So you’re in the market for a new mattress but don’t know what to look for. There are plenty of options that can be found in brick-and-mortar establishments, but there are hundreds of others circulating in the world of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best mattresses for the year 2022? Top Mattress Type For Side Sleeper
Keep in mind that the concept of “best” is a bit subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features from a bed, so what is effective for one individual will not work for another.
This is why we kept a wide range of different categories when we made our top choices. Our hope is that most folks should be able to get not only”the “best” mattress however, but one that is best for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we dive into the in-depth details of each of these beds, we’d like to share some details about how we came to choose these beds.
At Scaramouch, we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattress models in our mattress lab, running each one through tests, including pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer with the seismometer. Then, we assign every bed an overall score based on materials as well as comfort, support edge support, and cooling. We also factor in quality of the mattress with categories such as value and warranty.
Since we wanted our roundup of Best Mattresses to represent the best out of them, we really looked at each mattress’s overall score into account. Each mattress listed here has an overall score of 4 or above. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which have scored an amazing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When shopping for a luxury mattress, you should choose a mattress that checks all the boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support and pressure relief cushioning, and top-quality materials that aren’t going to fall apart too fast.
The Saatva has all the advantages of expensive models, but at an affordable cost. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil design, it features a traditional innerspring feel that should be a good fit for a variety of sleepers. It also comes in three different firmness levels (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm and Firm) and increases its appeal.
Stomach and back sleepers will be the most comfortable with the Luxury or Firm models while side sleepers will appreciate using the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper will likely be able to quickly change positions on any model, due to the Saatva’s soft blend of comfort and support. It even has an HD model specially designed for sleepers who are heavier.
Another added bonus of the Saatva mattress is its coils provide the mattress with exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to lie down or sit close to the edge of the mattress without fearing that it’s going to fall over or cause you to slide off. The only issue with the Saatva’s springiness is that it creates quite a lot of motion transfer, which means that if you sleep with an individual, you could feel each other’s movements at night, particularly if one or both of you is the type of sleeper who is light.
It’s also worth shining a a light on some of Saatva’s top-quality products. It’s made from Organic cotton as well as foams which are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have to worry about sleeping in a room with dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become one of the most notable names in the mattress game due to its customizable. Customers can take a sleep quiz through the Helix website, which takes the body type, sleep preferences, as well as other aspects into consideration so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side-sleeper, it’s likely that you’ll be directed towards the Helix Midnight, which is a moderately firm mattress that gives the feeling of a hug. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and supports vulnerable areas such as the hips and shoulders. This is vital for people who sleep on their side because it’s where they put the most stress when they sleep. Back sleepers should be content with this mix of comfort and support.
The Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. Since it’s a hybrid that has a layer of pocketed coils below the foams, which creates enough support for two persons. Although this can cause the slightest amount of bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to disturb the other person or you. Additionally, the mattress’s responsiveness makes it a great mattress for sex.
If you’re a side-sleeper who wants some extra plush pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking for Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with more foam layer. You can also look at our other top-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re convinced by Helix Midnight, you can purchase it here. Helix Midnight, get our lowest price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs, ands, or even buts about it. Mattresses can be extremely expensive. But that doesn’t mean that you must spend a lot just to get some quality Zzz’s. For example, Nectar mattress Nectar mattress is an excellent quality mattress that packs a powerful quality of sleep without costing you a fortune.
The current price is less than 1,000 for a queen bed after discounts, this memory foam bed is made by using 5″ of luxurious mattress made of gel. This gives you plenty of comfort and a deep body contour which can be beneficial for those who sleep on their sides. You should also feel intense pressure relief and cushions at the shoulders and hips.
However, the Nectar provides enough support with the high-density foam beneath for those who sleep on their backs, and are likely to appreciate the moderate firmness of the mattress. The best part is that the memory foam is able to absorb a lot of motion throughout the mattress and makes it a fantastic pick for couples. If you’re in the market of a super-soft bed you should look into Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, which has some additional features and bells.
Are you happy with this value mattress? Get an even cheaper deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you sleep with a partner, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It is available in a Medium, Soft, and Firm model, so most couples should be able to find the right bed for them. All of the options have solid edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and solid motion isolationthat keeps you from feeling your partner’s every toss and turn.
Couples should take cooling into consideration when shopping for the best mattress for them, since two bodies produce greater body temperature than one. This shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature mattress, which is made of the naturally cooling similar to latex in the cushion layer. Furthermore, it comes with a hybrid design with springs that have room for lots of airflow.
Another characteristic that is sure to attract lovers are the signature’s bounciness (chalk it up to latex-like foam) that makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Also, it’s important to note that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the brand can pass on savings on to customers. This means that it possible to make the Signature (and all of the brand’s products) a budget-friendly mattress for couples — albeit one that’s still an appealing, high-quality feel.
