So you’re in the market of a mattress but have no idea what to look for. There are plenty of options to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments and other establishments, but there are a lot more rumbling around within the realm of online bed-in-a box brands. So , what’s the ideal bed for you in 2022? Top Mattress For Back Pain Wirecutter
Remember that the term “best” is somewhat subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features of a mattress, and what’s best for one person will not work for another.
That’s why we made sure to keep a broad range of different categories when we made our top picks. We hope that the majority of people will be able to discover not only”the “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s best for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we dive into the details of each of these beds, we’d like to share an overview of how we came to choose the beds.
At Scaramouch, we’ve reviewed more than 220 products within our lab for mattresses. We’ve put each one through tests, including pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer with a seismometer. Then, we assign each bed an overall rating based on materials and comfort, support, cooling, and edge support. We also take into account brand performance with categories like value and warranty.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the top of the best, we looked at each mattress’s overall score into consideration. Every mattress in this list has an overall score of 4 or above. The most highly-scored mattresses are Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which have scored an impressive 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
If you’re looking for a luxurious mattress, you should choose a mattress that ticks all the right boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support, cushioning pressure relief, and high-quality materials that aren’t going to fall apart too fast.
The Saatva has all the advantages of the more costly models, but for a more affordable price. With a durable coil-on-coil construction, it has an innerspring-like feel that should be a good fit for all types of sleepers. It is also available in three different firmness levels (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm) that makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers should be the most comfortable with the Luxury as well as the Firm model while those who sleep on their sides should prefer more of the Plush Soft model. As for combination sleepers you’ll be able to quickly change positions on any model, thanks to the Saatva’s springy combination of support and comfort. The Saatva has even got an HD model specially designed for those who sleep heavier.
Another advantage of the Saatva mattress is its coils give the bed exceptional edge support. You should be able to sleep or sit close to the edge of your mattress without fearing that it’s going to fall over or cause you to fall off. The only downside to its springy nature is that it results in an extremely high amount of motion transfer which means that if you sleep with your partner, you might feel each other’s movements at late at night, particularly if either or the other are a light sleeper.
In the end, it’s worthwhile shining the spotlight on the Saatva’s premium materials. It’s made from organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t need the worry of sleeping in a room with dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now an extremely well-known names in the mattress industry due to its customizable. Customers are able to take a sleep test through the Helix website and take their body type, sleep preferences, as well as other aspects into consideration , so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side sleeper, it’s likely that you’ll be pointed toward the Helix Midnight, a medium-firm mattress that offers a hug-like feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and cradles delicate areas like shoulders and hips, which is crucial for those who sleep on their sides because that’s the place they put the most pressure when sleeping. Back sleepers should be happy with this combination of support and comfort.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. Because it’s a hybrid mattress, there’s a layer of pockets of coils that are encased beneath the foams, which creates adequate support for 2 people. While this also results in the slightest amount of bounce, it shouldn’t be enough to seriously disturb the other person or you. Additionally, the mattress’s responsiveness makes it an ideal mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a sleeper on the side who needs a little more pressure relief, I’d suggest checking for the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, which includes more foam layer. Also, you can check out more of our top-rated mattresses for side sleepers. If you’re sold on Helix Midnight, you can purchase it here. Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or buts about it. Mattresses can be incredibly expensive. But that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot just to get some quality Zzz’s. For example, it’s the Nectar mattress is a great value buy that packs a powerful relaxation punch, without spending a lot of money.
At present, it is priced under $1,000 for a Queen after discounts This memory foam mattress is constructed by using 5″ of soft mattress made of gel. This gives you plenty of comfort and a deep body contour which can be beneficial for sleepers who are side-sleeping. They should also feel some intense pressure relief and soft support around the hips and shoulders.
In addition, the Nectar provides enough support with the high-density foam beneath for back sleepers, who are likely to appreciate the moderate firmness of the mattress. Additionally, the memory foam absorbs a ton of motion across the mattress and makes it a fantastic choice for couples. If anyone is in search for a bed that is super soft you should look into the brand’s Nectar Premier, with additional alarms.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? Find a cheaper deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you share a bed with someone else, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples want. It comes in three different sizes: Soft, Medium, and Firm model and most couples will be able to find the right bed for them. All of the options have sturdy edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and a solid motion isolation, keeping you from feeling your partner’s every turn and toss.
Couples should take cooling into consideration when shopping for the best mattress for them, since two bodies give off more body heat than one. However, this shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature, which has a naturally cooling, similar to latex in its comfort layer. Furthermore, it comes with a hybrid design with springs that allow for lots of airflow.
Another trait that should be attractive to lovers is the Signature’s bounciness (chalk it to latex-like foam) that makes it a good mattress for sex. Also, it’s important to note the fact that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand is able to pass savings on to customers. This is what makes it possible to make the Signature (and every one of the other products by the brand) an affordable mattress for couples, but one that’s still an excellent, premium feel.
