You’re looking for a new mattress, but have no idea where to begin. Not only are there choices to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments and other establishments, but there are a lot more rumbling around within the realm of digital bed-in-a-box brands. So what’s the best bed for you in 2022? Top Medium-firm Mattress For Side Sleepers
Remember that the word “best” isn’t always the most accurate. Different sleepers require different characteristics from their bed, so what works for one person may not work for another.
We have a variety of different categories when making our top picks. Our goal is that all folks should be able to get not only an “best” mattress and not just the one that’s the best fit for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our best mattresses of 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we really dive into the details of each bed, we’d like to share a little bit about the process we used to choose the beds.
Here at Scaramouch we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattresses within our lab for mattresses, running every mattress through tests like pressure mapping and measuring motion transfer with the seismometer. From there, we give every bed an overall score in accordance with the material, comfort, support, edge support, and cooling. We also take into account the performance of the brand, like value and warranty.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the best among the top, we took each bed’s overall score into account. Every last mattress on this list is rated 4/5 or above. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which were awarded an amazing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When shopping for a luxury mattress, you must find a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support and pressure relief cushioning, and top-quality materials that won’t fall apart too fast.
The Saatva provides all the benefits of those costly models, but for a more affordable price. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil design, it features a traditional innerspring feeling that is an ideal fit for a variety of sleepers. It’s also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Luxury Firm, Soft Luxury Firm and Firm), which increases its appeal.
Stomach and back sleepers should be most comfortable on Luxury as well as the Firm model, while side sleepers will appreciate more of the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper will likely be able to quickly switch positions on any model, due to the Saatva’s soft blend of comfort and support. The Saatva has even got an HD model made specifically for those who sleep heavier.
Another benefit of the Saatva mattress is its coils give the bed exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to sit on or sleep close to the edge of the mattress and not feel like it’s going to fall over or cause you to slide off. The only issue with this springy mattress is the fact that it creates an extremely high amount of motion transfer meaning that if you sleep with an individual, you could sense each other’s movements at night, especially if one (or both) is the type of sleeper who is light.
Finally, it’s worth shining a light on some of the Saatva’s high-quality materials. It’s made with natural cotton, and is CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have to worry about sleeping near toxic chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become one of the most recognizable names in the mattress industry due to its flexibility. Customers are able to take a sleep test via the Helix website, which takes their body type, sleep preferences, and other factors into account so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side sleeper, it’s likely that you’ll be pointing towards the Helix Midnight, a moderately firm mattress that gives an enveloping feel. The comfort layer of foam conforms to the body and supports vulnerable areas such as the shoulders and hips, which is vital for people who sleep on their side because it’s where they put the most pressure when sleeping. Back sleepers must also be satisfied with this combination of support and comfort.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a great mattress for side-sleeping couples. Because it’s a hybrid mattress, there’s a layer of pockets of coils that are encased beneath the foams that provide enough support for two persons. Although this can cause some bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to seriously disturb either of you. In addition, the firmness makes it an ideal mattress for sex.
If you’re a side-sleeper who needs a little more pressure-relief, you should check into the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with more foam layer. You can also check out more of our best-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re sold on Helix Midnight, you can purchase it here. Helix Midnight, get the best price right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or buts about it — mattresses can be incredibly expensive. But that doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. For instance the Nectar mattress is a great quality mattress that packs a serious comfort punch without breaking the bank.
Currently priced at under $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts, this memory foam bed is made of 5″ of plush gel memory foam. This provides ample sinkage and deep body-contouring that could work wonders for side sleepers. They should also feel some intense pressure relief and cushions at the hips and shoulders.
In addition the Nectar provides enough support with its foam with high density below for those who sleep on their backs, and are likely to appreciate the moderate level of firmness. Additionally, the memory foam can withstand a great deal of motion across the mattress and makes it a fantastic pick for couples. And if anyone’s in search of a mattress that’s super soft and would like to know more about Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, with additional alarms.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? You can get a much more affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you sleep with a partner The Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples want. It is available in three different sizes: Soft, Medium and Firm option and most couples will be capable of finding the bed that is right for them. All of the options have solid edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and a solid motion isolationthat keeps you from feeling your partner’s every toss and turn.
Couples should also take cooling into consideration when choosing an appropriate mattress, because two bodies emit more body heat than one. This isn’t a problem with the Signature, which has an naturally cool, similar to latex in the cushion layer. Furthermore, it comes with an innovative design that incorporates springs that can accommodate a lot of airflow.
Another feature that will attract lovers are the signature’s bounciness (chalk it up to latex-like foam), which makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Also, it’s important to note it’s worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand is able to pass savings on to customers. This means that Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature Signature (and all of the products from the brand) an affordable mattress for couples, though one that’s still an excellent, premium feel.
