So you’re in the market to buy a brand new bed, but have no idea where to start. There are plenty of options to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments however, there are hundreds more swirling in the realm of online bed-in-a box brands. What’s the most suitable mattresses for the year 2022? Top Mattress For Bad Back And Joints
Well, keep in mind that the word “best” isn’t always the most accurate. Different types of sleepers require different features from their bed, so what is effective for one individual will not work for another.
That’s why we have a variety of different categories when presenting our top choices. Our hope is that most users will be able find not just the “best” mattress and not just the one that’s best for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
The best mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we really dive into the details of each bed, we’d like to share some details about how we came to select these beds.
At Scaramouch we’ve evaluated more than 220 mattress models through our bed lab, putting every mattress through tests like pressure mapping and measuring motion transfer using seismometer. From there, we give each mattress an overall score in accordance with the material and comfort, support, cooling, and edge support. We also factor in the performance of the brand, like value and warranty.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the best out of them, we took each bed’s overall score into consideration. Every mattress listed here is rated 4/5 or more. The most highly-scored mattresses are Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which were awarded an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
If you’re looking for a luxurious mattress, you must find a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support as well as pressure relief that cushions and high-quality materials that aren’t going to be able to break down as quickly.
The Saatva has all the advantages of the more costly models, but at an affordable cost. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil construction, it has an innerspring-like feeling that is suitable to a wide range of sleepers. It also comes in three different firmness levels (Plush soft, Luxury Firm and Firm) that makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers are likely to be most comfortable with the Luxury or Firm models, while those who sleep on their sides should prefer the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper, they’ll likely be able to quickly change positions on any model, due to the Saatva’s soft blend of comfort and support. It even has an HD model made specifically for sleepers who are heavier.
Another advantage of the Saatva mattress is its coils provide the mattress with outstanding edge support. You should be able to lie down or sit close to the edge of your mattress and not feel like it’s going to fall over or make you fall over. The only downside to the Saatva’s springiness is that it results in an extremely high amount of motion transfer so if you’re sleeping with your partner, you might be able to feel each other’s movements during the night, especially if one or the other is a light sleeper.
Finally, it’s worth shining the spotlight on the Saatva’s high-quality materials. It’s made from Organic cotton as well as foams which are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have to worry about sleeping in a room with harmful chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now one of the most notable names in the mattress game due to its flexibility. Customers can take a test on their sleep through the Helix website and take the body type, sleep preferences, as well as other aspects into consideration , so that the company can suggest the ideal mattress.
If you’re a side-sleeper, it’s likely that you’ll be pointed toward the Helix Midnight, a medium-firm mattress that offers an enveloping feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and supports sensitive areas like the shoulders and hips, which is vital for people who sleep on their side since this is where they place the most stress when they sleep. Back sleepers must also be satisfied with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. Because it’s a hybrid mattress, there’s a layer of pocketed coils below the foams, which creates enough support for two persons. Although this can cause the slightest amount of bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to cause any major disturbance to either of you. In addition, the firmness makes it an ideal mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a side sleeper who wants some extra plush pressure relief, I’d suggest checking into the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with extra foam layers. It’s also possible to look at our other top-rated mattresses for side sleepers. Or, if you’re convinced by this mattress, the Helix Midnight, get our lowest price here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or even buts about it. Mattresses can be extremely expensive. However, that doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune just to get some quality Zzz’s. As an example, the Nectar mattress is a great value buy that packs a powerful quality of sleep without breaking the bank.
The current price is less than $1,000 for a Queen after discounts The memory foam bed is constructed of 5″ of luxurious mattress made of gel. This provides ample relaxation and body contouring that could work wonders for side sleepers. They will also feel immense pressure relief and cushiony support at the hips and shoulders.
In addition the Nectar provides enough support with the high-density foam beneath the back, which will appreciate the moderate firmness of the mattress. What’s more is that the memory foam is able to absorb a lot of motion across the structure, making it a great pick for couples. If you’re in the market of a super-soft bed, they should check out Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, with additional bells and whistles.
Sold on this great value mattress? Find a better deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you share a bed with someone else, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It comes in a Medium, Soft and Firm option, so most couples should be capable of finding the bed that is right for their needs. All models have strong edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and solid motion isolationthat keeps you from feeling your partner’s every toss and turn.
Couples must also be aware of cooling when looking for an appropriate mattress, because two bodies produce greater body temperature than one. But this shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature mattress, which is made of the naturally cooling latex-like foam in its comfort layer. Furthermore, it comes with an innovative design that incorporates springs that have room for a lot of airflow.
