If you’re looking to buy a brand new bed, but have no idea what to look for. Not only are there choices to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments, but there are hundreds more swirling in the world of bed-in-a-box companies that are digital. So , what’s the ideal mattresses for the year 2022? Top Kind Of Mattress For Back Problems
Remember that the concept of “best” is a bit subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features from their bed, so what works for one person might not be suitable for someone else.
That’s why we made sure to keep a broad range of categories in mind when presenting our top picks. Our hope is that most people will be able to get not only an “best” mattress and not just the one that’s most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
The best mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we dive into the in-depth details of each bed, we’d like to share an overview of how we came to select these beds.
At Scaramouch we’ve reviewed more than 220 products in our mattress lab, putting each one through tests like pressure mapping and measuring motion transfer using a seismometer. We then give each mattress an overall score based on materials, comfort, support, edge support, and cooling. We also take into account brand performance with categories such as value and warranty.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the top of the best, we really considered each bed’s overall score into consideration. Each mattress in this list is rated 4/5 or more. The highest-scoring beds are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which were awarded an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When shopping for a luxury mattress, it’s important to look for a bed that checks all the boxes. You want something with good support and pressure relief cushioning, and top-quality mattress materials that don’t break down too quickly.
The Saatva offers all of the advantages of expensive models, but at lower costs. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil structure, it offers an innerspring-like feeling that is a good fit for a variety of sleepers. It is also available in three different firmness levels (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm), which makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers should be most comfortable on the Luxury or Firm models while those who sleep on their sides should prefer using the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination you’ll be able to easily shift positions with any model, because of the Saatva’s springy combination of support and comfort. It even has an HD model specially designed for sleepers who are heavier.
Another advantage of the Saatva is that its coils provide the mattress with outstanding edge support. You should be able to sleep or sit near the edge of the mattress without feeling like it’s going to fall over or cause you to slide off. The only issue with this springy mattress is the fact that it creates an extremely high amount of motion transfer so if you’re sleeping with your partner, you might feel each other’s movements at night, especially if one or the other are the type of sleeper who is light.
It’s also worth shining a the spotlight on Saatva’s top-quality products. It’s made of organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t need to worry about sleeping with dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become among the top recognizable names in the mattress game because of its customization. Customers are able to take a sleep test through the Helix website that takes their body type, sleep preferences, and other factors into account so that the company can suggest the ideal mattress.
If you’re a side-sleeper, it’s likely that you’ll be pointing towards the Helix Midnight — a medium-firm mattress that offers an enveloping feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and cradles delicate areas like hips and shoulders, which is essential for side sleepers because it’s where they put the most stress when they sleep. Back sleepers must also be satisfied with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. As a hybrid with a mattress, it has pocketed coils below the foams, which creates enough support for two persons. While this also results in a tiny bit of bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to cause any major disturbance to you or your partner. In addition, the firmness makes it a great mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a side-sleeper who needs a little more pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking into the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with additional foam layers. Also, you can check out more of our top-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re convinced by the Helix Midnight, get the best price right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or buts about it — mattresses can be extremely expensive. However, that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. For example it’s the Nectar mattress is an excellent bargain that packs a powerful comfort punch without spending a lot of money.
The current price is less than $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts This memory foam mattress is constructed by using 5″ of plush Gel memory foam. This allows for ample relaxation and body contouring that can work wonders for those who sleep on their sides. They should also feel some immense pressure relief and soft support around the shoulders and hips.
At the same time the Nectar provides enough support with its high-density foam below the back, which should enjoy the medium level of firmness. What’s more is that the memory foam absorbs a ton of motion across the mattress, making it a great option for couples. And if anyone’s in search of a mattress that’s super soft and would like to know more about this brand’s Nectar Premier, with additional bells and whistles.
Are you happy with this value mattress? Get an even cheaper deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you sleep with your partner and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It is available in a Soft, Medium and Firm option which means that most couples will be able to find a bed that works for their preferences. All of the options have solid edges (which makes the bed appear larger) and a solid motion isolationthat keeps you from being a victim of your partner’s every toss and turn.
Couples must also be aware of cooling when looking for a new mattress, as two bodies produce more body heat than one. But this shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature mattress, which is made of a naturally cooling, latex-like foam that is in the cushion layer. Additionally, it has an innovative design that incorporates springs that have room for a lot of airflow.
Another trait that should appeal to lovebirds is the Signature’s bounciness (chalk it up to the latex-like foam) and makes it a great mattress for sexual sex. Finally, it’s worth noting the fact that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the brand is able to pass savings to the consumer. This makes the Signature (and any of the other products by the brand) a budget-friendly mattress for couples, though one that’s still an appealing, high-quality feel.