If you think that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier sleeper (250 pounds or more) and you’re looking for a mattress that’s going to adequately support you. The WinkBed is available in four firmness levels including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s, the Plus, which is made with reinforced steel coils that are designed to support heavier people. These strengthened springs also result in stronger edge support allowing you to spread out until the very end of the bed.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction gives you some soft pressure relief thanks to its quilted pillow-top layer and ample firmness thanks to its pocketed coil support layer. It also provides zoned support (a combination of soft and firmer foams, depending on the region) to help you alleviate discomfort and pain, particularly on your back.
Outside of this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it will be extremely cool-sleeping. It has a breathable cover constructed from eco-friendly Tencel and the coils provide plenty of airflow. This can help sleepers who are heavier to keep their temperature at a minimum throughout the night.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 score on our firmness scale 7/10, the Bear is a good choice for those who are looking for a comfortable and comfortable bed. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density foam at the bottom, topped by a thinner layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s sufficient support for back sleepers. they’ll also receive a more contouring with the comfortable layer of memory foam coated by graphite. This keeps the mattress cool, and so does a cover of breathable, lightweight material called Celliant.
But cooling isn’t the only noteworthy feature of Celliant. Certain studies have shown that it can also improve blood flow and could aid in the recovery process. This makes the Bear an ideal choice for anyone who is active.
If you’re eager to curl in the Bear, get our most affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers tend to need plenty of support to ensure their spines are aligned, while also receiving the necessary pressure relief to prevent pain in their lower back. They could find a great combination with the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress that combines an amalgamation consisting of poly foam and pocketed coils.
These materials give the DreamCloud slightly firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel like they’re on top of the mattress. In addition they’ll receive a touch of comfort due to the memory foam.
In addition, the memory foam comes with an infusion of cooling gel, keeping it from trapping heat the way the traditional memory foam. And the bed’s coils make space for a lot of airflow.
If you do end up choosing the DreamCloud Be aware that it’s a very heavy bed, so it might be beneficial to assist you in moving it into your home (and perhaps setting it up) after it’s arrived.
Sold on the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to find our top bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are in search of a bed that will cool you down at night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the ideal mattress you’re looking for. The mattress has cooling technology that draws your body’s warmth away from sleeping.
In the beginning, there’s the infusion Phase Change Material, a special fabric that draws heat away from the sleeper and feels cool to the skin. Additionally, it has an underlying layer of gel memory foam that, in addition to being cool, provides plenty of comfort and relief from pain.
One other notable cooling feature: As a brand, GhostBed is known for their “Ghost Ice” cover on many mattress models. Additionally, it is made from a phase change material that assists in helping with keeping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the feel. Its only disadvantage is that it can be a bit slippery, which is why you may need to put an upholstered sheet over your bed to keep everything neat and secure.
In terms of comfort In terms of comfort, it’s a great choice for those who want to feel. GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and should offer the back and side sleepers an ideal balanced amount of support and comfort. It’s also a great option for couples due to its excellent motion absorption as well as the bounce (a bonus for couples).
If you’re primarily concerned with staying cool, you’ll love this GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the most competitive price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who has had issues with back pain in the past, it is recommended that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a great option. It blends soft top foams and supportive steel coils, which aids in keeping your spine within a balanced alignment and prevents back issues. Actually, the support is so robust that it could be an ideal alternative for those who weigh more than 250 pounds.
However, it’s not the only suitable position for Casper Wave Hybrid. Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel very comfortable sleeping on your side. Your shoulders should sink into the bed and allow you to get some relief from pressure and your hips should feel comfortable and supported.
Additionally, hot sleepers should be comfortable with this Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer provides plenty of room for airflow. The comfort layer is made of what’s known as Airscape foam. Its aerated shape is extremely breathable and as an added touch, it has a thin coating of cooling gel that is placed on over the top. All of these features will assist in helping you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note the fact that it’s a responsive mattress and doesn’t have the slower-moving feeling of memory foam. So if you’re a fan of the feeling of a quicksand, you may want to look elsewhere.
Think the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Check out our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and the Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a layer of coils that provide an optimum blend of support and comfort. Overall, we’d say that it’s on the softer side with a score of 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for context the medium-firm range is 6.5/10). This is what makes Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side, who should feel some fantastic pressure relief as their shoulders and hips sink into the comfortable layer.
It’s worth noting that this comfort section is made of not only one, but two layers of foam: 2” of ArcticTex fibers and a stretch of AirFoamICE. Both of these materials are specifically designed to keep sleepers comfortable, the latter being a graphite-infused version of the original Nolah AirFoam found in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who prefer mattresses that are soft might appreciate the Nolah as it’s a comfy choice for couples. Not only will they get that mix of support and comfort that you mentioned, but they’ll be able to stretch due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco Support Coils. At 8” tall they are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam for support, which is used to support the sides of the bed and also the middle. This means that Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really exceptional edge support.
