So you’re in the market to buy a brand new bed but have no idea where to start. Not only are there choices available at brick and mortar establishments however, there are hundreds of others circulating in the world of online bed-in-a box brands. What’s the most suitable mattresses for the year 2022? Top Mattress For Seniors
Keep in mind that the word “best” isn’t always the most accurate. Different types of sleepers require different features from their bed, so what works for one person may not work for another.
This is why we made sure to keep a broad range of categories in mind when making our top picks. Our hope is that most people will be able to find not just an “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s best for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our best mattresses of 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we dive into the nitty gritty of each bed we’d like to tell you an overview of the method we used to select them.
At Scaramouch we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattresses within our lab for mattresses. We’ve put each one through tests like pressure mapping and measuring motion transfer using a seismometer. We then give each mattress an overall score in accordance with the material, comfort, support, cooling, and edge support. We also consider brand performance with categories such as value and warranty.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the top among the top, we considered each bed’s overall score into account. Every mattress in this list has an overall score of 4 out of 5 or more. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which have scored an amazing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, you should find a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You want something with good support as well as pressure relief that cushions and high-quality materials that won’t break down too quickly.
The Saatva has all the advantages of costly models, but at an affordable cost. With a durable coil-on-coil design, it features an innerspring-like feel that should be an ideal fit for a variety of sleepers. It also comes in three different firmness levels (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm and Firm) and further widens its appeal.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers will be most comfortable on Luxury or Firm models while those who sleep on their sides should prefer more of the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination you’ll be able to easily change positions on any of the models, due to the Saatva’s soft combination of support and comfort. It even has an HD model designed specifically for sleepers who are heavier.
Another benefit of the Saatva is that its coils provide the mattress with outstanding edge support. You’ll be able to sit on or sleep close to the edge of your mattress without feeling like it’s about to fall down or make you fall over. The only downside to the Saatva’s springiness is that it creates fairly high motion transfer, meaning that if you sleep with your partner, you might be able to feel each other’s movements during the night, especially if one or the other are an eazy sleeper.
Finally, it’s worth shining the spotlight on the Saatva’s premium materials. It’s made of organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t need to worry about sleeping with toxic chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now an extremely notable names in the mattress industry due to its flexibility. Customers can take a sleep quiz on the Helix website and take the body type, sleep preferences, and many other factors into account so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side sleeper, it’s likely that you’ll be directed towards the Helix Midnight — an average-firm mattress that provides the feeling of a hug. The comfort layer of foam conforms to the body, and it cradles delicate areas like shoulders and hips, which is crucial for those who sleep on their sides since this is where they place the most stress when they sleep. Back sleepers should be content with this mix of comfort and support.
The Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. Since it’s a hybrid, there’s a layer of pockets beneath the foams, providing sufficient support to accommodate two persons. This also causes the slightest amount of bounce, it shouldn’t be enough to disturb the other person or you. Plus, the responsiveness makes it an ideal mattress for sex.
If you’re a side sleeper looking for a bit more plush pressure-relief, you should check into Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, which includes additional foam layers. Also, you can look at our other best-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re sold on this mattress, the Helix Midnight, get our lowest price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs, ands, or even buts about it. Mattresses can be extremely expensive. But that doesn’t mean that you need to shell out a lot just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. As an example, the Nectar mattress is a great value buy with a significant relaxation punch, without spending a lot of money.
Currently priced at under $1,000 for a Queen after discounts The memory foam bed is built by using 5″ of plush mattress made of gel. This gives you plenty of relaxation and body contouring that can work wonders for side sleepers. They will also feel immense pressure relief and cushiony support at the hips and shoulders.
At the same time it is also a good choice for back sleepers. Nectar provides enough support with its foam with high density below for those who sleep on their backs, and will appreciate the moderate level of firmness. What’s more is that the memory foam can withstand a great deal of movement across the mattress, making it a great pick for couples. If anyone is in search of a mattress that’s super soft and would like to know more about Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, with additional alarms.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? Find a better bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you share a bed with your partner, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples want. It is available in three different sizes: Soft, Medium and Firm version and most couples will be able to find the bed that is right for them. All of the options have strong edges (which make the bed feel larger) and a solid motion isolation, keeping your partner from feeling every turn and toss.
Couples should also take cooling into consideration when looking for an appropriate mattress, because two bodies emit much more heat to the body than one. However, this isn’t a problem with the Signature model, which features the naturally cooling similar to latex in the cushion layer. Additionally, it has an innovative hybrid design, with springs that allow for lots of airflow.
