You’re looking to buy a brand new bed but aren’t sure where to begin. There are plenty of options available at brick and mortar establishments, but there are hundreds more rumbling around in the world of bed-in-a-box companies that are digital. So , what’s the ideal bed for you in 2022? Top Mattress For Side Sleepers Wirecutter
Remember that the word “best” is a bit subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features from their bed, so what is effective for one individual will not work for another.
This is why we have a variety of categories in mind when presenting our top picks. Our goal is that all users will be able find not just the “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s best for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we get into the nitty gritty of each of these beds we’d like to tell you some details about how we came to choose the beds.
At Scaramouch we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattress models through our bed lab, running every mattress through tests, including pressure-mapping and assessing motion transfer using a seismometer. From there, we give every bed an overall score in accordance with the material, comfort, support, edge support, and cooling. We also consider brand performance with categories like value and warranty.
Since we wanted our compilation of Best Mattresses to represent the best out of them, we looked at each mattress’s overall score into consideration. Every last mattress in this list is rated 4 or higher. The most highly-scored mattresses are Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which have scored an amazing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, you must find a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support, cushioning pressure relief, and quality materials that aren’t going to break down too quickly.
The Saatva has all the benefits of those costly models, but for a more affordable price. With a durable coil-on-coil design, it features a traditional innerspring feel that should be an ideal fit to a wide range of sleepers. It also comes with three different levels of firmness (Plush soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm), which further widens its appeal.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers should be most comfortable with the Luxury and Firm versions while those who sleep on their sides should prefer more of the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination will likely be able to change positions on any of the models thanks to the Saatva’s springy blend of comfort and support. The Saatva has even got an HD model specially designed for sleepers who are heavier.
Another benefit of the Saatva mattress is its coils give the bed outstanding edge support. You’ll be able to sleep or sit near the edge of the mattress without feeling like it’s about to fall down or make you fall over. The only issue with the Saatva’s springiness is that it creates quite a lot of motion transfer, which means that if you sleep with your partner, you might be able to feel each other’s movements during the night, especially if one (or both) is a light sleeper.
In the end, it’s worthwhile shining a light on some of the Saatva’s high-quality materials. It’s made from natural cotton, and is CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have be concerned about sleeping in a room with harmful chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become one of the most well-known brands in the mattress market due to its customizable. Customers can take a test on their sleep on the Helix website, which takes their body type, sleeping preferences, as well as other aspects into consideration , so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side sleeper, it’s likely that you’ll be pointed toward the Helix Midnight — a moderately firm mattress that gives the feeling of a hug. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and cradles delicate areas like shoulders and hips, which is crucial for those who sleep on their sides because it’s where they put the most stress when they sleep. Back sleepers should also be satisfied with this combination of support and comfort.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. Since it’s a hybrid that has a layer of pockets beneath the foams, which creates enough support for two persons. While this also results in a tiny bit of bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to disturb you or your partner. In addition, the firmness makes it a good mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a side sleeper who needs a little more pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking out Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, which includes additional foam layers. You can also check out more of our best-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re sold on the Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or buts about it. Mattresses can be extremely expensive. However, that doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. As an example Nectar mattress Nectar mattress is an excellent value buy that packs a serious comfort punch without costing you a fortune.
The current price is less than 1,000 for a queen bed after discounts This memory foam mattress is constructed of 5″ of plush mattress made of gel. This allows for ample comfort and a deep body contour which can be beneficial for side sleepers. You should also feel intense pressure relief and soft support around the shoulders and hips.
At the same time, the Nectar offers enough support thanks to its foam with high density below for back sleepers, who will appreciate the moderate thickness of its mattress. The best part is that the memory foam absorbs a ton of motion throughout the entire structure and makes it a fantastic pick for couples. If anyone is in search of a super-soft bed, they should check out Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, that comes with some extra features and bells.
Sold on this great value mattress? You can get a much more affordable bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you share a bed with someone else and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples need. It comes in a Medium, Soft, and Firm model which means that most couples will be in a position to find the bed that is right for their needs. Each of them has sturdy edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and solid motion isolation, keeping you from being a victim of your partner’s every turn and toss.
Couples must also consider cooling when shopping for an appropriate mattress, because two bodies produce much more heat to the body than one. This isn’t a problem with the Signature model, which features a naturally cooling, latex-like foam that is in the comfort layer. Additionally, it has a hybrid design with springs that have room for lots of airflow.