If you believe that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 pounds or more) and you’re looking for an appropriate mattress that can provide enough support. The WinkBed is available with four levels of firmness including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s the Plus, which is constructed with steel reinforced coils that are designed to support heavier people. The strengthened springs result in a stronger edge support, allowing you to spread out all the way to the edge of the bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction offers mild pressure relief from the quilted top layer of its pillow and ample firmness from its pocketed coil support layer. The mattress also offers zones of support (a combination of softer and more firm foams, based on the area) to help ease backaches and muscle pains, specifically on your back.
Apart from the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool sleeping. It has a breathable cover constructed out of sustainable Tencel and the coils provide an abundance of airflow. This will help those who sleep more keep a low temperature all night long.
Does this sound like the mattress of your dreams? Get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 rating on our scale of firmness it is a Bear is a good choice for those looking for a firm and supportive mattress. This comes from a thick layer of high-density foam in the middle, topped by a thinner layer of flexible transition foam.
There’s sufficient support for back sleepers, and they’ll also benefit from a shape from a cushion of comfort foam filled by graphite gel. This helps the mattress stay cool, as does a covering made of breathable, light material known as Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only noticeable characteristic of Celliant. There are studies that show it can increase blood flow, which could help with recovery. It makes Bear a great fit for athletes or anyone who practices an active lifestyle.
If you’re looking to snuggle in Bear Bear, get our best deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers require lots of support to keep their spines neutrally aligned while also getting requisite pressure relief to prevent pain in their lower back. They may find a winning combination in the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress that combines the combination of memory foam, poly foam, with pocketed coils.
These materials give the DreamCloud slightly firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re on top bed. While at the same time they’ll receive a touch of comfort due to the memory foam.
In addition, the memory foam is infused with cooling gel in the form of an infusion which prevents it from storing heat as traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils allow space for a lot of airflow.
If you end up opting for the DreamCloud be aware that it’s quite a heavy bed, so it might be beneficial to help you with moving it into your home (and possibly setup) after it’s arrived.
Are you sold on you’re interested in the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to find our top bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are looking for a mattress that will keep you cool at night The GhostBed Luxe could be the ideal mattress you’re looking for. This mattress is built with cooling technology to draw your body’s warmth away from sleepers.
First, there’s an infusion of Phase Change Material, a special textile which draws heat away from the sleeping person and feels cool to the skin. It also comes with the gel memory foam that, in addition to being cool, provides plenty of comfort and cushioning.
Another notable cooling characteristic is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is known as the brand that has the “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on many of its mattresses. Also made with a phase change material, it aids in ensuring that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the feel. Its only disadvantage is that it could be slippery, which is why you may prefer sheets that are fitted to your bed that keeps everything neat and secure.
For feel In terms of comfort, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and is expected to provide those who sleep on their sides and backs the perfect balanced amount of support and comfort. It’s also a great option for couples because of its fantastic motion absorption and bounciness (a bonus for couples).
If your primary concern is maintaining coolness, you’ll be delighted with GhostBed Luxe. GhostBed Luxe. Click here for the most affordable price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who has had issues with back discomfort in the past, this Casper Wave Hybrid is a great alternative. It is a combination of soft top foams and sturdy steel coils that assists in keeping your spine in a healthy position and helps prevent back pain. Actually the support is so robust that it could be a great option for people who sleep heavily over 250 lb.
However, it’s not the only position that is suitable to sleep in the Casper Wave Hybrid. You should feel very at ease sleeping on your back. Your shoulders should sink into the bed and allow you to get some refreshing pressure relief while your hips still feel comfortable and supported.
Hot sleepers will be comfortable on the Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer has a lot of room to allow airflow, and the comfort layer is made of what’s called Airscape foam. The aerated structure is highly airy and as an added touch, it has an extremely thin layer of cooling gel on the top. All of these features will help to keep the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note the fact that it’s a responsive bed and doesn’t have the more sluggish feel like memory foam. So if you’re a fan of that quicksand feeling, you may want to reconsider your options.
Think the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and discomforts? Check out our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and the Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils for a mixture of comfort and support. In general, we’d say it’s a bit soft with a score of 6/10 on our firmness scale (for the sake of context, the medium-firm range is 6.5/10). This is what makes this model Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers who can expect to feel fantastic pressure relief as their hips and shoulders sink into the cushion of comfort.
It’s worth noting that the comfort section is composed of not only one, but two layers of foam: 2inches of ArcticTex fibers, and an AirFoamICE stretch. Both are designed to keep the sleeper comfortable, the former being a graphite-infused variant of the original Nolah AirFoam used in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who prefer mattresses that are soft might like the Nolah as it’s a comfy choice for couples. It’s not just that they’ll get that mix of support and comfort that we mentioned — they’ll be able stretch out because of the bed’s patented HDMax Eco-Support Coils. With a height of 8′ they are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam that supports both sides of the bed, and also the middle. This means that Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really exceptional edge support.
