So you’re in the market for a new mattress, but aren’t sure where to begin. Not only are there choices to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments, but there are hundreds of others circulating in the realm of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best mattress for 2022? Top Mattress For Lower Back Pain And Shoulder Pain
Remember that the concept of “best” is somewhat subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features of a mattress, and what’s best for one person may not work for another.
This is why we kept a wide range of categories in mind when making our top choices. Our hope is that most people will be able to find not just an “best” mattress however, but one that is most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we dive into the details of each bed We’d like to talk some details about the process we used to select them.
Here at Scaramouch, we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattresses in our mattress lab, putting every mattress through tests such as pressure-mapping and assessing motion transfer using seismometer. From there, we give every bed an overall score in accordance with the material, comfort, support, edge support, and cooling. We also factor in quality of the mattress with categories like value and warranty.
Since we wanted our roundup of Best Mattresses to represent the best out of them, we really considered each bed’s overall score into account. Every last mattress listed here has an overall score of 4 out of 5 or more. The highest-scoring beds are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both of which have scored an impressive 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, you should find a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support, cushioning pressure relief, and top-quality materials that aren’t going to break down too quickly.
The Saatva offers all of the benefits of those expensive models, but at an affordable cost. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil construction, it has a traditional innerspring feel that should be a good fit to a wide range of sleepers. It’s also available in three different firmness levels (Plush Luxury Firm, Soft Luxury Firm and Firm), which further widens its appeal.
Stomach and back sleepers will be the most comfortable on Luxury as well as the Firm model. While those who sleep on their sides should prefer the Plush Soft model. As for combination sleepers will likely be able to switch positions on any of the models because of the Saatva’s springy combination of support and comfort. The Saatva has even got an HD model designed specifically for heavier sleepers.
Another benefit of the Saatva mattress is its coils give the bed an exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to lie down or sit close to the edge of the mattress without fearing that it’s about to fall down or cause you to fall off. The only downside to its springy nature is that it results in fairly high motion transfer, which means that if you sleep with a partner, you may be able to feel each other’s movements during the night, particularly if one (or both) is an eazy sleeper.
It’s also worth shining a a light on some of the Saatva’s premium materials. It’s made of organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you won’t have the worry of sleeping near dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become one of the most well-known names in the mattress industry because of its customization. Customers can take a test on their sleep through the Helix website that takes their body type, sleep preferences, and other factors into consideration so that the brand can recommend the most ideal mattress.
If you’re a side-sleeper most likely, you’ll be directed towards the Helix Midnight, a moderately firm mattress that gives a hug-like feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and cradles sensitive areas like the hips and shoulders, which is vital for people who sleep on their side because it’s where they put the most stress when they sleep. Back sleepers should be satisfied with this combination of comfort and support.
The Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. Because it’s a hybrid mattress with a mattress, it has pockets beneath the foams that provide adequate support for 2 persons. While this also results in a tiny bit of bounce, it’s not enough to cause any major disturbance to you or your partner. In addition, the firmness makes it an ideal mattress for sex.
If you’re a sleeper on the side who wants some extra plush pressure relief, I’d suggest checking for the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress which comes with additional foam layers. It’s also possible to look at our other top-rated mattresses for side sleepers. Or, if you’re convinced by this mattress, the Helix Midnight, get our lowest price here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or buts about it — mattresses aren’t cheap. But that doesn’t mean you must spend a lot just to get some quality Zzz’s. For instance, the Nectar mattress is an excellent value buy with a significant relaxation punch, without costing you a fortune.
The current price is less than $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts The memory foam bed is constructed with 5″ of luxurious mattress made of gel. This provides ample relaxation and body contouring that could work wonders for sleepers who are side-sleeping. You should also feel intense pressure relief and soft support around the shoulders and hips.
In addition, the Nectar provides enough support with its high-density foam below for back sleepers, who should enjoy the medium firmness of the mattress. The best part is that the memory foam can withstand a great deal of motion across the mattress and makes it a fantastic pick for couples. And if anyone’s in search for a bed that is super soft, they should check out the brand’s Nectar Premier, with additional features and bells.
Are you happy with this value mattress? Get an even more affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you share a bed with someone else, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It is available in three different sizes: Soft, Medium, and Firm model and most couples will be able to find a bed that works for their needs. Each of them has sturdy edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and solid motion isolation, keeping your partner from feeling every toss and turn.
Couples must also consider cooling when choosing the best mattress for them, since two bodies emit greater body temperature than one. This shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature mattress, which is made of an naturally cool, similar to latex in its comfort layer. Additionally, it has a hybrid design with springs that can accommodate a lot of airflow.
Another characteristic that is sure to attract lovers are the signature’s bounciness (chalk it up to the latex-like foam) that makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Also, it’s important to note it’s worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the brand is able to pass savings onto the customer. This makes the Signature (and every one of the other products by the brand) an affordable mattress for couples, though one that still has an appealing, high-quality feel.