If you think that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 pounds or more) is the case, you’ll need an appropriate mattress that can comfortably support you. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes in four different levels of firmness that include Luxury Firm, Softer, Firmer, and finally the Plus. The Plus is made of reinforced steel coils specifically designed for people who weigh more. These strengthened springs also result in stronger edge support which allows you to spread until the very end of the bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction offers mild pressure relief from the quilted top layer of its pillow and lots of support from its coil-like support layer. The mattress also offers zones of support (a combination of softer and more firm foams, based on the region) to ease discomfort and pain, particularly for back pain.
Apart from this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool-sleeping. The cover is breathable and made of eco-friendly Tencel and the coils provide an abundance of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers maintain a cool temperature all night long.
Do you think this is the mattress of your dreams? Get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 score on our firmness scale 7/10, the Bear should appeal to folks who are looking for a comfortable and supportive bed. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density support foam at the bottom, topped by a thinner layer of a flexible transition foam.
There’s likely to be more than enough support here for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also benefit from a shape from a comfortable layer of memory foam infused with graphite gel. This makes the mattress cool, as does a cover of breathable, lightweight material called Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only notable aspect of Celliant. There are studies that show it can also improve blood flow and could aid with recovery. The Bear the perfect choice for athletes or anyone who practices an active lifestyle.
If you’re eager to curl up with the Bear, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers tend to need a lot of support to keep their spines neutrally aligned, while also receiving the necessary relief from pressure to avoid pain at the lower back. They may find a winning combination in the DreamCloud hybrid mattress made up of an amalgamation consisting of poly foam, with pocketed coils.
The materials used make the DreamCloud just a little more firm than medium-firm. Back sleepers will feel as if they’re on top of the bed. In addition, they’ll get a little bit of a hug from the memory foam.
Speaking of which, the memory foam comes with cooling gel in the form of an infusion, keeping it from trapping heat as the traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils allow enough space to allow for plenty of airflow.
If you end up going for the DreamCloud Be aware that it’s quite a heavy bed, so it may be beneficial to assist you in getting it in your home (and perhaps setting it up) after it’s arrived.
Have you bought you’re interested in the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are in search of a bed that can help cool you down at night The GhostBed Luxe could be the ideal mattress you’re looking for. The mattress has cooling technology that helps draw your body’s warmth away from sleepers.
The first is an infusion of Phase Change Material, a special fabric that absorbs heat from the sleeping person and feels cool to the skin. Additionally, it has the gel memory foam which as well as being cool, provides plenty of cushioning and pain relief.
Another cool feature that is noteworthy is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is well-known as the brand that has their “Ghost Ice” cover for some their mattresses. Additionally, it is made from a phase change material, it assists in helping to ensure that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the touch. Its only disadvantage is that it could be slippery, which is why you may need to put sheets that are fitted to your bed to keep it comfortable and cozy.
For feel In terms of comfort, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and will give side sleepers and back sleepers a combination of comfort and support. It’s also a fantastic choice for couples due to its excellent motion absorption as well as its bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your main concern is maintaining coolness, you’ll be delighted with GhostBed Luxe. GhostBed Luxe. Click here to get the most competitive price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper that has struggled with back pain in the past it is recommended that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a great option. It combines soft top foams with supportive steel coils, which assists in keeping your spine in a healthy position and helps prevent back pain. Actually, the support is so solid that it can be an ideal option for heavy sleepers over 250 pounds.
However, it’s not the only option to sleep in this Casper Wave Hybrid. The mattress should be very comfortable sleeping on your side. The shoulders ought to sink down into your bed and let you enjoy some relief from pressure and your hips should are supported.
Additionally, hot sleepers should be comfortable on this Casper Wave Hybrid. The pocketed coil has a lot of room to allow airflow, and the comfort layer is made with what’s known as Airscape foam. Its aerated shape is extremely comfortable, and as an added touch, it has an extremely thin layer of cooling gel up top. These features should aid in keeping the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth noting the fact that it’s a responsive mattress and doesn’t have the more sluggish feel of memory foam. So if you’re a fan of the quicksand feel then you might want to look elsewhere.
You think you’ll be able to use the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Find us here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
As a hybrid, this Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a base layer of coils to provide the perfect blend of support and comfort. Overall, we’d say that it’s a bit soft with a score of 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for context moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This means that this model Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side, who should feel some amazing pressure relief as their shoulders and hips slide into the comfort layer.
It’s important to note that this section of comfort is comprised of not just one, but two layers of foam: 2inches of ArcticTex fibers and a stretch of AirFoamICE. Both of them are made to keep the user cool, with the second being a graphite-infused variation of the original Nolah AirFoam used in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who prefer mattresses that are soft might like the Nolah and it’s an ideal choice for couples. They’ll not only get that mix of support and comfort you mentioned, but they’ll be able stretch out thanks to the bed’s patent-pending HDMax Eco Coils. With a height of 8′ they are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam that supports the sides of the mattress, as well as the middle. That means Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really amazing edge support.
