So you’re in the market to buy a brand new bed but aren’t sure where to start. There are plenty of options that can be found in brick-and-mortar establishments however, there are hundreds more rumbling around within the realm of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best mattress for 2022? Top Type Of Mattress For A Bad Back
Well, keep in mind that the word “best” is a bit subjective. Different sleepers require different characteristics from a bed, so what is effective for one individual might not be suitable for someone else.
That’s why we made sure to keep a broad range of subjects in our mind while presenting our top picks. We hope that the majority of people will be able to discover not only an “best” mattress however, but one that is most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we get into the details of each bed, we’d like to share an overview of how we came to select these beds.
At Scaramouch we’ve evaluated more than 220 mattresses within our lab for mattresses. We’ve put each one through tests, including pressure-mapping and assessing motion transfer using a seismometer. Then, we assign each mattress an overall score in accordance with the material and comfort, support, edge support, and cooling. We also consider brand performance with categories such as value and warranty.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the top out of them, we really took each bed’s overall score into consideration. Every mattress listed here is rated 4 or more. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which were awarded an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, it’s important to look for a bed that ticks all the right boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support as well as pressure relief that cushions and high-quality mattress materials that don’t break down too quickly.
The Saatva provides all the advantages of the more expensive models, but at lower costs. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil design, it features an innerspring-like feeling that is an ideal fit to a wide range of sleepers. It’s also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Luxury Firm, Soft Luxury Firm and Firm) that makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Stomach and back sleepers are likely to be most comfortable with the Luxury or Firm models, while side sleepers should enjoy using the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination, they’ll likely be able to quickly change positions on any of the models, due to the Saatva’s soft blend of comfort and support. The Saatva has even got an HD model made specifically for sleepers who are heavier.
Another advantage of the Saatva mattress is that its coils provide the mattress with exceptional edge support. It should be possible to sit on or sleep close to the edge of the mattress without fearing that it’s going to fall over or make you fall over. The only downside to the Saatva’s springiness is that it causes fairly high motion transfer, so if you’re sleeping with an individual, you could sense each other’s movements at night, particularly if one or both of you are a light sleeper.
Finally, it’s worth shining a light on some of Saatva’s top-quality products. It’s made from Organic cotton as well as foams which are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t need the worry of sleeping with dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now an extremely well-known names in the mattress industry due to its flexibility. Customers can take a sleep quiz on the Helix website, which takes the body type, sleep preferences, and other factors into consideration so that the brand can recommend the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side-sleeper, it’s likely that you’ll be pointed toward the Helix Midnight, which is a medium-firm mattress that offers a hug-like feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body, and it cradles vulnerable areas such as the shoulders and hips, which is essential for side sleepers since this is where they place the most pressure when sleeping. Back sleepers must also be satisfied with this combination of comfort and support.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. Because it’s a hybrid mattress that has a layer of pockets of coils that are encased beneath the foams, providing enough support for two persons. This also causes a tiny bit of bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to cause any major disturbance to the other person or you. Additionally, the mattress’s responsiveness makes it an ideal mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a side sleeper who needs a little more pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking for the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with extra foam layers. Also, you can take a look at other of our top-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re convinced by this mattress, the Helix Midnight, get our lowest price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or even buts about it — mattresses aren’t cheap. But that doesn’t mean that you must spend a lot just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. For instance it’s the Nectar mattress is a great quality mattress that packs a serious quality of sleep without costing you a fortune.
The current price is less than 1,000 for a queen bed after discounts, this memory foam bed is built of 5″ of luxurious gel memory foam. This gives you plenty of sinkage and deep body-contouring that could work wonders for side sleepers. They will also feel extreme pressure relief as well as cushions at the shoulders and hips.
At the same time, the Nectar provides enough support with the high-density foam beneath the back, which are likely to appreciate the moderate firmness of the mattress. Additionally, the memory foam is able to absorb a lot of movement across the structure, making it a great choice for couples. If you’re in the market of a mattress that’s super soft and would like to know more about Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, with additional bells and whistles.
Are you happy with this value mattress? Get an even cheaper deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you’re sleeping with your partner and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples require. It is available in three different sizes: Soft, Medium and Firm option which means that most couples will be in a position to find the right bed for their preferences. All of the options have sturdy edges (which make the bed feel larger) and solid motion isolationthat keeps your partner from feeling every toss and turn.
Couples should consider cooling when looking for an appropriate mattress, because two bodies produce greater body temperature than one. This isn’t a problem with the Signature model, which features the naturally cooling latex-like foam in the cushion layer. Additionally, it has an innovative hybrid design, with springs that can accommodate plenty of airflow.
Another trait that should appeal to lovebirds will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it to latex-like foam) that makes it an ideal mattress for sexual sex. It’s also worth noting the fact that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the brand can pass on savings to the consumer. This makes the Signature (and all of the products from the brand) an affordable mattress for couples — albeit one that still has an appealing, high-quality feel.
