You’re looking for a new mattress, but don’t know where to start. There are many options to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments however, there are hundreds more rumbling around in the world of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best mattresses for the year 2022? Top Mattress For Side Sleepers Consumer Reports
Well, keep in mind that the term “best” is a bit subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features of a mattress, and what’s best for one person may not work for another.
That’s why we kept a wide range of different categories when presenting our top choices. We hope that the majority of people will be able to get not only an “best” mattress and not just the one that’s most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
The best mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we really dive into the in-depth details of each of these beds We’d like to talk an overview of the method we used to select them.
At Scaramouch, we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattress models in our mattress lab. We’ve put every one of them through tests, including pressure-mapping and assessing motion transfer using seismometer. Then, we assign each mattress an overall score in accordance with the material and comfort, support, edge support, and cooling. We also take into account brand performance with categories like warranty and value.
Since we wanted our roundup of Best Mattresses to represent the best of the best, we took each bed’s overall score into consideration. Each mattress in this list is rated 4 or higher. The highest-scoring beds are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which scored an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, you must look for a bed that ticks all the right boxes. You want something with good support as well as pressure relief that cushions and quality mattress materials that don’t fall apart too fast.
The Saatva has all the advantages of the more expensive models, but at lower costs. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil design, it features a traditional innerspring feeling that is suitable to a wide range of sleepers. It’s also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm), which makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Back and stomach sleepers will be most comfortable with the Luxury and Firm versions while side sleepers should enjoy using the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination, they’ll likely be able to easily switch positions on any model, thanks to the Saatva’s springy combination of support and comfort. The Saatva has even got an HD model designed specifically for heavier sleepers.
Another benefit of the Saatva mattress is its coils offer the mattress outstanding edge support. You should be able to sleep or sit near the edge of the mattress without feeling like it’s going to fall over or make you fall over. The only downside to the Saatva’s springiness is that it creates an extremely high amount of motion transfer so if you’re sleeping with an individual, you could feel each other’s movements at night, especially if one or both of you are the type of sleeper who is light.
Finally, it’s worth shining a light on some of the Saatva’s high-quality materials. It’s made from organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you won’t have be concerned about sleeping in a room with toxic chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has grown to be one of the most well-known names in the mattress game because of its customization. Customers can take a test on their sleep via the Helix website, which takes their body type, sleep preferences, and many other factors into account so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side-sleeper most likely, you’ll be directed towards the Helix Midnight — a medium-firm mattress that offers the feeling of a hug. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body, and it cradles vulnerable areas such as the hips and shoulders. This is crucial for those who sleep on their sides because it’s where they put the most pressure when they sleep. Back sleepers must also be happy with this combination of comfort and support.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a excellent mattress for couples who sleep side-by-side. Because it’s a hybrid mattress that has a layer of pockets beneath the foams that provide sufficient support to accommodate two people. While this also results in some bounce, it’s not enough to cause any major disturbance to you or your partner. Plus, the responsiveness makes it a great mattress for sex.
If you’re a side-sleeper looking for a bit more plush pressure relief, I’d suggest checking out Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, which includes extra foam layers. It’s also possible to look at our other top-rated mattresses for side sleepers. If you’re convinced by Helix Midnight, you can purchase it here. Helix Midnight, get our lowest price here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or buts about it. Mattresses aren’t cheap. But that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot to get a good night’s Zzz’s. For instance Nectar mattress Nectar mattress is an excellent quality mattress with a significant relaxation punch, without costing you a fortune.
The current price is less than $1,000 for a Queen after discounts The memory foam bed is made by using 5″ of soft Gel memory foam. This provides ample comfort and a deep body contour which can be beneficial for sleepers who are side-sleeping. They should also feel some intense pressure relief and soft support around the hips and shoulders.
In addition, the Nectar provides enough support with the high-density foam beneath for back sleepers, who should enjoy the medium thickness of its mattress. What’s more is that the memory foam is able to absorb a lot of motion across the entire structure which makes it an ideal pick for couples. If you’re in the market of a super-soft bed, they should check out Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, with additional features and bells.
Sold on this great value mattress? Get an even more affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you share a bed with your partner and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples need. It comes in a Soft, Medium and Firm version, so most couples should be able to find the right bed for their preferences. Each of them has sturdy edges (which make the bed feel larger) and a solid motion-isolation, preventing you from being a victim of your partner’s every twist and turn.
Couples should also take cooling into consideration when looking for an appropriate mattress, because two bodies give off greater body temperature than one. This shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature model, which features an naturally cool, latex-like foam that is in the comfort layer. Additionally, it has an innovative hybrid design, with springs that can accommodate lots of airflow.
