You’re looking for a new mattress, but have no idea where to start. Not only are there choices to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments however, there are hundreds of others circulating in the world of digital bed-in-a-box brands. So what’s the best bed for you in 2022? Top Mattress For Bad Back And Side Sleeper
Remember that the word “best” is somewhat subjective. Different sleepers require different characteristics from a bed, so what’s best for one person might not be suitable for someone else.
We made sure to keep a broad range of subjects in our mind while we made our top choices. Our hope is that most users will be able find not just an “best” mattress however, but one that is the best fit for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we really dive into the in-depth details of each of these beds We’d like to talk an overview of the process we used to choose these beds.
At Scaramouch we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattress models within our lab for mattresses, running every one of them through tests, including pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer with a seismometer. Then, we assign each mattress an overall score according to the materials used and comfort, support, cooling, and edge support. We also factor in quality of the mattress with categories like value and warranty.
Since we wanted our compilation of Best Mattresses to represent the most excellent of the best, we took each bed’s overall score into consideration. Each mattress listed here has an overall score of 4 out of 5 or above. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which were awarded an amazing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, you must look for a bed that can tick all the boxes. You’re looking for a mattress with excellent support and pressure relief cushioning, and top-quality materials that aren’t going to be able to break down as quickly.
The Saatva has all the advantages of the more costly models, but for an affordable cost. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil construction, it has an innerspring-like feel that should be an ideal fit for a variety of sleepers. It also comes in three different firmness levels (Plush soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm), which makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Stomach and back sleepers will be most comfortable on Luxury as well as the Firm model. While side sleepers should enjoy using the Plush Soft model. As for combination sleepers will likely be able to shift positions with any of the models due to the Saatva’s soft combination of support and comfort. It even has an HD model made specifically for those who sleep heavier.
Another added bonus of the Saatva mattress is that its coils offer the mattress exceptional edge support. You should be able to sleep or sit near the edge of the mattress without fearing that it’s going to fall over or cause you to slide off. The only issue with its springy nature is that it causes an extremely high amount of motion transfer meaning that if you sleep with your partner, you might sense each other’s movements at night, particularly if one or both of you is the type of sleeper who is light.
It’s also worth shining a a light on some of Saatva’s top-quality products. It’s made of natural cotton, and is CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have be concerned about sleeping near toxic chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has grown to be an extremely recognizable names in the mattress game due to its customizable. Customers can take a sleep quiz via the Helix website, which takes the body type, sleep preferences, as well as other aspects into account so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a sleeper on the side is likely to be directed towards the Helix Midnight — an average-firm mattress that provides a hug-like feel. The comfort layer of foam conforms to the body and cradles delicate areas like hips and shoulders, which is crucial for those who sleep on their sides since this is where they place the most pressure when sleeping. Back sleepers should be content with this mix of comfort and support.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a great mattress for side-sleeping couples. Since it’s a hybrid with a mattress, it has pockets of coils that are encased beneath the foams, providing sufficient support to accommodate two people. Although this can cause the slightest amount of bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to cause any major disturbance to the other person or you. In addition, the firmness makes it a great mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a sleeper on the side looking for a bit more plush pressure-relief, you should check into Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, which includes more foam layer. Also, you can take a look at other of our top-rated mattresses for side sleepers. Or, if you’re convinced by the Helix Midnight, get the best price right here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or even buts about it. Mattresses can be incredibly expensive. But that doesn’t mean that you have to spend a fortune just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. For instance the Nectar mattress is a great value buy that packs a serious quality of sleep without costing you a fortune.
The current price is less than $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts This memory foam mattress is made of 5″ of luxurious gel memory foam. This provides ample comfort and a deep body contour which can be beneficial for sleepers who are side-sleeping. You should also feel immense pressure relief and soft support around the hips and shoulders.
At the same time, the Nectar offers enough support thanks to the high-density foam beneath the back, which are likely to appreciate the moderate level of firmness. What’s more is that the memory foam can withstand a great deal of motion throughout the mattress and makes it a fantastic choice for couples. If anyone is in search of a mattress that’s super soft, they should check out this brand’s Nectar Premier, which has some additional bells and whistles.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? Find a cheaper deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you share a bed with someone else and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples want. It is available in a Soft, Medium and Firm version and most couples will be in a position to find the right bed for them. All models have sturdy edges (which makes the bed appear larger) and solid motion isolation, keeping your partner from feeling every toss and turn.
Couples must also be aware of cooling when looking for a new mattress, as two bodies produce much more heat to the body than one. However, this shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature mattress, which is made of a naturally cooling, similar to latex in the cushion layer. Additionally, it has an innovative design that incorporates springs that allow for plenty of airflow.