If you believe that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier person (250 pounds or more), then you need a mattress that will comfortably support you. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes in four firmness levels that include Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s, the Plus, which is made with reinforced steel coils that are designed to support heavier people. The strengthened springs result in extra-strong edge support, permitting you to spread to the end of the bed.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides mild pressure relief from its pillow-top quilted layer as well as plenty of firm support from its coil-like support layer. It also comes with zoned support (a mixture of soft and more firm foams, based on the location) to help you alleviate aches and pains, especially for back pain.
In addition to this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it will be extremely cool-sleeping. The cover is breathable and made from eco-friendly Tencel, and the coils provide plenty of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers keep a low temperature throughout the night.
Does this sound like the mattress you’ve always wanted? Get the best price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
At a 7/10 on our scale of firmness it is a Bear should appeal to folks who are looking for a comfortable and comfortable bed. The Bear has a dense layer of high-density support foam on the bottom. It is over which is a lighter layer of responsive transition foam.
There should be plenty of support for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also get a little shape from the comfort layer of memory foam that’s infused by graphite. This helps the mattress stay cool, as does a cover of breathable, lightweight material called Celliant.
However, it’s not the only notable feature of Celliant. Certain studies have shown that it also promotes blood flow and could aid with recovery. It makes Bear the perfect choice for athletes or anyone who practices an active lifestyle.
If you’re looking to snuggle up on Bear Bear, get our best deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers require lots of support to ensure their spines are aligned while also getting requisite pressure relief to prevent pain at their lower back. They could find a great combination with the DreamCloud hybrid mattress that combines a tandem with memory foam and poly foam, with pocketed coils.
The materials used make the DreamCloud just a little more firm than medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re on top of the mattress. In addition they’ll feel a bit of a hug by the foam memory.
Speaking of which, the memory foam comes with cooling gel in the form of an infusion, keeping it from trapping heat like the traditional memory foam. And the bed’s coils make enough space to allow for plenty of airflow.
If you end up going for the DreamCloud Be aware that it’s a hefty bed, so it might be a good idea to help you with moving it into your home (and maybe even setting it up) after it’s arrived.
Sold on your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here for our best price.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper in search of a bed that will help to cool down during the night The GhostBed Luxe could be the best choice that is right for you. This mattress features cooling technology that helps draw the body’s heat from sleepers.
The first is an infusion of Phase Change Material, a special type of fabric which draws heat away from the person sleeping and is cool to the skin. It also has a layer of gel memory foam, which, in addition to being cooling, offers lots of comfort and cushioning.
One other notable cooling feature is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is famous as the brand that has the “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on the majority their mattresses. Additionally, it is made from the Phase Change Material, it assists in helping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the sensation. The only drawback is that it is a little slippery, and you might want to use sheets that are fitted to your bed to keep it comfortable and cozy.
For feel in terms of feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and will give the back and side sleepers the perfect combination of comfort and support. It’s also an excellent choice for couples because of its fantastic motion absorption and its bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your main concern is keeping cool, then you’ll enjoy GhostBed Luxe. GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a back or side sleeper who has had issues with back pain in the past it is recommended that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a good alternative. It combines soft top foams and supportive steel coils, which aids in keeping the spine healthy alignment and prevents back issues. In fact the support is robust that it could be a great option for people who sleep heavily over 250 pounds.
However, it’s not the only suitable position that works with Casper Wave Hybrid. Casper Wave Hybrid. You should feel very at ease sleeping on your back. Your shoulders should sink into your bed and give you some relief from the pressure, and your hips should feel supported.
Hot sleepers will feel right at home on the Casper Wave Hybrid. The coil’s pocketed design offers plenty of space for airflow, and the comfort layer is made of what’s known as Airscape foam. Its aerated shape is extremely breathable and, as an additional touch, it has a thin layer of cooling gel up the top. All of these features will assist in helping you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth noting that this is a receptive bed that doesn’t offer the slower-moving feeling of memory foam. If you’re a lover of that quicksand feeling it might be a good idea to consider a different bed.
Think you’ll be able to use the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Check out our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and the Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils to provide the perfect blend of support and comfort. In general, we’d say it’s on the softer side, scoring a 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for the sake of context, moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This means that Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers who can expect to feel amazing pressure relief as their shoulders and hips are sunk into the comfortable layer.