If you believe that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 lb and over) is the case, you’ll need a mattress that’s going to provide enough support. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes with four levels of firmness including Luxury Firm, Softer, Firmer, and finally, the Plus, which is constructed with steel reinforced coils that are designed to support heavier people. The strengthened springs result in stronger edge support permitting you to spread to the edge to the edge of your bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides gentle pressure relief from its pillow-top quilted layer as well as plenty of firm support from its pocketed coil support layer. It also comes with zoned support (a combination of softer and firmer foams, depending on the area) to ease backaches and muscle pains, specifically for back pain.
In addition to it being the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool-sleeping. It has a breathable cover constructed out of sustainable Tencel, and the coils allow for a ton of airflow. This will help those who sleep more to keep their temperature at a minimum throughout the night.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 rating on our scale of firmness 7/10, the Bear is a good choice for those in search of a firm and comfortable bed. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density support foam in the middle, over which is a lighter layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s sufficient support for back sleepers, and they’ll also get a little bit of contouring from a cushion of comfort foam infused by graphite. This keeps the mattress cool, and so does a mattress cover made of breathable and lightweight material called Celliant.
But cooling isn’t the only noteworthy characteristic of Celliant. There are studies that show it can also improve blood flow and might help with recovery. It makes Bear a great fit for anyone who lives an active life.
If you’re ready to curl up with Bear Bear, get our most affordable bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require lots of support to keep their spines neutrally aligned while also getting requisite pressure relief to prevent pain in the lower back. They might find a good combination with the DreamCloud hybrid mattress made up of a tandem of memory foam, poly foam, with pocketed coils.
These materials make the DreamCloud just a little more firm than medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re on top mattress. While at the same time, they’ll get a little touch of comfort due to the memory foam.
The memory foam comes with an infusion of cooling gel that prevents it from absorbing heat as the traditional memory foam. And the bed’s coils make space for a lot of airflow.
If you end up opting for the DreamCloud be aware that it’s a very heavy bed, so it might be a good idea to assist you in the move into your home (and maybe even setting it up) after it’s arrived.
Are you sold on your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are in search of a bed that can help cool you down at night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the one that is right for you. The mattress has cooling technology that helps draw body heat away from sleepers.
The first is the infusion Phase Change Material, a special textile that absorbs heat from the sleeper and feels cool to the skin. Additionally, it has a layer of gel memory foam, which as well as being cool, also provides lots of comfort and relief from pain.
Another cool feature that is noteworthy is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is known by their “Ghost Ice” cover for the majority their mattresses. Additionally, it is made from a Phase Change Material which assists in helping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the feel. The only drawback is that it can be a bit slippery, which is why you may prefer an upholstered sheet over your bed to keep everything comfortable and cozy.
In terms of feel, in terms of feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and is expected to provide the back and side sleepers an ideal balance of comfort and support. It’s also a great option for couples due to its amazing motion absorption and bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your primary concern is staying cool, you’ll love the GhostBed Luxe. Click here to get the best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper that has struggled with back pain in the past, the Casper Wave Hybrid is a great choice. It is a combination of soft top foams and sturdy steel coils that helps keep your spine within a neutral position and helps prevent back pain. Actually the support is robust that it could be a great option for heavy sleepers over 250 lb.
However, it’s not the only option that works with this Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel very comfortable sleeping on your side. Your shoulders should sink into the bed and let you enjoy some refreshing pressure relief while your hips still are supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will feel comfortable on the Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer provides plenty of room to allow airflow, and the comfort layer is made with something called Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely comfortable, and as an added touch, it has a thin layer of cooling gel that is placed on the top. These features should help you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth noting it’s a responsive mattress and doesn’t have the more sluggish feel of memory foam. If you’re fond of the quicksand feel, you may want to reconsider your options.
Are you thinking that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Find us here to get the best price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Being a hybrid, the Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a base layer of coils that provide the perfect blend of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say that it’s on the soft side with a score of 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for an example the medium-firm range is 6.5/10). This makes Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers who can expect to feel fantastic pressure relief as their hips and shoulders are sunk into the comfortable layer.
It’s worth noting that the comfort section is comprised of not just two, but one layer of foam: 2” of ArcticTex fibers, and an airfoam ice stretch. Both of them are specifically designed to keep sleepers cool, with the second being a graphite-infused variant from the first Nolah AirFoam that is found in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who prefer an extra soft mattress may enjoy the Nolah and it’s a comfortable option for couples. They’ll not only feel that mixture of comfort and support we talked about, they’ll also be able stretch out because of the bed’s patented HDMax Eco-Support Coils. With a height of 8′ the springs are encased in Edge-Tech foam for support, which supports both sides of the mattress, as well as the middle. That means Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really exceptional edge support.