Another feature that will be attractive to lovers is the Signature’s bounciness (chalk it to latex-like foam), which makes it an ideal mattress for sexual sex. It’s also worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand can pass on savings onto the customer. This is what makes the Signature (and any of the brand’s products) an affordable mattress for couples — albeit one that still has an appealing, high-quality feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 pounds or more) and you’re looking for a mattress that’s going to comfortably support you. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes in four different levels of firmness that include Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s, the Plus, which is made with reinforced steel coils that are designed to support heavier people. These strengthened springs also result in stronger edge support which allows you to spread until the end of the bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides mild pressure relief from its pillow-top quilted layer as well as plenty of firm support thanks to its coil-like support layer. It also comes with zoned support (a combination of softer and firmer foams, depending on the region) to help you alleviate discomfort and pain, particularly for back pain.
Outside of this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it will be extremely cool to sleep. There’s a breathable cover made of eco-friendly Tencel, and the coils permit plenty of airflow. This will help those who sleep more maintain a cool temperature through the entire night.
Do you think this is the mattress you’ve always wanted? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 score on our firmness scale 7/10, the Bear will appeal to those looking for a firm and supportive mattress. The Bear has a dense layer of high-density foam at the bottom, topped by a thinner layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s more than enough support here for back sleepers, and they’ll also receive a shape from a comfort layer of memory foam coated by graphite. This keeps the mattress cool, as does the covering made of breathable, light material known as Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only noteworthy feature of Celliant. There are studies that show it can increase blood flow and could aid with recovery. It makes Bear an ideal choice for anyone who is active.
If you’re looking to snuggle in your Bear, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers require lots of support to keep their spines aligned and also get the pressure relief to prevent pain in the lower back. They could find a great combination with the DreamCloud hybrid mattress made up of an amalgamation with memory foam and poly foam and pocketed coils.
These materials give the DreamCloud slightly firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re on top of the bed. At the same time they’ll feel a touch of comfort by the foam memory.
Speaking of which, the memory foam comes with cooling gel in the form of an infusion that prevents it from absorbing heat the way traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils allow enough space to allow for plenty of airflow.
If you decide to opting for the DreamCloud be aware that it’s a very heavy bed, so it may be a good idea to help you with moving it into your home (and perhaps setting it up) once it arrives.
Have you bought the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are looking for a mattress that can help to cool down during the night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the ideal mattress you’re looking for. The mattress has cooling technology that helps draw the body’s heat from sleeping.
First, there’s an injection of Phase Change Material, a special type of fabric that absorbs heat from the person sleeping and is cool to the feel. It also comes with the gel memory foam, which is, in addition to being cooling, offers lots of comfort and cushioning.
Another cool feature that is noteworthy as a brand GhostBed is known as the brand that has their “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on the majority of its mattresses. Additionally, it is made from a phase change material which aids in ensuring that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the touch. The only downside is it could be slippery, so you may need to put sheets that are fitted to your bed to keep everything comfortable and cozy.
For feel, it’s a great choice for those who want to feel. GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and should offer those who sleep on their sides and backs the perfect combination of comfort and support. It’s also a great option for couples because of its excellent motion absorption as well as its bounciness (a bonus for couples).
If you’re primarily concerned with keeping cool, then you’ll enjoy GhostBed Luxe. GhostBed Luxe. Click here to get the best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who’s had problems with back discomfort in the past, this Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent option. It combines soft top foams with supportive steel coilsthat aids in keeping your spine within a balanced alignment and avoids back problems. Actually, the support is so solid that it can be a great alternative for those who weigh more than 250 lb.
But it’s not the only suitable position to sleep in the Casper Wave Hybrid. The mattress should be at ease sleeping on your back. The shoulders ought to sink down into the bed and give you some relief from the pressure, while your hips are supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will feel comfortable on the Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer offers plenty of space for airflow, and the comfort layer is made with what’s called Airscape foam. Its aerated shape is extremely comfortable and, as an additional feature, it features an extremely thin layer of cooling gel up the top. All of these features will assist in helping the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth pointing out it’s a responsive bed that doesn’t offer the slower-moving feeling of memory foam. So if you’re a fan of the feeling of a quicksand it might be a good idea to reconsider your options.
You think you’ll be able to use the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Find us here to get the best price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Being a hybrid, it Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils for an optimum blend of support and comfort. Overall, we’d say that it’s on the softer side with a score of 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for an example moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This makes this model Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers, who should feel some fantastic pressure relief as their shoulders and hips slide into the comfort layer.
It’s important to note that this comfort section is composed of not one, but two layers of foam. There’s 2 inches of ArcticTex fibers and an airfoam ice stretch. Both are designed to keep the sleeper at a comfortable temperature, with the former being a graphite-infused variation of the original Nolah AirFoam that is found in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who prefer a soft mattress might also enjoy the Nolah as it’s a comfortable option for couples. Not only will they feel that mixture of support and comfort we mentioned — they’ll be able to stretch out because of the bed’s patented HDMax Eco Support Coils. With a height of 8′, these springs are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam for support, which supports on the edges of the bed, and also the middle. That means Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really amazing edge support.