Are you sure that you sure that the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been looking for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress you wanted above it, you may want to consider one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Here are some of my suggestions based on body type and age, sleeping position, and managing pain, and much more.
- Side sleepers do best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion pressure points at their hips and shoulders. Take a look at our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require a good combination of support and pressure relief to ensure their spines remain in a straight line, and they’ll typically find that in a medium-firm mattress. You can find high-end choices in the top mattress that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress that keeps their hips in alignment in a straight line with the shoulders. Learn more about why that’s important in our top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are simple to move around and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a cushioned mattress with an average-firm feel, similar to the ones in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are built in coil systems to provide support. They typically feature a firm, bouncy feel that is ideal for back, stomach and mixed sleepers. We have a list of our best innerspring mattresses to find out more.
- Hybrid mattresses are made up of a mixture of coil and foam support and their comfort differs widely. Check out the best hybrid mattresses to find out more.
- Foam mattresses don’t have coil support. They make use of layers of foam that provide cushioning and support to the sleeping person. Memory foam mattresses are a popular type of all-foam mattress , which offers a wide range of body-contouring as well as pressure relieving. Check out the top mattress made of memory foam to learn more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are usually made with environmentally friendly Dunlop or Talalay latex foam. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncy. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy typically like these mattresses. Check out the top latex mattresses for more information on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses make use of air to support the sleeper overnight! Some of the most comfortable adjustable beds are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Get more information in our roundup of the the best air mattresses.
The choice of a bed that reduces pain is especially important sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve compiled a list of mattress options that could help with several different types of pain. Based on the type of pain you’re experiencing I’d suggest looking into the most suitable mattress for pain in the shoulder, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain, or the top sciatica-specific mattresses. articles to learn more about the best pain management options.
- If you’re looking for a sturdy quality mattress at a reasonable price, look into the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re looking at finding a high-quality bed that’s worth the price consider looking at the most comfortable mattresses available for the price.
- If you’re on a strict budget, see our top mattresses for under 1,000 or the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re looking for mattresses that are cool to sleep on I would suggest you go with a mattress made of latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. These beds tend to promote airflow, which is crucial for keeping the temperature at a minimum at night.
- You can see my favorite mattresses that breathe in our roundup of the most comfortable mattress cooling.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers with light weights (under 130 lbs) typically have mattresses that are more firm than average-weight sleepers. I’d suggest these sleepers take a review of the top soft mattresses to ensure they receive the relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over lb) need a bed that offers additional support to avoid premature mattress sagging. Edge support and overall durability are usually important concerns. To find out how to pick the right mattress for your body type check out our website to find the best mattresses for those who weigh a lot..
- Children are rapidly growing and changing bodies with specific requirements for sleep! Learn to prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our best mattresses for kids.
- Seniors (over 65) tend to prefer more traditional-looking mattresses that provide flexibility and support, yet they are also gentle on joints. I would suggest taking a look at our top mattress for seniors to discover a feeling that will work well for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have specific sleep needs, too! Learn more about choosing the right mattress for them in our best mattresses for teenagers.
Sleeping with a Partner
- If you share a bed with a partner (or pet! ) it is essential to select an option that is low in motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the most suitable mattresses for couples for a few examples, as well as beds with impressive Edge support and cooling options, and other needs that couples could consider.
- Couples in search of the best mattresses for sex can browse our list of beds that are supple and comfortable enough to get close.
Top Kind Of Mattress For Back Problems FAQs
What should I budget on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here but it’s essential to take your personal budget into consideration. There are a variety of great mattresses to be found at nearly every price point! A budget mattress is typically considered one that’s under $1,000 for a queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, you should replace your old mattress each 7-10 years. But, mattresses can be prone to sagging if you don’t place it on a good foundation or treat it roughly. It is also possible to extend the life of a mattress a few months by putting on a mattress protector.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, you need to take a look at the warranty. It will also provide you with an idea of the length it should last.
What is the best mattress to relieve back discomfort?
Most people who struggle with back pain find that a medium or firm mattress is ideal for them. This kind of bed can aid in keeping your spine straight throughout the night as well as help ease many of the discomfort. If you’re looking for a mattress which can help with your specific back pain, take a look at our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the greatest amount of support. With that in mind, they’re best off with mattresses that are reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re considering the mattresses listed on this list it’s those like the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. If they want a wider range, go through our selection of the most comfortable sleeping mattresses designed for stomachs.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers are on the other end of the spectrum from stomach sleepers. While they still require some support, they generally prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. Many of the mattresses on this list should be an ideal fit for sleepers who prefer side sleeping particularly the Helix Midnight. Top Kind Of Mattress For Back Problems