Another characteristic that is sure to be attractive to lovers are the signature’s bounciness (chalk it up to the latex-like foam) and makes it a great mattress for sex. It’s also worth noting the fact that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand can pass on savings onto the customer. This makes Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature Signature (and all of the brand’s products) a budget-friendly mattress for couples, though one that has a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 pounds and above) is the case, you’ll need a mattress that’s going to adequately support you. The WinkBed is available with four levels of firmness including Luxury Firm, Softer firmer, Luxury Firm, and then the Plus, which is constructed with steel reinforced coils that are designed to support heavier people. These strengthened springs also result in extra-strong edge support, which allows you to spread until the edge in the mattress.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction offers mild pressure relief from its quilted pillow-top layer and plenty of firm support from its pocketed coil support layer. It also comes with zoned support (a combination of softer and firmer foams, based on the region) to help ease discomfort and pain, particularly in your back.
Outside of the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool-sleeping. It has a breathable cover constructed from eco-friendly Tencel, and the coils provide an abundance of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers keep a low temperature through the entire night.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Get the best price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 score on our scale of firmness, the Bear is a good choice for those who are looking for a comfortable and supportive mattress. This comes from a thick layer of high-density foam at the bottom, over which is a lighter layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s likely to be sufficient support for back sleepers, and they’ll also get a little bit of contouring from a comfortable layer of memory foam that’s filled by graphite gel. This helps the mattress stay cool, as does a covering made of breathable, light material known as Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only noticeable feature of Celliant. There are studies that show it also promotes blood flow and might help with recovery. This makes the Bear a great fit for anyone who is active.
If you’re looking to snuggle up on your Bear, get our most affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require lots of support to keep their spines neutrally aligned and also get the pressure relief to prevent pain at low back. They might find a good combination in the DreamCloud hybrid mattress that combines the combination consisting of poly foam as well as pocketed coils.
These materials give the DreamCloud just a bit firmer than the medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re sitting on top of the mattress. While at the same time they’ll receive a bit of a hug from the memory foam.
In addition, the memory foam comes with cooling gel in the form of an infusion, keeping it from trapping heat like traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils allow room for quite a bit of airflow.
If you do end up choosing the DreamCloud, know that it’s a hefty bed, so it might be a good idea to help you with moving it into your house (and perhaps setting it up) once it arrives.
Have you bought you’re interested in the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here for our best deal.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper seeking a bed that will help keep you cool at night, the GhostBed Luxe could be the one that is right for you. The mattress has cooling technology that helps draw your body’s warmth away from the sleeper.
First, there’s an infusion of Phase Change Material, a special textile which draws heat away from the person sleeping and is cool to the skin. Additionally, it has a layer of gel memory foam which, in addition to being cool, provides plenty of cushioning and pain relief.
Another notable cooling characteristic is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is famous for the “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on the majority mattress models. It is also made of a Phase Change Material, it aids in ensuring that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the touch. The only drawback is that it could be slippery, and you might need to put a fitted sheet on your bed to keep it neat and secure.
In terms of comfort In terms of comfort, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and should offer the back and side sleepers the perfect balance of comfort and support. It’s also a fantastic choice for couples because of its amazing motion absorption and its bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your main concern is keeping cool, then you’ll enjoy this GhostBed Luxe. Click here for the best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper that has struggled with back discomfort in the past, this Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent alternative. It is a combination of soft top foams with supportive steel coilsthat helps keep your spine in a balanced alignment and prevents back issues. In fact, the support is so robust that it could be a good option for people who sleep heavily over 250 pounds.
But it’s not the only suitable position that works with Casper Wave Hybrid. Casper Wave Hybrid. The mattress should be comfortable sleeping on your side. Your shoulders should sink into the bed and give you some relief from the pressure, and your hips should are supported.
Additionally, hot sleepers should be comfortable with the Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer offers plenty of space for airflow. The comfort layer is constructed from what’s known as Airscape foam. Its aerated shape is extremely breathable, and as an added bonus, it comes with an extremely thin layer of cooling gel that is placed on the top. These features should help you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth pointing out the fact that it’s a receptive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feeling like memory foam. If you’re a lover of the quicksand feel it might be a good idea to reconsider your options.
Are you thinking that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Shop here for our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and this Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils that provide the perfect blend of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say that it’s a bit soft with a score of 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for context, the medium-firm range is 6.5/10). This means that Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side who can expect to feel incredible pressure relief when their hips and shoulders are sunk into the cushion of comfort.
It’s worth noting that the comfort section is comprised of not just only one, but two layers of foam. There’s 2 inches of ArcticTex fibers, and an AirFoamICE stretch. Both of them are made to keep the user at a comfortable temperature, with the latter being a graphite-infused version of the original Nolah AirFoam that is found in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who prefer mattresses that are soft might appreciate the Nolah as it’s a comfy choice for couples. They’ll not only experience the mix of support and comfort we mentioned — they’ll be able stretch out due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco-Support Coils. at 8” tall they are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam for support, which is used to support the sides of the mattress, as well as the middle. That means the Nolah Evolution has some really amazing edge support.
