You’re looking for a new mattress, but don’t know where to begin. There are plenty of options to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments, but there are hundreds of others circulating in the world of digital bed-in-a-box brands. What’s the most suitable bed for you in 2022? Top Mattresses For Athletes
Remember that the concept of “best” is a bit subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features from a bed, so what is effective for one individual might not be suitable for someone else.
That’s why we kept a wide range of categories in mind when presenting our top picks. Our goal is that all folks should be able to get not only an “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s the best fit for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we get into the in-depth details of each of these beds we’d like to tell you an overview of the process we used to choose them.
Here at Scaramouch, we’ve reviewed more than 220 products through our bed lab. We’ve put each one through tests like pressure mapping and measuring motion transfer using the seismometer. From there, we give every bed an overall score according to the materials used and comfort, support, edge support, and cooling. We also factor in quality of the mattress with categories like value and warranty.
Since we wanted our roundup of Best Mattresses to represent the top out of them, we really took each bed’s overall score into account. Every last mattress in this list is rated 4/5 or above. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which scored an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
If you’re looking for a luxurious mattress, you must find a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support as well as pressure relief that cushions and top-quality materials that aren’t going to be able to break down as quickly.
The Saatva provides all the benefits of those costly models, but at an affordable cost. It is constructed with a strong coil-on-coil structure, it offers the traditional innerspring feel that should be suitable for all types of sleepers. It is also available in three different firmness levels (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm) that makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Stomach and back sleepers are likely to be the most comfortable on the Luxury or Firm models. While those who sleep on their sides should prefer more of the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination will likely be able to quickly shift positions with any of the models due to the Saatva’s soft blend of comfort and support. There’s even an HD model specially designed for heavier sleepers.
Another benefit of the Saatva mattress is that its coils provide the mattress with an exceptional edge support. You should be able to sit on or sleep close to the edge of the mattress without feeling like it’s going to fall over or cause you to slide off. The only issue with this springy mattress is the fact that it results in an extremely high amount of motion transfer so if you’re sleeping with a partner, you may feel each other’s movements at late at night, particularly if either or the other are a light sleeper.
It’s also worth shining a the spotlight on the Saatva’s premium materials. It’s made from natural cotton, and is CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have the worry of sleeping near toxic chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now one of the most well-known names in the mattress game due to its flexibility. Customers are able to take a sleep test through the Helix website that takes their body type, sleep preferences, and other factors into account so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a sleeper on the side most likely, you’ll be pointed toward the Helix Midnight — an average-firm mattress that provides an enveloping feel. The comfort layer of foam conforms to the body and cradles vulnerable areas such as the hips and shoulders, which is essential for side sleepers because it’s where they put the most pressure when they sleep. Back sleepers should also be happy with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a great mattress for side-sleeping couples. Since it’s a hybrid, there’s a layer of pockets of coils that are encased beneath the foams that provide adequate support for 2 persons. While this also results in some bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to disturb either of you. Plus, the responsiveness makes it an ideal mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a sleeper on the side who needs a little more pressure-relief, you should check out the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, which includes extra foam layers. You can also take a look at other of our top-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re sold on the Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs, ands, or even buts about it — mattresses can be extremely expensive. However, that doesn’t mean you must spend a lot just to get some quality Zzz’s. As an example it’s the Nectar mattress is an excellent value buy with a significant quality of sleep without spending a lot of money.
The current price is less than $1,000 for a Queen after discounts The memory foam bed is constructed with 5″ of soft gel memory foam. This provides ample sinkage and deep body-contouring which can be beneficial for side sleepers. You should also feel extreme pressure relief as well as soft support around the hips and shoulders.
However it is also a good choice for back sleepers. Nectar offers enough support thanks to its high-density foam below for those who sleep on their backs, and will appreciate the moderate firmness of the mattress. What’s more is that the memory foam can withstand a great deal of movement across the structure and makes it a fantastic choice for couples. And if anyone’s in search of a mattress that’s super soft, they should check out this brand’s Nectar Premier, that comes with some extra alarms.
Are you happy with this value mattress? You can get a much cheaper deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you sleep with someone else The Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It comes in three different sizes: Soft, Medium and Firm option and most couples will be able to find a bed that works for their preferences. All models have strong edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and solid motion-isolation, preventing you from being a victim of your partner’s every turn and toss.
Couples should be aware of cooling when looking for a new mattress, as two bodies give off much more heat to the body than one. However, this isn’t a problem with the Signature, which has a naturally cooling, similar to latex in the comfort layer. It also has an innovative design that incorporates springs that can accommodate a lot of airflow.