Are you sure that the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you weren’t able to find the mattress you wanted above, you might benefit from one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Here are some of my recommendations based on body type and age, sleeping position, and pain management, and more.
- Side sleepers are best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion pressure points at their hips and shoulders. We have compiled a list of the top mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate combination of pressure relief and support to ensure their spines remain in a straight line, and usually, that’s in a mattress that is medium-firm. They can find some high-quality choices in the best mattress that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a firm mattress that keeps their hips aligned with their shoulders. Learn more about why that’s important in our top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are simple to move around on and switch positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a cushioned mattress with an average-firm feel, similar to the ones we have in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are built on coil support systems. They often feature a firm, bouncy feel and work well for back, stomach and mixed sleepers. You can check out our best innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of foam and coil support, and their feel differs widely. Check out the top hybrid mattresses to learn more.
- Foam mattresses don’t have coil support. They use layers of foam to both cushion and support the sleeper. They are the most popular type of all-foam mattress , which provide a great body contouring as well as pressure relieving. Check out the best memory foam mattresses to know more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are usually made with environmentally friendly Dunlop or Talalay latex. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncy. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy often like these beds. Check out the best latex mattresses for more on this natural material.
- Air mattresses utilize air to support the sleeper throughout the night! A few of the best adjustable beds are the most advanced air mattresses. Find out more about them in our roundup of best air mattresses..
Selecting a mattress that helps mitigate pain is particularly important for sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that could help with several different types of pain. Based on the type of pain you’re experiencing, I’d recommend looking at the top mattresses for shoulder pain, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain and the best sciatica mattresses articles to learn more about the best pain management options.
- If you are looking for a long-lasting value mattress, take a look at the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re looking at getting a top-quality mattress which is worth the price consider looking at the best mattresses for the cost.
- If you’re on a tight budget, take a look at our top mattresses for under $1,000 and the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of a mattress that sleeps cool, I’d recommend opting for an innerspring, Latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. They tend to encourage ventilation, which can be essential for keeping a low temperature during the night.
- My top breathable beds in our roundup of best cooling mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers with light weights (under 130 pounds) will often discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I would suggest that for these sleepers to take a look at the most comfortable mattresses to ensure they receive the relief they need.
- Heavy sleepers (over 1 lb) require a mattress that offers an extra level of support to stop premature mattress sagging. Edge support and overall durability are the most important considerations. For more information on how to select a mattress that suits your body go to our site to find the top mattresses designed for heavy people.
- Children are rapidly growing and evolving bodies that have specific sleep needs! Find out how you can prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- The elderly (over 65) typically prefer traditional feeling mattresses that offer support and mobility, but are still gentle on sensitive joints. I suggest looking at our top mattress for older people to find a feel that is suitable for you.
- Teens are still growing, and they have specific requirements for sleep, as well! Find out more about selecting the right mattress for them in our best mattresses for teenagers.
Sleeping with a partner
- If you are sharing a bed with a spouse (or pet! ) It is important to select an option that is low in motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the best mattresses for couples for some examples including beds with impressive Edge support and cooling features as well as other features that couples may consider.
- Couples in search of the most comfortable mattresses for sexual intimacy are able to browse our list of beds that are supple and comfortable enough to get close.
Top Medium-firm Mattress For Side Sleepers FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s no clear answer to this and it’s crucial to take your personal budget into account. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses available at all price points! In general, a mattress that is budget-friendly is generally considered to be one that costs less than $1,000 for a Queen-sized.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress every 7-10 years. However, a mattress may be prone to sagging if you don’t put it on a suitable foundation or treat it roughly. You can also extend the lifespan of a mattress several months by adding a mattress topper.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, you need to look over the warranty. It will also provide you with an idea of the length it should last.
What is the most comfortable mattress to relieve back pain?
Most people who struggle with back pain find the medium-firm or firm mattress is best for those with back pain. This kind of bed can aid in keeping your spine straight throughout the night as well as help ease some of the pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will ease your back pain, look through our top mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping positions, stomach sleepers require the greatest amount of support. This is why they’re best off with mattresses that are reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re looking at the mattresses on this list that include the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva might be viable options. If they want a wider selection, they can always look through our list of the top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers are at the opposite side of the spectrum of stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they generally prefer softer beds (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning for their shoulders hips. The majority of mattresses in this list will be an ideal fit for those who sleep on their sides particularly the Helix Midnight. Top Medium-firm Mattress For Side Sleepers