find this in a mattress that is medium-firm. They can find some high-quality choices in the best mattress that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive mattress that will keep their hips aligned to their shoulders. Find out more about why this is important in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Combination sleepers usually prefer mattresses that are easy to move about and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a mattress that is bouncy and has a an average-firm feel, similar to the ones in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely in coil systems to provide support. They often are firm and bouncy in feel and work well for back, stomach and mixed sleepers. Check out our top innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of foam and coil support, and their feel differs widely. Take a look at the most popular hybrid mattresses to learn more.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They use layers of foam to cushion and help the sleeping person. Memory foam mattresses are a well-known kind of all-foam mattress which offer a lot of body-contouring as well as pressure relieving. Take a look at the top memory foam mattress to learn more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are usually constructed from environmentally friendly Dunlop and Talalay Latex Foam. They are naturally cool and bouncey. Combination sleepers and heavy people often like these mattresses. Look over the top latex mattresses for more on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses use air to help sleepers throughout the night! Some of the top adjustable mattresses are the most advanced air mattresses. Get more information in our review of best air mattresses..
Choosing a sleep surface that reduces pain is particularly important for sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve compiled a list of mattress options which can ease different kinds of pain. Depending on what you need, I’d recommend looking at the best pillows for shoulders, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain and best mattresses for sciatica articles to learn more about pain management solutions.
- If you are looking for a long-lasting value mattress, take a look at the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re more interested in finding a high-quality bed which is worth the price, take a look at the best mattresses for the price.
- If you’re working on a strict budget, check out our top mattresses for under $1000 and the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of a mattress that sleeps cool, I’d recommend opting for an innerspring, latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. They are a great way to increase ventilation, which can be crucial for keeping the temperature at a minimum at night.
- You can see my favorite air-conditioned beds in our list of top cooling mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lbs) typically discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I would suggest that for these sleepers to take a review of the top soft mattresses to ensure they get the pressure relief they require.
- Heavy sleepers (over 1 lb) need a bed that provides extra support to prevent premature mattress sagging. Overall durability and edge support are usually important concerns. For more information on how to select the right mattress that suits your body check out our website to find the top mattresses designed for people who are heavy..
- Kids are growing rapidly and changing bodies with specific requirements for sleep! Learn how to prioritize your child’s sleep health in our top mattresses for children..
- Seniors (over 65) generally prefer more traditional mattresses that offer mobility and support, but aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I’d recommend taking a look at our best mattresses for seniors to discover a feeling that works for you.
- Teenagers are growing at a rapid rate, and they have their own sleep needs, as well! Learn more about how to choose the right mattress for them in our best mattresses for teenagers.
Sleeping with a Partner
- If you have a bed to share with a partner (or pet! ) It is important to pick an option that is low in motion transfer. I would suggest looking at the most suitable mattresses for couples for some examples and mattresses that offer exceptional edges, cool options as well as other features that couples could take into consideration.
- Similarly, couples in search of the best mattress for sex should browse our list of mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough to get close.
Top Type Of Mattress For A Bad Lower Back FAQs
What is the best price to spend on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here but it’s essential to take your personal budget into account. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses to be found in every price range! A budget mattress is usually considered to be one that’s under $1,000 for a Queen-sized.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, you should replace your mattress each 7-10 years. However, a mattress may sag prematurely if you don’t place it on a proper foundation or treat it roughly. It is also possible to extend the lifespan of a mattress that is old for a few months by using a mattress protector.
If you are buying a new bed, you need to look over the warranty. It can also give you an idea of the length it should last.
What is the most comfortable mattress to relieve back pain?
Many people suffering from back pain find the medium-firm or firm mattress is the best choice for them. This type of bed will help you keep your spine straight overnight and can ease a lot of back pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will help you with your particular back pain, check out our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress to stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the greatest amount of support. With that in mind, they’re better off using a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re thinking about the mattresses listed on this list that include the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva might be viable options. To get a larger selection, they can always check out our roundup of the most comfortable sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers are on the other side of the spectrum from stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they tend to prefer softer beds (or medium-firm) that have a lot of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. Many of the mattresses on this list should be ideal for side sleepers particularly the Helix Midnight. Top Type Of Mattress For A Bad Lower Back