If you believe that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier person (250 pounds or more), then you need an appropriate mattress that can provide enough support. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes in four different levels of firmness including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s the Plus. The Plus is made of reinforced steel coils specifically designed for people who weigh more. These springs are strengthened, resulting in a stronger edge support, allowing you to spread out until the edge to the edge of your bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides mild pressure relief from its quilted pillow-top layer and plenty of firm support from its coil-like support layer. It also comes with zoned support (a combination of softer and firmer foams, based on the area) to help you alleviate discomfort and pain, particularly on your back.
Outside of this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it will be extremely cool sleeping. There’s a breathable cover made out of sustainable Tencel and the coils permit an abundance of airflow. This can help sleepers who are heavier maintain a cool temperature throughout the night.
Do you think this is the mattress of your dreams? Get the best price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 rating on our firmness scale it is a Bear will appeal to those looking for a firm and comfortable bed. The Bear has a dense layer of high-density support foam in the middle, followed by a thin layer of flexible transition foam.
There should be more than enough support here for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also receive a shape from a cushion of comfort foam that’s infused with graphite gel. This helps the mattress stay cool, as does the cover of breathable, lightweight material known as Celliant.
However, it’s not the only noticeable aspect of Celliant. Certain studies have shown that it can increase blood flow and might help with recovery. This makes the Bear an ideal choice for those who is active.
If you’re ready to curl in your Bear, get our most affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require a lot of support to keep their spines aligned and also get the relief from pressure to avoid pain at the lower back. They could find a great combination in the DreamCloud hybrid mattress made up of the combination with memory foam and poly foam, with pocketed coils.
These materials give the DreamCloud just a bit firmer than the medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel like they’re on top bed. In addition they’ll feel a bit of a hug by the foam memory.
In addition, the memory foam is infused with cooling gel in the form of an infusion, keeping it from trapping heat as traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils create enough space to allow for plenty of airflow.
If you decide to going for the DreamCloud be aware that it’s a hefty bed, so it might be beneficial to help you with getting it in your house (and maybe even setting it up) once it arrives.
Sold on your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here for our best deal.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are in search of a bed that will help keep you cool at night, the GhostBed Luxe could be the ideal mattress that is right for you. This mattress features cooling technology that draws the body’s heat from sleepers.
The first is the infusion Phase Change Material, a special textile which draws heat away from the sleeping person and feels cool to the touch. Additionally, it has a layer of gel memory foam, which, in addition to being cool, provides plenty of comfort and cushioning.
Another notable cooling characteristic is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is famous for its “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on some of its mattresses. It is also made of a phase change material, it aids in ensuring that to ensure that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the touch. The only drawback is that it is a little slippery, and you might need to put an upholstered sheet over your bed to keep it neat and secure.
In terms of feel In terms of comfort, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and is expected to provide those who sleep on their sides and backs the perfect balanced amount of support and comfort. It’s also a fantastic choice for couples due to its fantastic motion absorption and its bounciness (a bonus for couples).
If your main concern is staying cool, you’ll love GhostBed Luxe. GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who’s had problems with back discomfort in the past, the Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent choice. It is a combination of soft top foams with supportive steel coils, which helps keep the spine healthy position and helps prevent back pain. In fact the support is so robust that it could be a great alternative for those who weigh more than 250 lb.
But back-sleeping isn’t the only suitable position that works with the Casper Wave Hybrid. The mattress should be comfortable sleeping on your side. Shoulder muscles should be able to relax into the bed and let you enjoy some relief from the pressure, while your hips still feel comfortable and supported.
Additionally, hot sleepers should be comfortable in the Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer offers plenty of space to allow airflow, and the comfort layer is made of something called Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely airy and, as an additional touch, it has a thin coating of cooling gel up over the top. All of these traits should help the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth pointing out that this is a very responsive bed and doesn’t have the more sluggish feel of memory foam. If you’re fond of that quicksand feeling, you may want to reconsider your options.
Are you thinking that you’ll find that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and aches? Check out our lowest price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and it Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a base layer of coils that provide a mixture of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say that it’s on the softer side and scored a 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for context, the medium-firm range is 6.5/10). This makes Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side who can expect to feel fantastic pressure relief as their hips and shoulders sink into the comfort layer.
It’s worth pointing out that this section of comfort is comprised of not just only one, but two layers of foam: 2” of ArcticTex fibers and an airfoam ice stretch. Both of these materials are made to keep the user cool, with the latter being a graphite-infused version that is a modified version of Nolah AirFoam used in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who prefer mattresses that are soft might appreciate the Nolah and it’s an ideal choice for couples. Not only will they experience the mix of support and comfort we talked about, they’ll also be able to stretch out due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco Support Coils. At 8” tall the springs are encased in Edge-Tech foam that supports both sides of the bed, as well as the middle. That means you can rest assured that the Nolah Evolution has some really amazing edge support.