Another feature that will be attractive to lovers are the signature’s bounciness (chalk it up to the latex-like foam) that makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Also, it’s important to note that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand is able to pass savings to the consumer. This means that it possible to make the Signature (and any of the brand’s products) an affordable mattress for couples, though one that has a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 lb and over), then you need a mattress that will adequately support you. Fortunately, the WinkBed comes in four different levels of firmness: Softer, Luxury Firm as well as Firmer. Then there’s, the Plus, which is made with reinforced steel coils specifically designed for people who weigh more. These strengthened springs also result in a stronger edge support, allowing you to spread out all the way to the very end to the edge of your bed.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction gives you some soft pressure relief thanks to its pillow-top quilted layer as well as ample firmness from its pocketed coil support layer. It also provides zoned support (a combination of soft and more firm foams, based on the location) to help ease aches and pains, especially in your back.
Outside of it being the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it’s going to be extremely cool sleeping. It has a breathable cover constructed out of sustainable Tencel and the coils provide a ton of airflow. This will help those who sleep more maintain a cool temperature through the entire night.
Does this sound like the mattress of your dreams? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
At a 7/10 on our scale of firmness it is a Bear should appeal to folks looking for a firm and supportive bed. This comes from a thick layer of high-density support foam at the bottom, followed by a thin layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s plenty of support for back sleepers. they’ll also receive a more contouring with a comfortable layer of memory foam coated by graphite. This keeps the mattress cool, and so does a cover of breathable, lightweight material called Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only noteworthy aspect of Celliant. Certain studies have shown that it also promotes blood flow and might help in the recovery process. This makes the Bear an ideal choice for anyone who practices an active lifestyle.
If you’re eager to curl up with the Bear, get our top deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers require a lot of support to ensure their spines are aligned, while also receiving the necessary pressure relief to prevent pain in their lower back. They could find a great combination with the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress made up of a tandem consisting of poly foam, with pocketed coils.
The materials used make the DreamCloud just a bit firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers will feel as if they’re sitting on top of the bed. In addition they’ll feel a squeeze by the foam memory.
The memory foam is infused with cooling gel in the form of an infusion that prevents it from absorbing heat as traditional memory foam does. And the bed’s coils make room for quite a bit of airflow.
If you do end up choosing the DreamCloud be aware that it’s a hefty bed, so it might be a good idea to assist you in the move into your house (and maybe even setting it up) after it’s arrived.
Are you sold on your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here for our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are seeking a bed that will to cool down during the night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the one you’re looking for. The mattress has cooling technology to draw the body’s heat from sleepers.
First, there’s an injection of Phase Change Material, a special fabric which draws heat away from the person sleeping and is cool to the skin. It also has a layer of gel memory foam, which as well as being cool, provides plenty of cushioning and pain relief.
Another notable cooling characteristic is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is famous by the “Ghost Ice” cover on many of its mattresses. Also made with the Phase Change Material, it aids in ensuring that to ensure that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the sensation. Its only disadvantage is that it could be slippery, so you may want to use sheets that are fitted to your bed that keeps everything nice and snug.
In terms of comfort, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and should offer those who sleep on their sides and backs the perfect balance of comfort and support. It’s also a great option for couples because of its excellent motion absorption as well as bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your primary concern is staying cool, you’ll love the GhostBed Luxe. Click here for the most affordable price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who’s had problems with back pain in the past it is recommended that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent alternative. It blends soft top foams with supportive steel coilsthat assists in keeping your spine in a balanced position and helps prevent back pain. Actually, the support is so solid that it can be a good option for heavy sleepers over 250 pounds.
However, it’s not the only option that works with the Casper Wave Hybrid. The mattress should be very comfortable lying on your side. Your shoulders should sink into your bed and allow you to get some relief from the pressure, while your hips still feel supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will be comfortable with this Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer provides plenty of room for airflow. The comfort layer is made of something called Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely comfortable and as an added bonus, it comes with a thin layer of cooling gel on over the top. These features should assist in helping the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth pointing out it’s a receptive mattress and doesn’t have the slower-moving feeling of memory foam. If you’re a lover of the quicksand feel then you might want to reconsider your options.
Think you’ll be able to use the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and discomforts? Check out the best price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
As a hybrid, it Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils for the perfect blend of support and comfort. In general, we’d say it’s on the softer side, scoring a 6/10 on our firmness scale (for context moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This means that Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good option for those who sleep on their sides who can expect to feel fantastic pressure relief as their hips and shoulders are sunk into the comfortable layer.
It’s worth pointing out that this comfort section is comprised of not just only one, but two layers of foam: 2inches of ArcticTex fibers, and a stretch of AirFoamICE. Both of these materials are specifically designed to keep sleepers comfortable, the former being a graphite-infused variant from the first Nolah AirFoam found in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who like a soft mattress might also enjoy the Nolah, plus it’s also a comfy choice for couples. Not only will they get that mix of support and comfort that you mentioned, but they’ll be able stretch out due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco Support Coils. At 8” tall they are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam that supports both sides of the mattress, as well as the middle. This means that Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really exceptional edge support.