Are it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress you wanted above then you could benefit from one of our mattress guides that are more specific. Below are a few of my suggestions based upon body type, age, sleep positions, managing pain, and much more.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattresses that cushion the pressure points in their shoulders and hips. We have compiled a list of the best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate combination of pressure relief and support to keep their spines in a straight line, and they’ll typically find that in a medium-firm mattress. You can find high-end choices in the top mattress that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers need a firm bed that keeps their hips in alignment to their shoulders. Find out more about why this is essential in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are simple to move around and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a cushioned mattress with a medium-firm feel, like the ones we have in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely upon coils to support. They usually are firm and bouncy in feel and work well for back, stomach and combo sleepers. We have a list of our best innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses use a mix of coils and foam and their feeling varies widely. Check out the top hybrid mattresses to learn more.
- Foam mattresses don’t have coil support. They use layers of foam to provide cushioning and support to the sleeping person. Mattresses made of memory foam are popular kind of all-foam mattress which provide a great body contouring and pressure relief. Check out the best memory foam mattresses to find out more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are usually constructed using green Dunlop and Talalay latex. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncey. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy typically like these mattresses. Check out the top latex mattresses for more information on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses utilize air to provide support to the sleeper throughout the night! The best adjustable beds are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Find out more about them in our roundup of best air mattresses..
The choice of a bed that reduces pain is especially important sleepers who suffer from chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that can help you with kinds of pain. Based on your needs I’d suggest you look at the best mattresses for shoulder pain, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the best sciatica mattresses articles to find out more about pain management solutions.
- If you want a durable value mattress, check out the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re interested in getting a top-quality mattress that’s worth the cost check out the most comfortable mattresses available for the price.
- If you’re on a tight budget, take a look at our best mattresses under $1,000 or the best mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of a mattress that sleeps cool I suggest one of the following: mattress made of latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. They tend to encourage the circulation of air, and this is important for keeping a low temperature during the night.
- My top breathable beds in our list of best cool mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers with light weights (under 130 lbs) typically discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I’d recommend those who sleep light to glance at top soft mattresses to ensure that they have the pressure relief they require.
- Heavy sleepers (over lb) require a mattress that offers an extra level of support to stop the mattress from sagging prematurely. Overall durability and edge support are usually important concerns. To learn how to choose the right mattress that is suitable for your body go to our site to find the top mattresses designed for heavy people.
- Kids have rapidly growing and changing bodies with specific sleep needs! Learn how to prioritize your child’s sleep health in our best mattresses for kids.
- The elderly (over 65) generally prefer more traditional-looking mattresses that provide mobility and support, but are still gentle on sensitive joints. I suggest looking at our top mattress for seniors to find a feel that works for you.
- Teenagers are growing at a rapid rate, and they have unique requirements for sleep, as well! Find out more about selecting a comfortable mattress for them in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a partner
- If you are sharing a bed with a spouse (or pet! ), it’s important to select a mattress that features low motion transfer. I would suggest looking at the most suitable mattresses for couples for a few examples and mattresses that offer exceptional edge support, cooling options and other requirements that couples may take into consideration.
- Also, couples looking for of the most comfortable mattresses for sexual intimacy are able to look through our guide to beds that are supple and comfortable enough for getting close.
Top Mattress Type For Side Sleeper FAQs
What should I budget on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here and it’s crucial to take your budget into consideration. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses in every price range! A budget mattress is generally considered to be one priced under $1000 for a queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress at least every seven to ten years. However, a mattress may be prone to sagging if you don’t put it on a suitable foundation or treat it with care. It is also possible to extend the life of a mattress a few months by using an mattress protector.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, it’s important to check the warranty. It will also provide you with an idea of the length it will last.
What is the most comfortable mattress to relieve back pain?
Most people who struggle with back pain will find the medium-firm or firm mattress is the best choice for their back. This kind of bed can assist you in keeping your spine straight overnight as well as help ease many of the back pain. If you’re looking for a mattress which will ease your back pain, check out our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping positions, stomach sleepers need the greatest amount of support. In this regard, they’re better off using mattresses with reinforced pocketed coils. If they’re looking at the mattresses on this list it’s they’re likely to choose the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. To get a larger choice, check out our roundup of the best mattress for stomach-sleepers.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers fall on the opposite side of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they usually prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) that have a lot of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. Many of the mattresses listed here should be a great match for those who sleep on their sides especially the Helix Midnight. Top Mattress Type For Side Sleeper