Are you sure that it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you couldn’t find the mattress that you were looking for, you might benefit from one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Below are a few of my recommendations based on the type of body and age, sleeping position, and pain management, and more.
- Side sleepers do best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion the pressure points on their hips and shoulders. Check out our best side mattresses. sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate balance of support and pressure relief to ensure their spines remain in a straight line, and typically, they’ll find this in the middle-firm range of mattresses. They can find some high-quality choices in the best mattresses for back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a firm bed that keeps their hips in alignment to their shoulders. Find out why this is important in our best stomach mattresses sleepers.
- Sleepers who are prone to combination prefer mattresses that are easy to move around and change positions on. I would suggest these sleepers stick to a bouncy mattress with moderate firmness, such as those in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are built on coil support systems. They often feature a firm, bouncy feel that is ideal for back, stomach, and combo sleepers. Check out our best innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of coils and foam and their comfort varies widely. Find the most popular hybrid mattresses for more information.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They employ layers of foam that cushion and support the sleeping person. Memory foam mattresses are a well-known kind of all-foam mattress which provide a great body contouring and pressure relief. Check out the top memory foam mattress to know more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are often constructed from green Dunlop or Talalay latex. They are naturally cool and bouncey. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy typically like these beds. Take a look at the most popular latex mattresses for more information on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses make use of air to provide support to the sleeper throughout the night! The best adjustable beds are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Learn more in our roundup of the the best air mattresses..
Selecting a mattress that can help ease pain is particularly important for sleepers who suffer from chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that could help with several different types of pain. Depending on what you need I’d suggest looking into the top mattresses for shoulder pain, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain, or the top sciatica-specific mattresses. articles to learn more about the best pain management options.
- If you want a durable quality mattress at a reasonable price, look into the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re more interested in finding a bed of high-end quality which is worth the price consider looking at the most comfortable mattresses available for the money.
- If you’re working on a strict budget, check out our top mattresses for under 1,000 and the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of an ideal mattress for sleeping cool, I’d recommend opting for one of the following: Latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. They are a great way to increase the circulation of air, and this is essential for keeping a low temperature at night.
- You can see my favorite mattresses that breathe in our list of the most comfortable cool mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lbs) are likely to discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I would suggest that these sleepers take a look at the most comfortable mattresses to ensure that they have the pressure relief they need.
- Heavy sleepers (over lb) need a bed with an extra level of support to stop the mattress from sagging prematurely. Overall durability and edge support are typically the main concerns. To learn how to choose the right mattress that is suitable for your body, visit our page for top mattresses designed for those who weigh a lot..
- Kids are growing rapidly and changing bodies with specific sleep needs! Learn how to prioritize your child’s sleep health in our top mattresses for children..
- For seniors (over 65) typically prefer traditional feeling mattresses that offer mobility and support, but are still gentle on sensitive joints. I would suggest taking a look at our best mattresses for older adults to discover a feeling that will work well for you.
- Teens are still growing, and they have their own sleep needs, as well! Find out more about selecting a comfortable mattress for them in our top mattresses for teenagers.
Sharing a bed with a partner
- If you are sharing a bed with a partner (or pet! ) It is important to choose an option that is low in motion transfer. I suggest taking a look at the top couples’ mattresses for some examples including mattresses that offer exceptional edge support, cooling options as well as other features that couples could consider.
- Also, couples looking for of the most comfortable mattresses for sexual intimacy should look through our guide to mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough to get close.
Top Mattress For Lower Back Pain And Shoulder Pain FAQs
What should I budget on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here and it’s crucial to take your personal budget into account. Thankfully, there are great mattresses at all price points! A budget mattress is generally considered to be one priced under $1000 for a queen-size.
How often should I replace my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress every 7-10 years. But, mattresses can be prone to sagging if you don’t put it on a suitable foundation or treat it roughly. You can also prolong the lifespan of an old mattress for several months by adding an mattress protector.
When you purchase a brand new bed, it’s important to check its warranty. This will give you an idea of the length it will last.
What is the best mattress for back pain?
Most people who struggle with back pain will find that a medium or firm mattress is the best choice for them. This type of bed will help you keep your spine straight during the night, which can help alleviate many of the pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will help you with your particular back pain, check out our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress to stomach sleepers?
Of all the sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the most support. In this regard, they’re advised to choose mattresses with reinforced pocketed coils. If they’re thinking about the mattresses on this list, they’re likely to choose the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva are two options that could be worth considering. For a more expansive range, go through our selection of the top sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the ideal mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers are at the other side of the spectrum from stomach sleepers. Although they do require support, they usually prefer soft beds (or medium-firm) that have a lot of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. A majority of the mattresses in this list will be ideal for those who sleep on their sides especially Helix Midnight. Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Lower Back Pain And Shoulder Pain