Another feature that will appeal to lovebirds will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it up to latex-like foam) and makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Also, it’s important to note that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the brand can pass on savings to the consumer. This makes it possible to make the Signature (and every one of the brand’s products) a budget-friendly mattress for couples, though one that still has an excellent, premium feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier sleeper (250 pounds or more) is the case, you’ll need an appropriate mattress that can comfortably support you. The WinkBed is available in four different levels of firmness: Softer, Luxury Firm firmer, Luxury Firm, and then the Plus. The Plus is made of reinforced steel coils specifically designed for people who weigh more. These strengthened springs also result in stronger edge support permitting you to spread until the very end of the bed.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction gives you some gentle pressure relief from its pillow-top quilted layer as well as ample firmness thanks to its coil-like support layer. It also comes with zoned support (a mixture of soft and firmer foams, based on the area) to help you alleviate discomfort and pain, particularly on your back.
Outside of it being the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool-sleeping. The cover is breathable and made from eco-friendly Tencel and the coils permit an abundance of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers keep a low temperature all night long.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 rating on our scale of firmness, the Bear will appeal to those who are looking for a comfortable and supportive mattress. The Bear has a dense layer of high-density foam in the middle, followed by a thin layer of responsive transition foam.
There should be sufficient support for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also get a little bit of contouring from the comfort layer of memory foam coated by graphite. This helps the mattress stay cool, as does a mattress cover made of breathable and lightweight material called Celliant.
However, it’s not the only noteworthy feature of Celliant. Some studies show that it also promotes blood flow and could aid with recovery. This makes the Bear a great fit for athletes or anyone who lives an active life.
If you’re eager to curl up on your Bear, get our most affordable deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers require lots of support to ensure their spines are aligned while also getting requisite pressure relief to prevent pain in low back. They might find a good combination in the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress that combines an amalgamation consisting of poly foam, as well as pocketed coils.
These materials give the DreamCloud slightly firmer than medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel like they’re sitting on top of the mattress. At the same time they’ll feel a bit of a hug by the foam memory.
In addition, the memory foam has cooling gel in the form of an infusion that prevents it from absorbing heat like traditional memory foam does. The bed’s coils allow room for quite a bit of airflow.
If you do end up opting for the DreamCloud Be aware that it’s a very heavy mattress, and it could be beneficial to assist in the process of the move into your house (and maybe even setting it up) once it arrives.
Are you sold on your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to find our top deal.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper looking for a mattress that will help to cool down during the night The GhostBed Luxe could be the one for you. This mattress is built with cooling technology to draw your body’s warmth away from sleeping.
First, there’s an injection of Phase Change Material, a special fabric that absorbs heat from the sleeper and feels cool to the skin. Additionally, it has a layer of gel memory foam which, in addition to being cooling, offers lots of comfort and cushioning.
Another cool feature that is noteworthy as a brand GhostBed is well-known by the “Ghost Ice” cover on some of its mattresses. It is also made of the Phase Change Material, it assists in helping with keeping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the feel. The only drawback is that it is a little slippery, so you may prefer a fitted sheet on your bed to keep everything comfortable and cozy.
For feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and will give the back and side sleepers the perfect balance of comfort and support. It’s also a fantastic choice for couples due to its amazing motion absorption and bounciness (a plus for sex).
If you’re primarily concerned with staying cool, you’ll love this GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a back or side sleeper that has struggled with back discomfort in the past, the Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent option. It blends soft top foams and sturdy steel coils that helps keep the spine neutral position and helps prevent back pain. Actually the support is so solid that it can be a great alternative for those who weigh more than 250 lb.
But back-sleeping isn’t the only suitable position to sleep in the Casper Wave Hybrid. The mattress should be very comfortable sleeping on your side. Your shoulders should sink into your bed and give you some relief from pressure while your hips still are supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will feel right at home on the Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer has a lot of room for airflow, and the comfort layer is constructed from what’s known as Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely comfortable and, as an additional bonus, it comes with a thin layer of cooling gel on top. These features should help you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth noting the fact that it’s a very responsive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feeling like memory foam. If you’re fond of that quicksand feeling, you may want to consider a different bed.
Are you thinking that you’ll find that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and discomforts? Find us here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
As a hybrid, it Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a base layer of coils for a mixture of support and comfort. Overall, we’d say it’s on the soft side with a score of 6/10 on our firmness scale (for context medium firm is 6.5/10). This means that Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side who will feel fantastic pressure relief as their hips and shoulders slide into the comfort layer.
It’s worth noting that this comfort section is made of not one, but two layers of foam: 2” of ArcticTex fibers and an AirFoamICE stretch. Both of them are specifically designed to keep sleepers comfortable, the latter being a graphite-infused variation from the first Nolah AirFoam found in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who prefer an extra soft mattress may like the Nolah, plus it’s also an ideal choice for couples. Not only will they experience the mix of support and comfort that we mentioned — they’ll be able to stretch because of the bed’s patented HDMax Eco-Support Coils. at 8” tall the springs are encased in Edge-Tech support foam, which supports the sides of the bed and also the middle. That means you can rest assured that the Nolah Evolution has some really exceptional edge support.
