If you’re looking to buy a brand new bed, but don’t know where to begin. There are many options that can be found in brick-and-mortar establishments, but there are hundreds more rumbling around in the realm of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best bed for you in 2022? Top Mattress For Lower Back Pain Consumer Reports
Remember that the term “best” is somewhat subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features from a bed, so what works for one person will not work for another.
This is why we kept a wide range of different categories when we made our top picks. Our goal is that all users will be able get not only an “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our best mattresses of 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we dive into the details of each of these beds We’d like to talk a little bit about how we came to select them.
At Scaramouch we’ve evaluated more than 220 products within our lab for mattresses, running every mattress through tests, including pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer using a seismometer. Then, we assign each mattress an overall score based on materials as well as comfort, support cooling, and edge support. We also consider brand performance with categories like value and warranty.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the most excellent out of them, we really took each bed’s overall score into consideration. Every mattress on this list is rated 4/5 or higher. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both of which scored an amazing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, it’s important to choose a mattress that checks all the boxes. You’re looking for a mattress with excellent support, cushioning pressure relief, and high-quality materials that won’t fall apart too fast.
The Saatva offers all of the advantages of the more expensive models, but at a more affordable price. It is constructed with a strong coil-on-coil structure, it offers an innerspring-like feeling that is an ideal fit to a wide range of sleepers. It is also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm and Firm) and makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers are likely to be the most comfortable on the Luxury and Firm versions. While those who sleep on their sides should prefer more of the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination, they’ll likely be able to shift positions with any of the models because of the Saatva’s springy combination of support and comfort. The Saatva has even got an HD model made specifically for heavier sleepers.
Another benefit of the Saatva mattress is that its coils offer the mattress outstanding edge support. You should be able to sleep or sit close to the edge of your mattress without feeling like it’s going to fall over or make you fall over. The only issue with the Saatva’s springiness is that it results in fairly high motion transfer, which means that if you sleep with a partner, you may feel each other’s movements at night, especially if one (or both) is a light sleeper.
Finally, it’s worth shining the spotlight on the Saatva’s premium materials. It’s made with natural cotton, and is CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have the worry of sleeping with toxic chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become one of the most well-known names in the mattress industry due to its flexibility. Customers can take a sleep quiz through the Helix website and take the body type, sleep preferences, as well as other aspects into consideration , so that the company can suggest the ideal mattress.
If you’re a side-sleeper is likely to be directed towards the Helix Midnight, a medium-firm mattress that offers the feeling of a hug. The foam comfort layer contours to the body, and it cradles sensitive areas like the hips and shoulders, which is vital for people who sleep on their side since this is where they place the most pressure when they sleep. Back sleepers should be satisfied with this combination of support and comfort.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a great mattress for side-sleeping couples. As a hybrid with a mattress, it has pocketed coils below the foams that provide adequate support for 2 people. While this also results in some bounce, it shouldn’t be enough to disturb the other person or you. Additionally, the mattress’s responsiveness makes it a great mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a side-sleeper who needs a little more pressure relief, I’d suggest checking into Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress which comes with extra foam layers. You can also take a look at other of our best-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re sold on Helix Midnight, you can purchase it here. Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or buts about it — mattresses can be incredibly expensive. But that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot to get a good night’s Zzz’s. For instance the Nectar mattress is a great bargain that packs a powerful quality of sleep without spending a lot of money.
Currently priced at under 1,000 for a queen bed after discounts This memory foam mattress is constructed with 5″ of soft Gel memory foam. This allows for ample sinkage and deep body-contouring which can be beneficial for sleepers who are side-sleeping. They will also feel extreme pressure relief as well as cushions at the shoulders and hips.
In addition, the Nectar provides enough support with its foam with high density below the back, which will appreciate the moderate thickness of its mattress. The best part is that the memory foam is able to absorb a lot of motion across the entire structure which makes it an ideal pick for couples. And if anyone’s in search for a bed that is super soft, they should check out this brand’s Nectar Premier, which has some additional features and bells.
Sold on this great value mattress? Find a cheaper bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you’re sleeping with a partner and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It is available in three different sizes: Soft, Medium, and Firm model which means that most couples will be able to find a bed that works for them. Each of them has strong edges (which make the bed feel bigger) and a solid motion isolationthat keeps your partner from feeling every turn and toss.
Couples must also take cooling into consideration when shopping for an appropriate mattress, because two bodies emit much more heat to the body than one. This should not be a problem for the Signature, which has the naturally cooling latex-like foam that is in its comfort layer. It also has an innovative design that incorporates springs that can accommodate plenty of airflow.