Are you sure that it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you weren’t able to find the mattress you wanted above, you might benefit from one of our mattress guides that are more specific. Below are a few of my recommendations based on the type of body, age, sleep positions, pain management, and more.
- Side sleepers are best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that cushion pressure points at their shoulders and hips. We have compiled a list of the best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require an ideal balance of pressure relief and support to keep their spines straight, and they’ll typically find that in a mattress that is medium-firm. They can find some high-quality choices in the best mattress that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive mattress that keeps their hips aligned with their shoulders. Find out why this is important in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are easy to move around and change positions on. I would suggest these sleepers stick to a cushioned mattress with a medium-firm feel, like the ones in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are based upon coils to support. They typically feature a firm, bouncy feel and work well for back, stomach, and mixed sleepers. We have a list of our best innerspring mattresses to learn more.
- Hybrid mattresses are made up of a mixture of coils and foam, and their feel is different. Take a look at the top hybrid mattresses for more information.
- Foam mattresses do not have any coil support. They make use of layers of foam that cushion and support the sleeper. They are the most favored type of all-foam mattress , which offers a wide range of body-contouring and relief from pressure. Check out the most comfortable memory foam mattresses to know more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are typically constructed using environmentally friendly Dunlop and Talalay Latex Foam. These beds are naturally cooling and lively. Heavy people and sleepers in combination typically like these beds. Look over the top latex mattresses to learn more about this natural material.
- Air mattresses utilize air to provide support to the sleeper throughout the night! A few of the most comfortable adjustable mattresses are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Find out more about them in our roundup of the best air mattresses.
Choosing a sleep surface that can help ease pain is particularly important for sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve compiled a list of mattress options that can help you with different kinds of pain. Depending on what you need I’d suggest you look at the best mattress for pain in the shoulder, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the best sciatica mattresses articles to find out more about pain relief solutions.
- If you want a durable value mattress, check out the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re looking at finding a bed of high-end quality that’s worth the price consider looking at the best mattresses for the money.
- If you’re on a strict budget, check out our top mattresses that cost less than 1,000 as well as the most affordable mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re looking for a mattress that sleeps cool, I’d recommend opting for an innerspring, mattress made of latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. These beds tend to promote ventilation, which can be important for keeping the temperature at a minimum at night.
- You can see my favorite mattresses that breathe in our roundup of best cool mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers with light weights (under 130 lb) will often find mattresses firmer than average-weight sleepers. I’d recommend those who sleep light to glance at most comfortable mattresses to ensure that they receive the relief they need.
- Heavy sleepers (over lb) require a mattress that provides an extra level of support to stop premature mattress sagging. Edge support and overall durability are typically the main concerns. For more information on how to select the best mattress that is suitable for your body go to our site for best mattresses for heavy people.
- Children are rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique sleep needs! Find out how you can prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- The elderly (over 65) generally prefer more traditional feeling mattresses that offer flexibility and support, yet are still gentle on sensitive joints. I suggest looking at our top mattress for older people to discover a feeling that works for you.
- Teens are still growing, and they have unique requirements for sleep, too! Learn more about how to choose a comfortable mattress for them in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a partner
- If you have a bed to share with a spouse (or pet! ) it is essential to select one that has low motion transfer. I would suggest looking at the best mattresses for couples for some examples including beds with impressive Edge support and cooling options as well as other features that couples may be thinking about.
- Similarly, couples in search of the most comfortable mattresses for sexual intimacy are able to check out our guide for beds that are supple and comfortable enough for getting close.
Top Mattress For Side Sleepers Consumer Reports FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here, so it’s important to take your own budget into consideration. There are a variety of great mattresses in every price range! In general, a mattress that is budget-friendly is usually considered to be one that’s under $1,000 for a Queen-sized.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your old mattress at least every seven to ten years. However, a mattress can fall over prematurely if it isn’t place it on a proper foundation or treat it roughly. It is also possible to extend the lifespan of an old mattress for several months by adding a mattress topper.
When you purchase a brand new bed, it’s important to look over the warranty. It can also give you a good idea of the length it should last.
What is the best mattress to relieve back discomfort?
Most people who struggle with back pain find the medium-firm or firm mattress is best for them. The type of mattress you choose will assist you in keeping your spine straight during the night and can ease a lot of back pain. If you’re looking for a mattress which can help with your specific back pain, take a look at our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress to stomach sleepers?
Of all the sleeping positions, stomach sleepers need the greatest amount of support. In this regard, they’re advised to choose a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re looking at the mattresses on this list it’s the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva might be viable options. For a more expansive selection, they can always check out our roundup of the best sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the best mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers fall on the other side of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they tend to prefer softer beds (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. The majority of mattresses on this list should be ideal for those who sleep on their sides especially Helix Midnight. Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Side Sleepers Consumer Reports