You’re looking to buy a brand new bed, but have no idea where to begin. Not only are there choices to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments however, there are hundreds more rumbling around within the realm of digital bed-in-a-box brands. So what’s the best mattress for 2022? Top Mattress For Firm And Soft
Remember that the concept of “best” is somewhat subjective. Different people require different things from a bed, so what’s best for one person may not work for another.
This is why we made sure to keep a broad range of categories in mind when presenting our top choices. Our hope is that most folks should be able to discover not only the “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s best for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our best mattresses of 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we get into the details of each of these beds We’d like to talk a little bit about the method we used to choose these beds.
At Scaramouch we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattresses within our lab for mattresses, running each one through tests such as pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer using the seismometer. We then give every bed an overall score according to the materials used as well as comfort, support cooling, and edge support. We also consider brand performance with categories such as value and warranty.
Since we wanted our compilation of Best Mattresses to represent the most excellent out of them, we really took each bed’s overall score into consideration. Every last mattress in this list is rated 4 out of 5 or above. The most highly-scored mattresses are Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which were awarded an impressive 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, it’s important to find a mattress that checks all the boxes. You’re looking for a mattress with excellent support and pressure relief cushioning, and high-quality materials that won’t break down too quickly.
The Saatva provides all the advantages of expensive models, but at a more affordable price. With a durable coil-on-coil structure, it offers an innerspring-like feel that should be an ideal fit for a variety of sleepers. It is also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Luxury Firm, Soft Luxury Firm and Firm) and increases its appeal.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers will be the most comfortable on the Luxury and Firm versions. While side sleepers should enjoy the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper, they’ll likely be able to quickly shift positions with any model, thanks to the Saatva’s springy blend of comfort and support. The Saatva has even got an HD model specially designed for those who sleep heavier.
Another added bonus of the Saatva mattress is that its coils offer the mattress exceptional edge support. It should be possible to lie down or sit close to the edge of your mattress and not feel like it’s about to fall down or make you fall over. The only drawback to this springy mattress is the fact that it causes fairly high motion transfer, which means that if you sleep with your partner, you might feel each other’s movements at late at night, particularly if either or the other is a light sleeper.
It’s also worth shining a the spotlight on Saatva’s top-quality products. It’s made from organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have be concerned about sleeping near harmful chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now among the top notable brands in the mattress market because of its customization. Customers can take a sleep quiz on the Helix website that takes their body type, sleeping preferences, as well as other aspects into account so that the brand can recommend the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side-sleeper most likely, you’ll be pointing towards the Helix Midnight, a moderately firm mattress that gives an enveloping feel. The comfort layer of foam conforms to the body and cradles vulnerable areas such as the shoulders and hips, which is vital for people who sleep on their side because it’s where they put the most pressure when sleeping. Back sleepers should be happy with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a excellent mattress for couples who sleep side-by-side. Since it’s a hybrid that has a layer of pocketed coils below the foams that provide sufficient support to accommodate two persons. Although this can cause the slightest amount of bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to seriously disturb either of you. Additionally, the mattress’s responsiveness makes it an ideal mattress for sex.
If you’re a side-sleeper looking for a bit more plush pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking for the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, which includes additional foam layers. It’s also possible to take a look at other of our best-rated side sleeper mattresses. Or, if you’re sold on Helix Midnight, you can purchase it here. Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or even buts about it — mattresses can be extremely expensive. But that doesn’t mean you must spend a lot to get a good night’s Zzz’s. For instance, Nectar mattress Nectar mattress is an excellent value buy that packs a serious comfort punch without breaking the bank.
Currently priced at under $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts This memory foam mattress is constructed by using 5″ of luxurious gel memory foam. This provides ample comfort and a deep body contour which can be beneficial for sleepers who are side-sleeping. They will also feel immense pressure relief and soft support around the hips and shoulders.
In addition it is also a good choice for back sleepers. Nectar has enough support in its high-density foam below the back, which will appreciate the moderate firmness of the mattress. The best part is that the memory foam can withstand a great deal of movement across the mattress and makes it a fantastic option for couples. If you’re in the market for a bed that is super soft and would like to know more about this brand’s Nectar Premier, which has some additional features and bells.
Sold on this great value mattress? Find a cheaper bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you sleep with someone else and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples want. It is available in a Medium, Soft and Firm option and most couples will be capable of finding the bed that is right for their needs. All models have sturdy edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and a solid motion isolation, keeping you from being a victim of your partner’s every turn and toss.
Couples must also take cooling into consideration when shopping for the best mattress for them, since two bodies emit more body heat than one. This shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature mattress, which is made of an naturally cool, latex-like foam that is in the cushion layer. It also has an innovative hybrid design, with springs that allow for plenty of airflow.
