If you’re looking for a new mattress but have no idea what to look for. Not only are there choices available at brick and mortar establishments however, there are hundreds more swirling within the realm of digital bed-in-a-box brands. So what’s the best bed for you in 2022? Top Mattress For Side Sleeper Consumer Reports
Keep in mind that the concept of “best” is somewhat subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features of a mattress, and what’s best for one person might not be suitable for someone else.
That’s why we made sure to keep a broad range of different categories when we made our top picks. Our hope is that most users will be able discover not only the “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s the best fit for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we dive into the in-depth details of each of these beds, we’d like to share a little bit about the process we used to select these beds.
At Scaramouch we’ve evaluated more than 220 products through our bed lab. We’ve put each one through tests such as pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer using seismometer. Then, we assign each mattress an overall score according to the materials used as well as comfort, support cooling, and edge support. We also take into account brand performance with categories like value and warranty.
Since we wanted our roundup of Best Mattresses to represent the top out of them, we really took each bed’s overall score into account. Each mattress listed here has an overall score of 4 out of 5 or more. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both of which scored an amazing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, you must find a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You’re looking for a mattress with excellent support and pressure relief cushioning, and top-quality materials that aren’t going to fall apart too fast.
The Saatva provides all the advantages of expensive models, but at a more affordable price. With a durable coil-on-coil structure, it offers the traditional innerspring feel , which is a good fit for all types of sleepers. It’s also available in three different firmness levels (Plush Luxury Firm, Soft Luxury Firm and Firm) that further widens its appeal.
Back and stomach sleepers will be most comfortable on Luxury or Firm models while side sleepers will appreciate more of the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper, they’ll likely be able to quickly change positions on any of the models because of the Saatva’s springy combination of support and comfort. There’s even an HD model specially designed for heavier sleepers.
Another added bonus of the Saatva mattress is that its coils provide the mattress with an exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to sleep or sit close to the edge of the mattress without fearing that it’s going to fall over or cause you to fall off. The only downside to the Saatva’s springiness is that it causes fairly high motion transfer, meaning that if you sleep with your partner, you might be able to feel each other’s movements during the late at night, particularly if either (or both) is a light sleeper.
Finally, it’s worth shining the spotlight on the Saatva’s high-quality materials. It’s made with natural cotton, and is CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t need the worry of sleeping near dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become one of the most recognizable names in the mattress industry due to its customizable. Customers are able to take a sleep test on the Helix website that takes their body type, sleep preferences, as well as other aspects into account so that the brand can recommend the ideal mattress.
If you’re a sleeper on the side, it’s likely that you’ll be pointing towards the Helix Midnight, which is a medium-firm mattress that offers an enveloping feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and cradles vulnerable areas such as the hips and shoulders, which is essential for side sleepers since this is where they place the most pressure when they sleep. Back sleepers must also be happy with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a excellent mattress for couples who sleep side-by-side. As a hybrid that has a layer of pocketed coils below the foams that provide adequate support for 2 people. While this also results in some bounce, it’s not enough to cause any major disturbance to either of you. Additionally, the mattress’s responsiveness makes it a good mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a side sleeper who needs a little more pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking out the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with more foam layer. You can also check out more of our top-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re sold on Helix Midnight, you can purchase it here. Helix Midnight, get our lowest price here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or buts about it — mattresses can be extremely expensive. But that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. For instance Nectar mattress Nectar mattress is an excellent bargain with a significant relaxation punch, without spending a lot of money.
At present, it is priced under $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts This memory foam mattress is built of 5″ of plush Gel memory foam. This gives you plenty of relaxation and body contouring that can work wonders for sleepers who are side-sleeping. They should also feel some extreme pressure relief as well as soft support around the shoulders and hips.
At the same time it is also a good choice for back sleepers. Nectar has enough support in its high-density foam below for back sleepers, who are likely to appreciate the moderate thickness of its mattress. Additionally, the memory foam can withstand a great deal of motion throughout the entire structure and makes it a fantastic choice for couples. And if anyone’s in search of a mattress that’s super soft you should look into Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, with additional bells and whistles.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? Get an even more affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you’re sleeping with someone else The Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples require. It comes in three different sizes: Soft, Medium and Firm version and most couples will be able to find a bed that works for them. All models have solid edges (which make the bed feel bigger) and a solid motion-isolation, preventing you from being a victim of your partner’s every twist and turn.
Couples should be aware of cooling when shopping for a new mattress, as two bodies give off much more heat to the body than one. However, this should not be a problem for the Signature, which has an naturally cool, latex-like foam that is in the comfort layer. Furthermore, it comes with an innovative hybrid design, with springs that allow for plenty of airflow.