It’s worth pointing out that this comfort section is composed of not two, but one layer of foam. There’s 2 inches of ArcticTex fibers and a stretch of AirFoamICE. Both of these materials are made to keep the user at a comfortable temperature, with the second being a graphite-infused version of the original Nolah AirFoam found in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who prefer a soft mattress might also enjoy the Nolah, plus it’s also a comfy choice for couples. Not only will they experience the mix of support and comfort that we mentioned — they’ll be able to stretch out due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco-Support Coils. With a height of 8′ they are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam for support, which holds up both sides of the bed, and also the middle. That means Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Are the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress that you liked then you could benefit from one of our mattress guides that are more specific. Below are a few of my suggestions based on the type of body, age, sleep positions, the management of pain, among other things.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion the pressure points on their hips and shoulders. Take a look at our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require a good combination of support and pressure relief to ensure their spines remain straight, and usually, that’s in the middle-firm range of mattresses. There are some top-quality options in the top mattress to back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress that will keep their hips aligned with their shoulders. Learn more about why that’s essential in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Sleepers who are prone to combination prefer mattresses that are easy to move about and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a mattress that is bouncy and has a a medium-firm feel, like those in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are based upon coils to support. They typically feature a firm, bouncy feel and work well for stomach, back, and combo sleepers. You can check out our top innerspring mattresses to find out more.
- Hybrid mattresses use a mix of foam and coil support, and their feel varies widely. Check out the best hybrid mattresses for more information.
- Foam mattresses do not have any coil support. They employ layers of foam to cushion and support the sleeping person. They are the most popular type of all-foam mattress , which offer a lot of body-contouring and relief from pressure. Take a look at the top memory foam mattresses to learn more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are typically constructed from green Dunlop as well as Talalay latex. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncy. Heavy people and sleepers in combination typically like these mattresses. Look over the best latex mattresses to learn more about this natural material.
- Air mattresses utilize air to help sleepers overnight! Some of the best adjustable beds are the most advanced air mattresses. Learn more in our review of the best air mattresses..
The choice of a bed that helps mitigate the pain is crucial for those who live with chronic pain. I’ve selected mattress options which can ease kinds of pain. Depending on what you need I’d suggest you look at the top pillows for shoulders, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the best sciatica mattresses articles to know more about pain management solutions.
- If you are looking for a long-lasting value mattress, check out the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re more interested in finding a high-quality bed that’s worth the price check out the top mattresses for your cost.
- If you’re working on a strict budget, check out our top mattresses that cost less than $1,000 and the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of an ideal mattress for sleeping cool I suggest a latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. They are a great way to increase airflow, which is crucial to keep the temperature low at night.
- You can see my favorite breathable beds in our list of the most comfortable mattress cooling.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers who are light (under 130 pounds) are likely to find mattresses firmer than average-weight sleepers. I’d recommend these sleepers take a review of the top soft mattresses to make sure they receive the relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over 1 lb) need a bed that provides an extra level of support to stop premature mattress sagging. Edge support and overall durability are usually important concerns. To learn how to choose the best mattress for your body type, visit our page to find the best mattresses for heavy people.
- Kids have rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique requirements for sleep! Learn to prioritize your child’s sleep health in our best mattresses for kids.
- For seniors (over 65) typically prefer traditional-looking mattresses that provide flexibility and support, yet aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I suggest looking at our top mattress for older adults to find a feel that works for you.
- Teens are still growing, and they have unique sleeping needs too! Learn more about how to choose a comfortable mattress for them in our top mattresses for teenagers.
Sharing a bed with a partner
- If you have a bed to share with a companion (or pet! ) It is important to pick an option that is low in motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the best mattresses for couples for a few examples and beds that have impressive edge support, cooling options as well as other features that couples could take into consideration.
- Couples in search of the best mattresses for sex are able to check out our guide for beds that are supple and comfortable enough to get close.
Top Mattress For Back Pain Wirecutter FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s not a definitive answer for this and it’s crucial to take your own budget into account. Thankfully, there are great mattresses to be found at nearly every price point! Overall, a budget mattress is usually considered to be one that’s under $1,000 for a queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress at least every 7-10 years. But, mattresses can fall over prematurely if it isn’t place it on a proper foundation or treat it with care. You can also extend the life of a mattress that is old for several months by putting on a mattress protector.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, it’s important to check its warranty. This will also provide you with an idea of how long it should last.
What is the best mattress for back discomfort?
The majority of people with back pain find the medium-firm or firm mattress is best for them. This kind of bed can help you keep your spine straight during the night and can ease a lot of back pain. If you’re looking for a mattress which will help you with your particular back pain, check out our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all the sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the most support. This is why they’re best off with mattresses with reinforced pocketed coils. If they’re thinking about the mattresses in this list that include the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. To get a larger selection, they can always look through our list of the top sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the best mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers are on the opposite side of the spectrum from stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they tend to prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) that have a lot of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. A majority of the mattresses listed here should be an ideal fit for side sleepers especially those who sleep on the Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Back Pain Wirecutter