Another characteristic that is sure to be attractive to lovers are the signature’s bounciness (chalk it to latex-like foam) that makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Finally, it’s worth noting it’s worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, meaning that the company can pass on savings to the consumer. This makes it possible to make the Signature (and any of the other products by the brand) a budget-friendly mattress for couples — albeit one that has an appealing, high-quality feel.
If you believe that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier person (250 pounds or more), then you need a mattress that will adequately support you. Fortunately, the WinkBed comes in four firmness levels including Luxury Firm, Softer, Firmer, and finally, the Plus, which is made of reinforced steel coils that are designed to support heavier people. The strengthened springs result in stronger edge support allowing you to spread out all the way to the edge to the edge of your bed.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction offers mild pressure relief from its quilted pillow-top layer and plenty of firm support thanks to its pocketed coil support layer. It also comes with zoned support (a combination of softer and firmer foams, based on the region) to ease backaches and muscle pains, specifically on your back.
Outside of it being the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it’s going to be extremely cool-sleeping. The cover is breathable and made from eco-friendly Tencel, and the coils permit an abundance of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers keep a low temperature through the entire night.
Do you think this is the bed of your dreams? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
At a 7/10 on our firmness scale, the Bear should appeal to folks in search of a firm and comfortable bed. The Bear has a dense layer of high-density support foam on the bottom. It is topped by a thinner layer of flexible transition foam.
There’s plenty of support for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also get a little bit of contouring from the comfortable layer of memory foam that’s coated by graphite gel. This helps the mattress stay cool, as does a cover of breathable, lightweight material called Celliant.
However, it’s not the only noteworthy characteristic of Celliant. There are studies that show it also promotes blood flow, which could help in recovering. The Bear a great fit for athletes or anyone who is active.
If you’re ready to curl up with your Bear, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require lots of support to keep their spines aligned, while also receiving the necessary relief from pressure to avoid pain at the lower back. They could find a great combination in the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress that combines the combination consisting of poly foam, with pocketed coils.
The materials used make the DreamCloud just a little more firm than the medium-firm. Back sleepers will feel as if they’re on top bed. In addition, they’ll get a little bit of a hug by the foam memory.
Speaking of which, the memory foam is infused with cooling gel in the form of an infusion that prevents it from absorbing heat like traditional memory foam does. And the bed’s coils make room for quite a bit of airflow.
If you end up choosing the DreamCloud Be aware that it’s a hefty bed, so it might be a good idea to help you with the move into your home (and perhaps setting it up) once it arrives.
Have you bought your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to find our top bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper in search of a bed that will help cool you down at night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the one for you. This mattress features cooling technology that helps draw your body’s warmth away from sleepers.
The first is an infusion of Phase Change Material, a special fabric which draws heat away from the sleeper and feels cool to the touch. Additionally, it has the gel memory foam that as well as being cool, provides plenty of cushioning and pain relief.
Another cool feature that is noteworthy: As a brand, GhostBed is well-known by the “Ghost Ice” cover for many their mattresses. It is also made of the Phase Change Material that aids in ensuring that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the feel. The only drawback is that it can be a bit slippery, so you may need to put sheets that are fitted to your bed that keeps everything comfortable and cozy.
For feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and will give the back and side sleepers a balanced amount of support and comfort. It’s also an excellent choice for couples because of its amazing motion absorption and bounciness (a plus for sex).
If your primary concern is maintaining coolness, you’ll be delighted with this GhostBed Luxe. Click here to get the most affordable price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who’s had problems with back pain in the past, it is recommended that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent alternative. It is a combination of soft top foams and sturdy steel coils that aids in keeping your spine within a healthy alignment and prevents back issues. Actually the support is so sturdy that it might also be a great option for people who sleep heavily over 250 pounds.
However, it’s not the only suitable position to sleep in the Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel very comfortable sleeping on your side. Your shoulders should sink into the bed and let you enjoy some refreshing pressure relief while your hips still feel supported.
Hot sleepers will be comfortable in this Casper Wave Hybrid. The pocketed coil has a lot of room for airflow, and the comfort layer is constructed from something called Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely breathable, and as an added touch, it has a thin coating of cooling gel on over the top. These features should assist in helping you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note that this is a receptive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feel that memory foam provides. So if you’re a fan of the feeling of a quicksand then you might want to reconsider your options.
Think the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Shop here for our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and this Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a layer of coils to provide an optimum blend of support and comfort. Overall, we’d say it’s a bit soft, scoring a 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for the sake of context, moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This is what makes this model Nolah Evolution an especially good option for those who sleep on their sides who can expect to feel incredible pressure relief when their shoulders and hips sink into the comfortable layer.
It’s worth pointing out that the comfort section is made of not one, but two layers of foam: 2” of ArcticTex fibers, and an airfoam ice stretch. Both of them are made to keep the user at a comfortable temperature, with the second being a graphite-infused variation from the first Nolah AirFoam that is found in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who like a soft mattress might also enjoy the Nolah, plus it’s also an ideal choice for couples. It’s not just that they’ll experience the mix of support and comfort that you mentioned, but they’ll be able to stretch out thanks to the bed’s patent-pending HDMax Eco-Support Coils. With a height of 8′ they are wrapped in Edge-Tech support foam, which is used to support the sides of the bed as well as the middle. That means Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really exceptional edge support.