Are you sure that it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress that you were looking for then you could benefit from one of our mattress guides that are more specific. Here are some of my recommendations based on your body type, age, sleep positions, managing pain, and much more.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattress that cushions the pressure points in their hips and shoulders. Check out our best side mattresses. sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate level of support and pressure relief to keep their spines in a straight line and typically, they’ll find this in a mattress that is medium-firm. You can find high-end options in the best mattresses that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive mattress that will keep their hips in alignment to their shoulders. Learn more about why that’s essential in our top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Sleepers who are prone to combination prefer mattresses that are simple to move around on and switch positions on. I would suggest these sleepers stick to a cushioned mattress with a medium-firm feel, like those in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely upon coils to support. They often feature a firm, bouncy feel, and are suitable for back, stomach, and mixed sleepers. You can check out our top innerspring mattresses to find out more.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of foam and coil support and their comfort differs widely. Check out the most popular hybrid mattresses to find out more.
- Foam mattresses do not have any coil support. They employ layers of foam to both provide cushioning and support to the sleeper. Memory foam mattresses are a popular type of all-foam mattress that offers a wide range of body-contouring and pressure relief. Look over the most comfortable memory foam mattresses to know more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are typically constructed from green Dunlop or Talalay Latex Foam. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncy. Combination sleepers and heavy people typically like these mattresses. Take a look at the most popular latex mattresses to learn more about the natural substance.
- Air mattresses utilize air to support the sleeper all night! Some of the best adjustable beds are the most advanced air mattresses. Find out more about them in our roundup of the best air mattresses..
Selecting a mattress that reduces the pain is crucial for those who suffer from chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that could help with several kinds of pain. Depending on what you need, I’d recommend looking at the top pillows for shoulders, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or best mattresses for sciatica articles to know more about pain management solutions.
- If you are looking for a long-lasting value mattress, check out the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re looking at finding a high-quality bed which is worth the price check out the most comfortable mattresses available for the money.
- If you’re on a tight budget, take a look at our best mattresses under $1000 and the most affordable mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of a mattress that sleeps cool I suggest a latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. They are a great way to increase ventilation, which can be essential for keeping a low temperature at night.
- You can see my favorite air-conditioned beds in our roundup of top mattress cooling.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers with light weights (under 130 pounds) typically find mattresses firmer than average-weight sleepers. I would suggest that for these sleepers to take a glance at most comfortable mattresses to make sure they receive the relief they need.
- Heavy sleepers (over lb) need a bed that provides an extra level of support to stop the mattress from sagging prematurely. Edge support and overall durability are usually important concerns. For more information on how to select the best mattress that suits your body go to our site for top mattresses designed for heavy people.
- Children are rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique sleeping needs! Find out how you can prioritize your child’s sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- For seniors (over 65) tend to prefer more traditional-looking mattresses that provide flexibility and support, yet aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I’d recommend taking a look at our top mattress for older people to find one that works for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have their own sleeping needs as well! Find out more about selecting a comfortable mattress for them in our top mattresses for teenagers.
Sharing a bed with a partner
- If you are sharing a bed with a partner (or pet! ) It is important to pick one that has low motion transfer. I suggest taking a look at the best mattresses for couples for a few examples including beds that have impressive edge support, cooling features and other requirements that couples may consider.
- Also, couples looking for of the best mattresses for sex should check out our guide for mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough for getting close.
Top Type Of Mattress For A Bad Back FAQs
What should I budget on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here and it’s crucial to take your budget into consideration. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses available in every price range! Overall, a budget mattress is typically considered one that costs less than $1,000 for a Queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, you should replace your old mattress each 7-10 years. However, a mattress can sag prematurely if you don’t place it on a good foundation or care for it in a rough way. You can also prolong the lifespan of a mattress that is old for a few months by adding the mattress topper.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, it’s important to look over the warranty. It will give you an idea of how long it’s expected to last.
What is the most comfortable mattress to relieve back stiffness?
Most people who struggle with back pain will find the medium-firm or firm mattress is ideal for them. The type of mattress you choose will assist you in keeping your spine straight throughout the night, which can help alleviate some of the discomfort. If you are looking for a mattress that can help with your specific back pain, take a look at our top mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping positions, stomach sleepers need the most support. With that in mind, they’re best off with mattresses with reinforced pocketed coils. If they’re considering the mattresses on this list, the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva might be viable options. If they want a wider selection, they can always check out our roundup of the most comfortable mattress for stomach-sleepers.
What’s the ideal mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers are at the opposite side of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they usually prefer softer beds (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. Many of the mattresses on this list should be an ideal fit for those who sleep on their sides particularly the Helix Midnight. Top Type Of Mattress For A Bad Back