Another characteristic that is sure to attract lovers will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it up to latex-like foam) that makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Also, it’s important to note it’s worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, meaning that the company is able to pass savings to the consumer. This is what makes Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature Signature (and every one of the other products by the brand) a budget-friendly mattress for couples, though one that still has a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier person (250 pounds and above), then you need a mattress that will provide enough support. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes in four firmness levels that include Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s, the Plus, which is made of reinforced steel coils that are designed to support heavier people. These springs are strengthened, resulting in a stronger edge support, permitting you to spread to the end to the edge of your bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides gentle pressure relief from its quilted pillow-top layer and lots of support from its pocketed coil support layer. It also comes with zones of support (a mixture of soft and firmer foams, depending on the location) to help ease discomfort and pain, particularly on your back.
Apart from the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool to sleep. There’s a breathable cover made out of sustainable Tencel and the coils provide a ton of airflow. This can help sleepers who are heavier maintain a cool temperature through the entire night.
Do you think this is the mattress of your dreams? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
At a 7/10 on our firmness scale 7/10, the Bear is a good choice for those in search of a firm and supportive mattress. This comes from a thick layer of high-density foam in the middle, topped by a thinner layer of flexible transition foam.
There’s likely to be sufficient support for back sleepers, and they’ll also benefit from a more contouring with a cushion of comfort foam that’s filled by graphite. This makes the mattress cool, as does a mattress cover made of breathable and lightweight material called Celliant.
But cooling isn’t the only notable aspect of Celliant. Some studies show that it can also improve blood flow, which could help with recovery. This makes the Bear a great fit for athletes or anyone who lives an active life.
If you’re looking to snuggle up with your Bear, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require plenty of support to keep their spines aligned while also getting requisite relief from pressure to avoid pain in the lower back. They could find a great combination in the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress made up of the combination of memory foam, poly foam, and pocketed coils.
These materials make the DreamCloud slightly firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re sitting on top of the bed. At the same time they’ll receive a bit of a hug by the foam memory.
In addition, the memory foam has an infusion of cooling gel, keeping it from trapping heat like the traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils allow space for a lot of airflow.
If you do end up going for the DreamCloud, know that it’s quite a heavy bed, so it might be a good idea to assist you in the move into your home (and possibly setup) once it arrives.
Have you bought your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a sleeper who is hot seeking a bed that will keep you cool at night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the one that is right for you. This mattress is built with cooling technology that helps draw the body’s heat from sleepers.
The first is the infusion Phase Change Material, a special textile that absorbs heat from the person sleeping and is cool to the skin. Additionally, it has a layer of gel memory foam, which, in addition to being cooling, offers lots of cushioning and pain relief.
Another notable cooling characteristic: As a brand, GhostBed is well-known for its “Ghost Ice” cover on the majority their mattresses. Additionally, it is made from a Phase Change Material that helps to ensure that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the touch. The only drawback is that it can be a bit slippery, so you may need to put an upholstered sheet over your bed that keeps everything neat and secure.
For feel in terms of feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and will give side sleepers and back sleepers the perfect balance of comfort and support. It’s also an excellent choice for couples because of its excellent motion absorption as well as its bounciness (a plus for sex).
If your main concern is keeping cool, then you’ll enjoy GhostBed Luxe. GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the most competitive price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper that has struggled with back discomfort in the past, the Casper Wave Hybrid is a good option. It combines soft top foams with supportive steel coils, which helps keep your spine in a healthy position and helps prevent back pain. In fact the support is robust that it could be a great option for heavy sleepers over 250 lb.
But it’s not the only position that is suitable for this Casper Wave Hybrid. You should feel very comfortable lying on your side. Your shoulders should sink into your bed and allow you to get some relief from the pressure, while your hips are supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will feel comfortable with this Casper Wave Hybrid. The pocketed coil has a lot of room for airflow. The comfort layer is made of what’s known as Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely airy and as an added touch, it has a thin coating of cooling gel that is placed on the top. All of these traits should help to keep the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note the fact that it’s a responsive bed that doesn’t offer the more sluggish feel that memory foam provides. So if you’re a fan of that quicksand feeling it might be a good idea to reconsider your options.
Are you thinking that you’ll be able to use the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and aches? Check out our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and this Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils that provide an optimum blend of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say it’s on the soft side, scoring a 6/10 on our firmness scale (for the sake of context moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This is what makes Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good option for those who sleep on their sides who will feel fantastic pressure relief as their hips and shoulders are sunk into the cushion of comfort.