Are you sure that it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been looking for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress that you liked it, you may want to consider one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Below are a few of my recommendations based on the type of body and age, sleeping posture, the management of pain, among other things.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattress that cushions the pressure points on their hips and shoulders. Check out our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require an ideal balance of pressure relief and support to keep their spines in a straight line, and they’ll typically find that in a medium-firm mattress. There are some top-quality alternatives in the top mattress to back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a firm mattress that keeps their hips in alignment to their shoulders. Find out why this is important in our best stomach mattresses sleepers.
- Combination sleepers usually prefer mattresses that are simple to move about and change positions on. I would suggest these sleepers stick to a bouncy mattress with a medium-firm feel, like those in our best combo mattresses. sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are based in coil systems to provide support. They often feature a firm, bouncy feel, and are suitable for back, stomach, and combination sleepers. We have a list of our best innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses are made up of a mixture of coil and foam support, and their feel varies widely. Find the top hybrid mattresses to learn more.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They employ layers of foam to provide cushioning and support to the sleeping person. Mattresses made of memory foam are favored kind of all-foam mattress which offer a lot of body-contouring as well as pressure relieving. Take a look at the best memory foam mattresses to find out more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are typically constructed from eco-friendly Dunlop as well as Talalay latex foam. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncy. Combination sleepers and heavy people typically like these beds. Check out the best latex mattresses for more on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses utilize air to help sleepers throughout the night! A few of the best adjustable beds are the most advanced air mattresses. Learn more in our review of best air mattresses.
Selecting a mattress that helps mitigate pain is especially important sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that could help with several different kinds of pain. Depending on what you need I’d suggest looking into the top mattresses for shoulder pain, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the best sciatica mattresses articles to know more about pain relief solutions.
- If you’re looking for a sturdy value mattress, take a look at the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re looking at finding a bed of high-end quality which is worth the price check out the most comfortable mattresses available for the cost.
- If you’re working on a strict budget, take a look at our top mattresses that cost less than $1000 or the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of a mattress that sleeps cool I suggest an innerspring, Latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. They are a great way to increase the circulation of air, and this is essential for keeping the temperature at a minimum during the night.
- You can see my favorite breathable beds in our list of the most comfortable cooling mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lbs) typically discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I’d recommend those who sleep light to glance at top soft mattresses to make sure they get the pressure relief they need.
- Heavy sleepers (over lb) need a bed that offers extra support to prevent premature mattress sagging. Edge support and overall durability are usually important concerns. For more information on how to select the right mattress for your body type go to our site to find the top mattresses designed for heavy people.
- Kids are growing rapidly and evolving bodies that have specific requirements for sleep! Learn to prioritize your child’s sleep in our top mattresses for kids..
- The elderly (over 65) tend to prefer more traditional mattresses that offer flexibility and support, yet are still gentle on sensitive joints. I suggest looking at our top mattresses for older adults to find one that works for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have specific sleep needs, as well! Find out more about selecting an appropriate mattress in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a Partner
- If you are sharing a bed with a spouse (or pet! ), it’s important to pick an option that is low in motion transfer. I would suggest looking at the most suitable mattresses for couples for some examples including beds that have impressive edge support, cooling features as well as other features that couples might consider.
- Similarly, couples in search of the best mattress for sex should check out our guide for beds that are responsive and comfortable enough to allow you to get close.
Top Mattress For Firm And Soft FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here, so it’s important to take your own budget into account. There are a variety of great mattresses in every price range! A budget mattress is generally considered to be one priced under $1000 for a Queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, you should replace your old mattress at least every seven to ten years. However, a mattress may be prone to sagging if you don’t put it on a suitable foundation or treat it with care. It is also possible to extend the lifespan of a mattress that is old for a few months by adding an mattress topper.
When you purchase a brand new bed, it’s essential to look over its warranty, which will also provide you with an idea of the length it should last.
What is the best mattress for back pain?
Most people who struggle with back pain will find that a firm or medium-firm mattress is best for them. The type of mattress you choose will assist you in keeping your spine straight overnight as well as help ease many of the pain. To find a mattress that will help you with your particular back pain, check out our top mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the greatest amount of support. With that in mind, they’re advised to choose a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re considering the mattresses listed on this list it’s those like the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. If they want a wider choice, check out our roundup of the most comfortable sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers are on the other end of the spectrum of stomach sleepers. While they still require some support, they tend to prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) that provide plenty of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. A majority of the mattresses on this list should be an ideal fit for those who sleep on their sides particularly those who sleep on the Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Firm And Soft