Another feature that will appeal to lovebirds will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it to latex-like foam) and makes it a good mattress for sex. Also, it’s important to note it’s worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, meaning that the company can pass on savings on to customers. This means that it possible to make the Signature (and all of the brand’s products) a budget-friendly mattress for couples, though one that has a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier person (250 lb and over) and you’re looking for a mattress that’s going to comfortably support you. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes in four firmness levels: Softer, Luxury Firm as well as Firmer. Then there’s the Plus, which is made of reinforced steel coils that are designed to support heavier people. These springs are strengthened, resulting in stronger edge support which allows you to spread until the edge in the mattress.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides gentle pressure relief from its quilted pillow-top layer and ample firmness thanks to its coil-like support layer. It also provides zones of support (a combination of softer and more firm foams, based on the area) to help you alleviate backaches and muscle pains, specifically in your back.
Apart from the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool to sleep. The cover is breathable and made of eco-friendly Tencel and the coils provide plenty of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers to keep their temperature at a minimum through the entire night.
Do you think this is the mattress of your dreams? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 score on our scale of firmness, the Bear will appeal to those who are looking for a comfortable and comfortable bed. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density support foam at the bottom, over which is a lighter layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s plenty of support for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also benefit from a more contouring with the comfort layer of memory foam coated by graphite. This keeps the mattress cool, and so does a mattress cover made of breathable and lightweight material called Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only notable characteristic of Celliant. There are studies that show it can also improve blood flow, which could help in the recovery process. This makes the Bear a great fit for those who is active.
If you’re looking to snuggle in the Bear, get our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require a lot of support to keep their spines aligned, while also receiving the necessary relief from pressure in their lower back. They might find a good combination with the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress made up of a tandem consisting of poly foam and pocketed coils.
These materials give the DreamCloud just a bit firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers will feel as if they’re on top of the mattress. In addition they’ll feel a squeeze by the foam memory.
In addition, the memory foam has cooling gel in the form of an infusion which prevents it from storing heat like the traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils allow enough space to allow for plenty of airflow.
If you do end up choosing the DreamCloud be aware that it’s a hefty bed, so it might be beneficial to assist you in moving it into your home (and possibly setup) once it arrives.
Are you sold on you’re interested in the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best price.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a sleeper who is hot looking for a mattress that will to cool down during the night The GhostBed Luxe could be the one that is right for you. This mattress is built with cooling technology that draws your body’s warmth away from sleepers.
The first is an injection of Phase Change Material, a special type of fabric which draws heat away from the person sleeping and is cool to the skin. Additionally, it has the gel memory foam that, in addition to being cool, also provides lots of comfort and cushioning.
One other notable cooling feature as a brand GhostBed is known by their “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on many of its mattresses. Also made with a Phase Change Material which helps to ensure that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the feel. The only downside is it is a little slippery, so you may want to use sheets that are fitted to your bed to keep everything nice and snug.
For feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and should offer the back and side sleepers the perfect balance of comfort and support. It’s also an excellent choice for couples due to its excellent motion absorption as well as the bounce (a plus for sex).
If your main concern is staying cool, you’ll love the GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who has had issues with back pain in the past, this Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent alternative. It is a combination of soft top foams with supportive steel coils, which helps keep your spine within a balanced alignment and prevents back issues. In fact the support is robust that it could be a great option for people who sleep heavily over 250 lb.
But it’s not the only option to sleep in Casper Wave Hybrid. Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel very comfortable sleeping on your side. Your shoulders should sink into the mattress and allow you to get some refreshing pressure relief while your hips still feel comfortable and supported.
Additionally, hot sleepers should feel comfortable with the Casper Wave Hybrid. The coil’s pocketed design provides plenty of room for airflow, and the comfort layer is constructed from what’s called Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely airy and as an added feature, it features an extremely thin layer of cooling gel that is placed on top. These features should aid in keeping to keep the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note the fact that it’s a receptive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feel like memory foam. If you’re fond of the feeling of a quicksand then you might want to look elsewhere.
You think you’ll find that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Shop here for the best price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and it Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a layer of coils for the perfect blend of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say it’s a bit soft with a score of 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for the sake of context, the medium-firm range is 6.5/10). This means that this model Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers, who should feel some fantastic pressure relief as their shoulders and hips slide into the comfortable layer.
It’s worth noting that this comfort section is composed of not only one, but two layers of foam: 2” of ArcticTex fibers and an airfoam ice stretch. Both of these materials are made to keep the user at a comfortable temperature, with the latter being a graphite-infused version from the first Nolah AirFoam used in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who like mattresses that are soft might enjoy the Nolah as it’s a comfy choice for couples. Not only will they feel that mixture of support and comfort we mentioned — they’ll be able to stretch thanks to the bed’s patent-pending HDMax Eco Support Coils. With a height of 8′, these springs are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam that holds up both sides of the mattress, and also the middle. That means you can rest assured that the Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Are it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress that you were looking for it, you may want to consider one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Below are a few of my recommendations based on body type and age, sleeping posture, the management of pain, among other things.