Is you sure that the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress that you were looking for, you might benefit from one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Here are some of my suggestions based on body type and age, sleeping position, and pain management, and more.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion the pressure points on their hips and shoulders. Take a look at our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require a good combination of pressure relief and support to ensure their spines remain straight, and usually, that’s in a medium-firm mattress. There are some top-quality alternatives in the top mattress that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive bed that keeps their hips in alignment in a straight line with the shoulders. Find out why this is important in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Combination sleepers usually prefer mattresses that are easy to move about and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a mattress that is bouncy and has a a medium-firm feel, like the ones in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are based in coil systems to provide support. They typically are firm and bouncy in feel, and are suitable for back, stomach and mixed sleepers. Check out our top innerspring mattresses to find out more.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of foam and coil support and their comfort is different. Take a look at the top hybrid mattresses for more information.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They employ layers of foam to cushion and help the sleeping person. Mattresses made of memory foam are favored type of all-foam mattress that provide a great body contouring and pressure relief. Look over the top mattress made of memory foam to learn more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are typically constructed from green Dunlop or Talalay latex. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncey. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy typically like these mattresses. Look over the best latex mattresses for more on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses use air to help sleepers throughout the night! A few of the most comfortable adjustable beds are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Get more information in our roundup of the best air mattresses.
The choice of a bed that helps mitigate pain is especially important sleepers who suffer from chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that could help with several different kinds of pain. Based on your needs I’d suggest looking into the best mattresses for shoulder pain, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the best sciatica mattresses articles to know more about pain management solutions.
- If you’re looking for a sturdy value mattress, take a look at the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re interested in getting a top-quality mattress which is worth the price, take a look at the most comfortable mattresses available for the money.
- If you’re on a tight budget, see our top mattresses for under $1,000 or the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re looking for a mattress that sleeps cool I suggest an innerspring, Latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. They are a great way to increase the circulation of air, and this is essential to keep the temperature low during the night.
- My top air-conditioned beds in our list of the most comfortable cool mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers with light weights (under 130 pounds) typically discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I’d suggest for these sleepers to take a review of the most comfortable mattresses to make sure they receive the relief they require.
- Heavy sleepers (over 1 lb) need a bed that offers additional support to avoid premature mattress sagging. Overall durability and edge support are typically the main concerns. To find out how to pick the right mattress for your body type, visit our page to find the best mattresses for heavy people.
- Children are rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique sleeping needs! Learn to prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- The elderly (over 65) typically prefer traditional feeling mattresses that offer support and mobility, but aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I’d recommend taking a look at our best mattresses for older people to discover a feeling that works for you.
- Teenagers are growing at a rapid rate, and they have specific sleeping needs too! Learn more about choosing an appropriate mattress in our best mattresses for teenagers.
Sharing a bed with a partner
- If you have a bed to share with a spouse (or pet! ), it’s important to pick an option that is low in motion transfer. I would suggest looking at the best mattresses for couples for some examples and beds with impressive Edge support and cooling options as well as other features that couples may take into consideration.
- Similarly, couples in search of the best mattress for sex should browse our list of beds that are supple and comfortable enough to allow you to get close.
Top Mattress For Side Sleepers Wirecutter FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s not a definitive answer for this but it’s essential to take your personal budget into consideration. There are a variety of great mattresses to be found at nearly every price point! A budget mattress is typically considered one that costs less than $1,000 for a Queen-sized.
How often should I replace my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress each 7-10 years. However, a mattress may fall over prematurely if it isn’t put it on a suitable foundation or treat it with care. You can also extend the lifespan of an old mattress for several months by putting on the mattress topper.
If you are buying a new bed, you need to look over its warranty, which will give you a good idea of the length it should last.
What is the best mattress for back discomfort?
The majority of people with back pain find that a medium or firm mattress is best for them. This kind of bed can help you keep your spine straight overnight, which can help alleviate some of the pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will ease your back pain, take a look at our top mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all the sleeping positions, stomach sleepers need the most support. With that in mind, they’re advised to choose a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re thinking about the mattresses in this list, the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. If they want a wider choice, look through our list of the best mattress for stomach-sleepers.
What’s the ideal mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers are on the opposite side of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they tend to prefer soft beds (or medium-firm) that have a lot of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. Many of the mattresses listed here should be ideal for those who sleep on their sides especially those who sleep on the Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Side Sleepers Wirecutter