Is the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you couldn’t find the mattress that you were looking for, you might benefit from one of our more specific mattress guides. Below are a few of my recommendations based on body type as well as age, sleep positions, pain management, and more.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion the pressure points in their shoulders and hips. Check out our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate level of pressure relief and support to keep their spines in a straight line and typically, they’ll find this in a medium-firm mattress. They can find some high-quality alternatives in the top mattress to back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a firm bed that keeps their hips in alignment in a straight line with the shoulders. Find out why this is important in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are simple to move around on and switch positions on. I suggest that these sleepers adhere to a bouncy mattress with an average-firm feel, similar to the ones we have in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely upon coils to support. They typically have a firm, bouncy feel, and are suitable for back, stomach and mixed sleepers. We have a list of our top innerspring mattresses to find out more.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of coil and foam support and their comfort is different. Take a look at the best hybrid mattresses to find out more.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They employ layers of foam to provide cushioning and support to the sleeping person. They are the most popular type of all-foam mattress that offers a wide range of body-contouring as well as pressure relieving. Take a look at the top memory foam mattress to find out more about these mattresses.
- Latex mattresses are usually made with eco-friendly Dunlop as well as Talalay latex. They are naturally cool and lively. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy often like these beds. Look over the best latex mattresses for more on this natural material.
- Air mattresses utilize air to help sleepers overnight! A few of the best adjustable mattresses are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Find out more about them in our roundup of the best air mattresses..
The choice of a bed that reduces pain is especially important sleepers who suffer from chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that can help you with different types of pain. Based on your needs, I’d recommend looking at the top mattresses for shoulder pain, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the top sciatica-specific mattresses. articles to learn more about pain management solutions.
- If you want a durable value mattress, take a look at the top mattresses for cheap.
- If you’re interested in finding a bed of high-end quality that’s worth the cost check out the top mattresses for your price.
- If you’re working on a strict budget, take a look at our top mattresses for under 1,000 as well as the most affordable mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of an ideal mattress for sleeping cool, I’d recommend opting for an innerspring, mattress made of latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. They tend to encourage the circulation of air, and this is crucial for keeping the temperature at a minimum in the night.
- You can see my favorite mattresses that breathe in our list of the most comfortable cool mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers who are light (under 130 lbs) typically have mattresses that are more firm than average-weight sleepers. I’d suggest these sleepers take a glance at top soft mattresses to ensure that they get the pressure relief they need.
- Heavy sleepers (over lb) need a bed with additional support to avoid the mattress from sagging prematurely. Overall durability and edge support are the most important considerations. To learn how to choose the right mattress for your body type go to our site for the best mattresses for heavy people.
- Kids have rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique sleeping needs! Find out how you can prioritize your child’s sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- The elderly (over 65) tend to prefer more traditional mattresses that offer support and mobility, but are still gentle on sensitive joints. I suggest looking at our best mattresses for older adults to find a feel that is suitable for you.
- Teens are still growing, and they have specific sleep needs, as well! Learn more about how to choose the right mattress for them in our best mattresses for teens.
Sharing a bed with a partner
- If you share a bed with a spouse (or pet! ) It is important to choose a mattress that features low motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the top couples’ mattresses to get some ideas including beds with impressive Edge support and cooling options, and other needs that couples might be thinking about.
- Similarly, couples in search of the best mattresses for sex should browse our list of beds that are responsive and comfortable enough to allow you to get close.
Top Mattress For Bad Back And Side Sleeper FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here, so it’s important to take your personal budget into account. There are a variety of great mattresses to be found at nearly every price point! A budget mattress is generally considered to be one that’s under $1,000 for a Queen-size.
How often should I replace my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress at least every 7-10 years. However, a mattress may be prone to sagging if you don’t place it on a good foundation or treat it roughly. You can also extend the life of a mattress a few months by using an mattress protector.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, it’s important to check its warranty, which can also give you a good idea of how long it’s expected to last.
What is the best mattress for back discomfort?
Most people who struggle with back pain will find that a medium or firm mattress is ideal for them. This type of bed will assist you in keeping your spine straight during the night, which can help alleviate some of the back pain. If you’re looking for a mattress which will help you with your particular back pain, look through our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress to stomach sleepers?
Of all the sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the most support. In this regard, they’re better off using a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re considering the mattresses in this list, the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. For a more expansive range, look through our list of the top sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers are on the other end of the spectrum of stomach sleepers. Although they do require support, they usually prefer soft beds (or medium-firm) that have a lot of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. Many of the mattresses in this list will be a great match for side sleepers particularly Helix Midnight. Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Bad Back And Side Sleeper