Another characteristic that is sure to attract lovers will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it up to the latex-like foam) and makes it an ideal mattress for sex. Also, it’s important to note it’s worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand is able to pass savings onto the customer. This means that it possible to make the Signature (and every one of the brand’s products) a budget-friendly mattress for couples — albeit one that’s still a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier person (250 lb and over) and you’re looking for a mattress that’s going to provide enough support. Fortunately, the WinkBed comes with four levels of firmness including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s the Plus, which is made of reinforced steel coils specifically designed for people who weigh more. These strengthened springs also result in a stronger edge support, allowing you to spread out until the end in the mattress.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction gives you some soft pressure relief thanks to the quilted top layer of its pillow and plenty of firm support thanks to its pocketed coil support layer. The mattress also offers zoned support (a combination of soft and firmer foams, depending on the location) to help you alleviate backaches and muscle pains, specifically in your back.
Outside of this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it will be extremely cool to sleep. The cover is breathable and made of eco-friendly Tencel and the coils permit a ton of airflow. This will help those who sleep more maintain a cool temperature throughout the night.
Do you think this is the mattress you’ve always wanted? Get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
At a 7/10 on our scale of firmness, the Bear should appeal to folks who are looking for a comfortable and comfortable bed. This comes from a thick layer of high-density support foam on the bottom. It is followed by a thin layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s likely to be plenty of support for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also benefit from a shape from the cushion of comfort foam infused by graphite gel. This helps the mattress stay cool, and so does a covering made of breathable, light material called Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only noticeable feature of Celliant. There are studies that show it can also improve blood flow, which could help in recovering. It makes Bear the perfect choice for athletes or anyone who lives an active life.
If you’re eager to curl up on Bear Bear, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require plenty of support to ensure their spines are aligned, while also receiving the necessary pressure relief to prevent pain in the lower back. They may find a winning combination with the DreamCloud hybrid mattress that combines the combination consisting of poly foam and pocketed coils.
These materials make the DreamCloud just a bit firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers will feel as if they’re sitting on top of the bed. While at the same time, they’ll get a little touch of comfort due to the memory foam.
Speaking of which, the memory foam comes with cooling gel in the form of an infusion which prevents it from storing heat the way traditional memory foam. And the bed’s coils make room for quite a bit of airflow.
If you do end up going for the DreamCloud, know that it’s a very heavy bed, so it might be a good idea to help you with getting it in your house (and maybe even setting it up) after it’s arrived.
Have you bought you’re interested in the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best price.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper in search of a bed that will help cool you down at night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the one for you. This mattress features cooling technology to draw body heat away from the sleeper.
First, there’s an injection of Phase Change Material, a special fabric which draws heat away from the sleeper and feels cool to the skin. It also has a layer of gel memory foam, which, in addition to being cool, provides plenty of comfort and cushioning.
Another notable cooling characteristic as a brand GhostBed is known for its “Ghost Ice” cover on many of its mattresses. Additionally, it is made from a phase change material, it helps the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the sensation. The only downside is it can be a bit slippery, so you may need to put sheets that are fitted to your bed that keeps everything nice and snug.
For feel In terms of comfort, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and is expected to provide the back and side sleepers an ideal combination of comfort and support. It’s also a great option for couples due to its excellent motion absorption as well as the bounce (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your primary concern is maintaining coolness, you’ll be delighted with the GhostBed Luxe. Click here for the most affordable price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who has had issues with back pain in the past it is recommended that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent alternative. It is a combination of soft top foams with supportive steel coils, which assists in keeping your spine within a healthy alignment and prevents back issues. In fact the support is robust that it could be a great option for heavy sleepers over 250 pounds.
But back-sleeping isn’t the only option to sleep in the Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel very comfortable lying on your side. The shoulders ought to sink down into the mattress and allow you to get some relief from the pressure, and your hips should feel comfortable and supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will be comfortable with the Casper Wave Hybrid. The pocketed coil provides plenty of room for airflow. The comfort layer is constructed from what’s called Airscape foam. Its aerated shape is extremely airy and, as an additional touch, it has a thin coating of cooling gel that is placed on the top. These features should aid in keeping you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note the fact that it’s a responsive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feeling that memory foam provides. If you’re a lover of the feeling of a quicksand it might be a good idea to reconsider your options.
Think you’ll be able to use the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and aches? Check out the best price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Being a hybrid, this Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils for the perfect blend of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say it’s a bit soft, scoring a 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for context, moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This means that the Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers, who should feel some incredible pressure relief when their hips and shoulders are sunk into the comfort layer.
It’s worth noting that this comfort section is made of not one, but two layers of foam. There’s 2 inches of ArcticTex fibers, and an airfoam ice stretch. Both of these materials are designed to keep the sleeper comfortable, the second being a graphite-infused variant from the first Nolah AirFoam used in the company’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who prefer an extra soft mattress may like the Nolah as it’s a comfy choice for couples. Not only will they feel that mixture of support and comfort we mentioned — they’ll be able to stretch due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco Support Coils. at 8” tall the springs are encased in Edge-Tech support foam, which is used to support the sides of the mattress, as well as the middle. That means the Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Is the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress you wanted above then you could benefit from one of our mattress guides that are more specific. Below are a few of my suggestions based upon the type of body, age, sleep positions, the management of pain, among other things.