It’s worth pointing out that the comfort section is comprised of not just only one, but two layers of foam: 2inches of ArcticTex fibers and an airfoam ice stretch. Both of them are specifically designed to keep sleepers comfortable, the former being a graphite-infused variant of the original Nolah AirFoam used in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who prefer an extra soft mattress may appreciate the Nolah as it’s an ideal choice for couples. It’s not just that they’ll experience the mix of support and comfort that you mentioned, but they’ll be able to stretch out thanks to the bed’s patent-pending HDMax Eco Coils. At 8” tall the springs are encased in Edge-Tech foam for support, which holds up the sides of the bed and also the middle. This means that Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Are you sure that it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you couldn’t find the mattress you wanted above then you could benefit from one of our more specific mattress guides. Here are some of my recommendations based on your body type, age, sleep posture, managing pain, and much more.
- Side sleepers do best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that cushion pressure points at their hips and shoulders. Check out our top mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require an ideal level of pressure relief and support to ensure their spines remain in a straight line, and typically, they’ll find this in a mattress that is medium-firm. They can find some high-quality choices in the top mattress that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive mattress that will keep their hips aligned with their shoulders. Find out more about why this is essential in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are easy to move about and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a mattress that is bouncy and has a a medium-firm feel, like those in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely in coil systems to provide support. They typically are firm and bouncy in feel and work well for stomach, back, and mixed sleepers. We have a list of our best innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of coils and foam, and their feel differs widely. Find the most popular hybrid mattresses to find out more.
- Foam mattresses do not have any coil support. They use layers of foam that provide cushioning and support to the sleeping person. Mattresses made of memory foam are well-known kind of all-foam mattress which provide a great body contouring and pressure relief. Take a look at the top memory foam mattresses to know more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are usually constructed using eco-friendly Dunlop or Talalay latex foam. They are naturally cool and bouncy. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy typically like these beds. Check out the most popular latex mattresses to learn more about the natural substance.
- Air mattresses make use of air to provide support to the sleeper throughout the night! Some of the top adjustable beds are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Learn more in our review of the top air mattresses.
Choosing a sleep surface that can help ease pain is particularly important for sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that could help with several different types of pain. Based on the type of pain you’re experiencing I’d suggest looking into the best mattress for pain in the shoulder, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain and the best sciatica mattresses articles to learn more about the best pain management options.
- If you want a durable value mattress, check out the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re interested in finding a high-quality bed that’s worth the cost check out the most comfortable mattresses available for the price.
- If you’re on a tight budget, see our best mattresses under $1,000 or the best mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re looking for an ideal mattress for sleeping cool I would suggest you go with a mattress made of latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. These beds tend to promote airflow, which is important for keeping a low temperature at night.
- You can see my favorite breathable beds in our roundup of top cool mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lbs) typically discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I’d suggest for these sleepers to take a look at the most comfortable mattresses to ensure they have the pressure relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over 1 lb) require a mattress with an extra level of support to stop the mattress from sagging prematurely. Overall durability and edge support are typically the main concerns. For more information on how to select the right mattress that suits your body, visit our page to find the top mattresses designed for those who weigh a lot..
- Kids have rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique sleeping needs! Learn how to prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- Seniors (over 65) generally prefer more traditional feeling mattresses that offer mobility and support, but are still gentle on sensitive joints. I suggest looking at our top mattress for older people to discover a feeling that is suitable for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have unique requirements for sleep, as well! Learn more about choosing a comfortable mattress for them in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a Partner
- If you have a bed to share with a spouse (or pet! ) it is essential to pick an option that is low in motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the best mattresses for couples for a few examples, as well as mattresses that offer exceptional edges, cool options and other requirements that couples might take into consideration.
- Similarly, couples in search of the best mattresses for sex can check out our guide for mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough for getting close.
Top Mattress For Seniors FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s not a definitive answer for this but it’s essential to take your own budget into consideration. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses at nearly every price point! A budget mattress is generally considered to be one that’s under $1,000 for a Queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your old mattress each 7-10 years. However, a mattress may sag prematurely if you don’t place it on a proper foundation or treat it with care. It is also possible to extend the lifespan of an old mattress for a few months by adding an mattress protector.
When you purchase a brand new bed, you need to look over the warranty. It will also provide you with an idea of the length it’s expected to last.
What is the best mattress to relieve back pain?
The majority of people with back pain discover that a firm or medium-firm mattress is ideal for those with back pain. This type of bed will aid in keeping your spine straight throughout the night and can ease many of the back pain. To find a mattress that will ease your back pain, take a look at our top back mattresses. pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the most support. With that in mind, they’re advised to choose a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re thinking about the mattresses on this list, they’re likely to choose the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva might be viable options. To get a larger selection, they can always check out our roundup of the top sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers fall on the opposite side of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. While they still require some support, they usually prefer softer beds (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning for their shoulders hips. The majority of mattresses on this list should be an ideal fit for side sleepers especially the Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Seniors