Are the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you weren’t able to find the mattress that you liked, you might benefit from one of our mattress guides that are more specific. Here are some of my recommendations based on your body type, age, sleep posture, pain management, and more.
- Side sleepers are best on soft to medium-firm mattress that cushions the pressure points in their shoulders and hips. Take a look at our best side mattresses. sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate balance of pressure relief and support to ensure their spines remain in a straight line and usually, that’s in the middle-firm range of mattresses. You can find high-end alternatives in the best mattresses for back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a firm bed that keeps their hips aligned to their shoulders. Learn more about why that’s important in our best stomach mattresses sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are easy to move around on and switch positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a cushioned mattress with a medium-firm feel, like those in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are based upon coils to support. They usually feature a firm, bouncy feel, and are suitable for stomach, back, and combination sleepers. Check out our best innerspring mattresses to find out more.
- Hybrid mattresses are made up of a mixture of coil and foam support, and their feel is different. Take a look at the most popular hybrid mattresses to learn more.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They make use of layers of foam to cushion and support the sleeper. Memory foam mattresses are a well-known kind of all-foam mattress which offers a wide range of body-contouring and relief from pressure. Take a look at the top mattress made of memory foam to know more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are often constructed using environmentally friendly Dunlop as well as Talalay latex. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncey. Heavy people and sleepers in combination are often awed by these mattresses. Look over the top latex mattresses to learn more about the natural substance.
- Air mattresses use air to support the sleeper throughout the night! Some of the best adjustable beds are advanced air mattresses. Get more information in our roundup of the best air mattresses..
Choosing a sleep surface that helps mitigate pain is especially important sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve chosen mattresses that could help with several different kinds of pain. Based on the type of pain you’re experiencing I’d suggest looking into the most suitable mattress for pain in the shoulder, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or best mattresses for sciatica articles to learn more about pain management solutions.
- If you are looking for a long-lasting value mattress, check out the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re more interested in finding a bed of high-end quality that’s worth the cost check out the top mattresses for your money.
- If you’re on a strict budget, take a look at our top mattresses for under 1,000 as well as the best mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re looking for an ideal mattress for sleeping cool, I’d recommend opting for one of the following: mattress made of latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. They are a great way to increase ventilation, which can be important for keeping the temperature at a minimum in the night.
- You can see my favorite mattresses that breathe in our list of top mattress cooling.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lb) are likely to find mattresses firmer than average-weight sleepers. I’d recommend for these sleepers to take a review of the top soft mattresses to ensure that they have the pressure relief they require.
- Heavy sleepers (over 100 lbs) need a bed with an extra level of support to stop the mattress from sagging prematurely. Edge support and overall durability are the most important considerations. To learn how to choose a mattress for your body type go to our site to find the the best mattresses for those who weigh a lot..
- Kids are growing rapidly and evolving bodies that have specific sleeping needs! Learn how to prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our top mattresses for kids..
- Seniors (over 65) typically prefer traditional-looking mattresses that provide support and mobility, but they are also gentle on joints. I would suggest taking a look at our top mattress for seniors to discover a feeling that is suitable for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have unique requirements for sleep, as well! Learn more about choosing an appropriate mattress in our best mattresses for teens.
Sharing a bed with a partner
- If you have a bed to share with a partner (or pet! ) It is important to choose one that has low motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the best mattresses for couples for some examples and mattresses that offer exceptional edges, cool options, and other needs that couples may take into consideration.
- Couples in search of the most comfortable mattresses for sexual intimacy are able to check out our guide for mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough for getting close.
Top Mattress For Bad Back And Joints FAQs
What should I budget on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here, so it’s important to take your own budget into account. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses to be found at nearly every price point! A budget mattress is typically considered one that costs less than $1,000 for a Queen-sized.
How often should I replace my mattress?
In general, you should replace your mattress at least every 7-10 years. However, a mattress can be prone to sagging if you don’t place it on a good foundation or treat it roughly. You can also extend the lifespan of a mattress that is old for some time by using a mattress protector.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, it’s important to check the warranty. It will give you a good idea of the length it’s expected to last.
What is the most comfortable mattress for back stiffness?
Many people suffering from back pain discover the medium-firm or firm mattress is the best choice for their back. This type of bed will help you keep your spine straight during the night as well as help ease some of the discomfort. If you are looking for a mattress that will ease your back pain, look through our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping positions, stomach sleepers require the most support. In this regard, they’re advised to choose mattresses that are reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re looking at the mattresses on this list, they’re likely to choose the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. If they want a wider selection, they can always check out our roundup of the top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers are at the opposite side of the spectrum from stomach sleepers. While they still require some support, they generally prefer soft beds (or medium-firm) that have a lot of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. The majority of mattresses on this list should be ideal for those who sleep on their sides, most notably the Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Bad Back And Joints