- Side sleepers are best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion the pressure points on their shoulders and hips. We have compiled a list of the best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require an ideal level of pressure relief and support to ensure their spines remain in a straight line and they’ll typically find that in the middle-firm range of mattresses. There are some top-quality alternatives in the best mattresses to back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive mattress that keeps their hips in alignment in a straight line with the shoulders. Find out why this is crucial in our best stomach mattresses sleepers.
- Sleepers who are prone to combination prefer mattresses that are simple to move around and change positions on. I would suggest these sleepers stick to a mattress that is bouncy and has a an average-firm feel, similar to the ones we have in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely upon coils to support. They typically have a firm, bouncy feel, and are suitable for stomach, back, and combo sleepers. You can check out our top innerspring mattresses to find out more.
- Hybrid mattresses are made up of a mixture of coil and foam support, and their feel differs widely. Take a look at the most popular hybrid mattresses to find out more.
- Foam mattresses don’t have coil support. They make use of layers of foam to both provide cushioning and support to the sleeping person. Memory foam mattresses are a popular type of all-foam mattress that offers a wide range of body-contouring and relief from pressure. Check out the most comfortable memory foam mattress to find out more about these mattresses.
- Latex mattresses are often made with environmentally friendly Dunlop and Talalay latex. They are naturally cool and bouncey. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy often like these mattresses. Check out the top latex mattresses to learn more about the natural substance.
- Air mattresses make use of air to support the sleeper overnight! The most comfortable adjustable mattresses are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Learn more in our review of the top air mattresses.
Choosing a sleep surface that reduces pain is particularly important for sleepers who suffer from chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses which can ease kinds of pain. Based on your needs I’d suggest looking into the top mattresses for shoulder pain, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the top sciatica-specific mattresses. articles to find out more about pain management solutions.
- If you want a durable value mattress, check out the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re looking at getting a top-quality mattress that’s worth the price consider looking at the top mattresses for your cost.
- If you’re on a strict budget, see our top mattresses for under $1000 and the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of mattresses that are cool to sleep on I suggest one of the following: latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. These beds tend to promote airflow, which is crucial for keeping a low temperature in the night.
- My top breathable beds in our list of the most comfortable cooling mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lb) are likely to have mattresses that are more firm than average-weight sleepers. I would suggest that for these sleepers to take a glance at best soft mattresses to ensure they have the pressure relief they need.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over 1 lb) require a mattress with extra support to prevent premature mattress sagging. Overall durability and edge support are usually important concerns. For more information on how to select the best mattress that is suitable for your body, visit our page to find the the best mattresses for heavy people.
- Children are rapidly growing and changing bodies with specific sleeping needs! Learn how to prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- The elderly (over 65) generally prefer more traditional-looking mattresses that provide mobility and support, but aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I suggest looking at our top mattress for older adults to find a feel that is suitable for you.
- Teenagers are growing at a rapid rate, and they have specific sleep needs, as well! Find out more about selecting the right mattress for them in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a Partner
- If you are sharing a bed with a spouse (or pet! ) It is important to pick an option that is low in motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the best mattresses for couples to get some ideas and mattresses that offer exceptional Edge support and cooling features, and other needs that couples could consider.
- Also, couples looking for of the best mattress for sex can check out our guide for mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough to allow you to get close.
Top Mattress For Lower Back Pain Consumer Reports FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s no clear answer to this but it’s essential to take your budget into account. There are a variety of great mattresses available at all price points! Overall, a budget mattress is usually considered to be one that costs less than $1,000 for a queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress every 7-10 years. However, a mattress may sag prematurely if you don’t put it on a suitable foundation or treat it roughly. It is also possible to extend the lifespan of a mattress some time by putting on the mattress topper.
If you are buying a new bed, it’s important to check its warranty. This will give you a good idea of the length it will last.
What is the most comfortable mattress to relieve back stiffness?
The majority of people with back pain discover the medium-firm or firm mattress is the best choice for their back. The type of mattress you choose will assist you in keeping your spine straight throughout the night, which can help alleviate many of the pain. If you’re looking for a mattress which can help with your specific back pain, take a look at our top back mattresses. pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all the sleeping positions, stomach sleepers require the most support. In this regard, they’re best off with mattresses that are reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re looking at the mattresses in this list it’s those like the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva are two options that could be worth considering. To get a larger selection, they can always go through our selection of the most comfortable sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the best mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers fall on the other side of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they generally prefer softer beds (or medium-firm) that provide plenty of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. Many of the mattresses listed here should be a great match for side sleepers, most notably Helix Midnight. Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Lower Back Pain Consumer Reports