Another trait that should be attractive to lovers will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it to latex-like foam), which makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Also, it’s important to note that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the brand can pass on savings onto the customer. This makes it possible to make the Signature (and every one of the brand’s products) an affordable mattress for couples, though one that still has a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 pounds or more) is the case, you’ll need an appropriate mattress that can comfortably support you. The WinkBed is available in four different levels of firmness including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s the Plus. The Plus is made with reinforced steel coils designed for heavier folks. The strengthened springs result in stronger edge support allowing you to spread out all the way to the very end in the mattress.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction gives you some soft pressure relief thanks to the quilted top layer of its pillow and lots of support thanks to its pocketed coil support layer. It also comes with zones of support (a mixture of soft and firmer foams, based on the region) to help you alleviate discomfort and pain, particularly on your back.
In addition to this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool-sleeping. There’s a breathable cover made from eco-friendly Tencel, and the coils allow for an abundance of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers keep a low temperature throughout the night.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Get the best price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 rating on our scale of firmness it is a Bear should appeal to folks in search of a firm and supportive bed. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density foam on the bottom. It is followed by a thin layer of responsive transition foam.
There should be plenty of support for back sleepers, and they’ll also benefit from a bit of contouring from a comfort layer of memory foam that’s filled with graphite gel. This makes the mattress cool, and so does a covering made of breathable, light material called Celliant.
However, it’s not the only noticeable aspect of Celliant. Some studies show that it can also improve blood flow and might help in the recovery process. This makes the Bear an ideal choice for anyone who practices an active lifestyle.
If you’re ready to curl in Bear Bear, get our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require plenty of support to keep their spines aligned, while also receiving the necessary relief from pressure to avoid pain in the lower back. They could find a great combination with the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress that uses an amalgamation consisting of poly foam, and pocketed coils.
The materials used make the DreamCloud slightly firmer than the medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re sitting on top of the mattress. At the same time they’ll receive a squeeze by the foam memory.
In addition, the memory foam has an infusion of cooling gel that prevents it from absorbing heat like traditional memory foam does. The bed’s coils allow enough space to allow for plenty of airflow.
If you do end up opting for the DreamCloud be aware that it’s a very heavy bed, so it may be beneficial to assist you in getting it in your home (and possibly setup) when it arrives.
Sold on the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best deal.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper in search of a bed that will help keep you cool at night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the ideal mattress for you. This mattress is built with cooling technology to draw your body’s warmth away from the sleeper.
The first is an infusion of Phase Change Material, a special type of fabric that absorbs heat from the person sleeping and is cool to the touch. Additionally, it has the gel memory foam that is, in addition to being cooling, offers lots of cushioning and pain relief.
Another notable cooling characteristic as a brand GhostBed is famous for the “Ghost Ice” cover for many of its mattresses. Also made with a Phase Change Material that assists in helping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the sensation. The only drawback is that it could be slippery, which is why you may want to use a fitted sheet on your bed to keep it comfortable and cozy.
For feel in terms of feel, in terms of feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and should offer those who sleep on their sides and backs the perfect balanced amount of support and comfort. It’s also a great option for couples because of its fantastic motion absorption and the bounce (a plus for sex).
If your main concern is staying cool, you’ll love the GhostBed Luxe. Click here for the most competitive price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who’s had problems with back discomfort in the past, it is recommended that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a good alternative. It is a combination of soft top foams and supportive steel coilsthat helps keep the spine balanced alignment and prevents back issues. In fact the support is sturdy that it might also be an ideal option for heavy sleepers over 250 pounds.
But back-sleeping isn’t the only option that works with this Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel at ease sleeping on your back. Shoulder muscles should be able to relax into your bed and give you some relief from pressure and your hips should feel supported.
Additionally, hot sleepers should be comfortable on the Casper Wave Hybrid. The coil’s pocketed design offers plenty of space for airflow, and the comfort layer is constructed from something called Airscape foam. The aerated structure is highly airy and as an added feature, it features a thin coating of cooling gel up top. All of these traits should assist in helping the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth noting the fact that it’s a responsive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feeling like memory foam. If you’re a lover of that quicksand feeling, you may want to consider a different bed.
You think you’ll be able to use the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and discomforts? Shop here for our lowest price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Being a hybrid, this Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a layer of coils that provide an optimum blend of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say that it’s on the softer side with a score of 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for context moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This makes the Nolah Evolution an especially good option for those who sleep on their sides, who should feel some incredible pressure relief when their hips and shoulders sink into the cushion of comfort.
It’s worth pointing out that the comfort section is comprised of not just two, but one layer of foam. There’s 2 inches of ArcticTex fibers and an AirFoamICE stretch. Both are designed to keep the sleeper cool, with the former being a graphite-infused version of the original Nolah AirFoam used in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who prefer mattresses that are soft might like the Nolah as it’s a comfortable option for couples. Not only will they get that mix of support and comfort you mentioned, but they’ll be able to stretch out due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco Support Coils. With a height of 8′ they are wrapped in Edge-Tech support foam, which supports the sides of the bed, as well as the middle. That means Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Are you sure that it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been looking for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you weren’t able to find the mattress that you were looking for then you could benefit from one of our mattress guides that are more specific. Below are a few of my recommendations based on your body type as well as age, sleep posture, managing pain, and much more.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion the pressure points on their hips and shoulders. Check out our best side mattresses. sleepers.