- Side sleepers do best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion the pressure points on their shoulders and hips. We have compiled a list of the top mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require a good balance of support and pressure relief to ensure their spines remain straight, and they’ll typically find that in the middle-firm range of mattresses. You can find high-end options in the top mattress to back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a firm bed that keeps their hips in alignment to their shoulders. Find out more about why this is essential in our top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are simple to move around on and switch positions on. I suggest that these sleepers adhere to a cushioned mattress with an average-firm feel, similar to the ones in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are based in coil systems to provide support. They usually are firm and bouncy in feel and work well for back, stomach and mixed sleepers. We have a list of our top innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of foam and coil support and their feeling is different. Find the most popular hybrid mattresses to learn more.
- Foam mattresses do not have any coil support. They use layers of foam that cushion and help the sleeping person. They are the most favored type of all-foam mattress that offer a lot of body-contouring and relief from pressure. Take a look at the best memory foam mattress to know more about these mattresses.
- Latex mattresses are typically constructed using environmentally friendly Dunlop as well as Talalay latex foam. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncy. Combination sleepers and heavy people often like these mattresses. Check out the most popular latex mattresses for more information on this natural material.
- Air mattresses utilize air to provide support to the sleeper throughout the night! The top adjustable beds are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Find out more about them in our roundup of best air mattresses.
Choosing a sleep surface that reduces the pain is crucial for those who live with chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that can help you with different kinds of pain. Based on the type of pain you’re experiencing I’d suggest looking into the most suitable pillows for shoulders, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain, or best mattresses for sciatica articles to know more about pain relief solutions.
- If you’re looking for a sturdy value mattress, check out the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re interested in finding a bed of high-end quality which is worth the price, take a look at the most comfortable mattresses available for the money.
- If you’re working on a strict budget, see our top mattresses that cost less than 1,000 or the most affordable mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of an ideal mattress for sleeping cool I would suggest you go with a mattress made of latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. They tend to encourage the circulation of air, and this is crucial for keeping the temperature at a minimum during the night.
- Here are my top air-conditioned beds in our list of the most comfortable mattress cooling.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers with light weights (under 130 lb) typically discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I’d suggest for these sleepers to take a glance at top soft mattresses to ensure that they receive the relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over lb) need a bed that provides an extra level of support to stop the mattress from sagging prematurely. Edge support and overall durability are usually important concerns. To learn how to choose the best mattress that suits your body, visit our page to find the best mattresses for heavy people.
- Children are rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique sleeping needs! Learn how to prioritize your child’s sleep in our top mattresses for kids..
- Seniors (over 65) generally prefer more traditional mattresses that offer mobility and support, but they are also gentle on joints. I suggest looking at our top mattress for older adults to find one that is suitable for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have unique sleeping needs as well! Learn more about how to choose an appropriate mattress in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a Partner
- If you have a bed to share with a spouse (or pet! ) It is important to choose an option that is low in motion transfer. I would suggest looking at the top couples’ mattresses for some examples including beds that have impressive edges, cool options and other requirements that couples may take into consideration.
- Similarly, couples in search of the most comfortable mattresses for sexual intimacy are able to look through our guide to mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough to get close.
Top Mattress For Side Sleeper Consumer Reports FAQs
What is the best price to spend on a mattress?
There’s no clear answer to this and it’s crucial to take your own budget into consideration. Thankfully, there are great mattresses to be found in every price range! In general, a mattress that is budget-friendly is typically considered one that’s under $1,000 for a Queen-sized.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, you should replace your old mattress at least every seven to ten years. But, mattresses can sag prematurely if you don’t place it on a proper foundation or treat it roughly. You can also prolong the life of a mattress that is old for a few months by putting on a mattress topper.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, it’s important to look over its warranty. This will give you a good idea of how long it’s expected to last.
What is the best mattress to relieve back stiffness?
Many people suffering from back pain discover that a firm or medium-firm mattress is ideal for their back. This type of bed will help you keep your spine straight during the night as well as help ease many of the back pain. If you are looking for a mattress that can help with your specific back pain, take a look at our top mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping positions, stomach sleepers require the greatest amount of support. This is why they’re advised to choose a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re thinking about the mattresses listed on this list it’s they’re likely to choose the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva are two options that could be worth considering. If they want a wider range, check out our roundup of the top sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers fall on the opposite side of the spectrum from stomach sleepers. Although they do require support, they tend to prefer softer beds (or medium-firm) that provide plenty of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. A majority of the mattresses in this list will be an ideal fit for side sleepers especially the Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Side Sleeper Consumer Reports