- Back sleepers require an ideal balance of support and pressure relief to ensure their spines remain in a straight line, and they’ll typically find that in the middle-firm range of mattresses. There are some top-quality options in the top mattress for back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive mattress that will keep their hips aligned in a straight line with the shoulders. Find out why this is important in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Sleepers who are prone to combination prefer mattresses that are easy to move around on and switch positions on. I suggest that these sleepers adhere to a mattress that is bouncy and has a an average-firm feel, similar to those in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely upon coils to support. They typically feature a firm, bouncy feel, and are suitable for back, stomach, and combo sleepers. You can check out our best innerspring mattresses to learn more.
- Hybrid mattresses are made up of a mixture of coils and foam and their feeling is different. Take a look at the most popular hybrid mattresses to learn more.
- Foam mattresses don’t have coil support. They employ layers of foam to cushion and support the sleeping person. Memory foam mattresses are a favored type of all-foam mattress that provide a great body contouring as well as pressure relieving. Check out the most comfortable memory foam mattresses to know more about these mattresses.
- Latex mattresses are usually made with eco-friendly Dunlop as well as Talalay latex foam. These beds are naturally cooling and lively. Combination sleepers and heavy people typically like these mattresses. Check out the top latex mattresses for more on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses make use of air to provide support to the sleeper overnight! A few of the top adjustable mattresses are the most advanced air mattresses. Get more information in our roundup of the best air mattresses..
Choosing a sleep surface that reduces pain is particularly important for sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that could help with several kinds of pain. Based on the type of pain you’re experiencing, I’d recommend looking at the top mattress for pain in the shoulder, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain, or the best sciatica mattresses articles to know more about pain relief solutions.
- If you are looking for a long-lasting value mattress, check out the top mattresses for cheap.
- If you’re interested in finding a bed of high-end quality that’s worth the price, take a look at the top mattresses for your money.
- If you’re on a tight budget, check out our top mattresses that cost less than $1,000 and the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of mattresses that are cool to sleep on I would suggest you go with an innerspring, mattress made of latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. They tend to encourage ventilation, which can be crucial for keeping a low temperature during the night.
- My top air-conditioned beds in our list of the most comfortable mattress cooling.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lbs) typically discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I would suggest that those who sleep light to glance at best soft mattresses to ensure that they have the pressure relief they require.
- Heavy sleepers (over lb) require a mattress with additional support to avoid the mattress from sagging prematurely. Overall durability and edge support are usually important concerns. For more information on how to select the right mattress that suits your body go to our site to find the the best mattresses for those who weigh a lot..
- Children are rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique requirements for sleep! Learn how to prioritize your child’s sleep health in our top mattresses for kids..
- Seniors (over 65) typically prefer traditional mattresses that offer mobility and support, but aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I suggest looking at our best mattresses for older adults to find one that will work well for you.
- Teens are still growing, and they have specific sleep needs, as well! Learn more about how to choose an appropriate mattress in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a partner
- If you have a bed to share with a spouse (or pet! ) it is essential to choose one that has low motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the best mattresses for couples for some examples including beds with impressive Edge support and cooling options, and other needs that couples may consider.
- Similarly, couples in search of the most comfortable mattresses for sexual intimacy are able to browse our list of beds that are responsive and comfortable enough to allow you to get close.
Top Mattresses For Athletes FAQs
What should I budget on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here and it’s crucial to take your budget into consideration. Thankfully, there are great mattresses to be found at all price points! A budget mattress is generally considered to be one priced under $1000 for a Queen-size.
How often should I replace my mattress?
In general, you should replace your old mattress every 7-10 years. However, a mattress can sag prematurely if you don’t put it on a suitable foundation or treat it roughly. You can also extend the life of a mattress several months by putting on an mattress protector.
If you are buying a new bed, it’s essential to take a look at its warranty, which will also provide you with a good idea of how long it’s expected to last.
What is the best mattress to relieve back stiffness?
Most people who struggle with back pain discover the medium-firm or firm mattress is best for them. The type of mattress you choose will aid in keeping your spine straight throughout the night as well as help ease a lot of back pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will ease your back pain, check out our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping positions, stomach sleepers need the most support. With that in mind, they’re better off using mattresses that are reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re thinking about the mattresses in this list, the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva might be viable options. To get a larger choice, check out our roundup of the best sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the ideal mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers fall on the other side of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. Although they do require support, they tend to prefer softer beds (or medium-firm) that provide plenty of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. The majority of mattresses on this list should be ideal for sleepers who prefer side sleeping particularly Helix Midnight. Helix Midnight. Top Mattresses For Athletes