So you’re in the market for a new mattress but don’t know what to look for. There are plenty of options to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments and other establishments, but there are a lot more rumbling around in the realm of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best bed for you in 2022? Top Mattress For Big And Tall
Keep in mind that the concept of “best” isn’t always the most accurate. Different people require different things of a mattress, and what is effective for one individual might not be suitable for someone else.
We kept a wide range of categories in mind when presenting our top picks. We hope that the majority of folks should be able to find not just an “best” mattress however, but one that is most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our best mattresses of 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we get into the in-depth details of each bed, we’d like to share a little bit about the method we used to choose these beds.
Here at Scaramouch, we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattresses in our mattress lab, running every one of them through tests such as pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer with the seismometer. Then, we assign each mattress an overall score according to the materials used and comfort, support, edge support, and cooling. We also factor in quality of the mattress with categories like warranty and value.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the most excellent of the best, we really looked at each mattress’s overall score into consideration. Each mattress on this list is rated 4 or higher. The most highly-scored mattresses are Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which were awarded an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
If you’re looking for a luxurious mattress, it’s important to find a mattress that ticks all the right boxes. You’re looking for a mattress with excellent support and pressure relief cushioning, and high-quality mattress materials that don’t fall apart too fast.
The Saatva provides all the advantages of costly models, but at an affordable cost. It is constructed with a strong coil-on-coil structure, it offers an innerspring-like feel that should be a good fit for a variety of sleepers. It is also available in three different firmness levels (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm and Firm) that increases its appeal.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers should be most comfortable with the Luxury and Firm versions while side sleepers will appreciate using the Plush Soft model. For those who sleep in combination you’ll be able to easily switch positions on any of the models due to the Saatva’s soft combination of support and comfort. The Saatva has even got an HD model designed specifically for those who sleep heavier.
Another added bonus of the Saatva mattress is that its coils offer the mattress exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to sit on or sleep close to the edge of the mattress without fearing that it’s going to fall over or make you fall over. The only drawback to the Saatva’s springiness is that it creates fairly high motion transfer, meaning that if you sleep with your partner, you might be able to feel each other’s movements during the night, particularly if one (or both) are the type of sleeper who is light.
In the end, it’s worthwhile shining a light on some of the Saatva’s high-quality materials. It’s made with Organic cotton as well as foams which are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t need the worry of sleeping near toxic chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now among the top notable names in the mattress game due to its flexibility. Customers are able to take a sleep test on the Helix website that takes their body type, sleeping preferences, as well as other aspects into account so that the brand can recommend the ideal mattress.
If you’re a sleeper on the side, it’s likely that you’ll be directed towards the Helix Midnight, which is a moderately firm mattress that gives an enveloping feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body, and it cradles delicate areas like hips and shoulders, which is essential for side sleepers because that’s the place they put the most stress when they sleep. Back sleepers should also be happy with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a excellent mattress for couples who sleep side-by-side. As a hybrid, there’s a layer of pocketed coils below the foams that provide enough support for two persons. This also causes a tiny bit of bounce, it shouldn’t be enough to disturb you or your partner. Plus, the responsiveness makes it a great mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a side sleeper looking for a bit more plush pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking for the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with additional foam layers. You can also look at our other best-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re sold on the Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or buts about it — mattresses aren’t cheap. However, that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot to get a good night’s Zzz’s. As an example the Nectar mattress is a great value buy that packs a powerful quality of sleep without costing you a fortune.
At present, it is priced under 1,000 for a queen bed after discounts The memory foam bed is constructed of 5″ of plush gel memory foam. This gives you plenty of sinkage and deep body-contouring that could work wonders for sleepers who are side-sleeping. They will also feel intense pressure relief and cushiony support at the shoulders and hips.
At the same time, the Nectar offers enough support thanks to the high-density foam beneath for back sleepers, who are likely to appreciate the moderate level of firmness. What’s more is that the memory foam absorbs a ton of motion throughout the entire structure, making it a great choice for couples. And if anyone’s in search for a bed that is super soft, they should check out Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, that comes with some extra bells and whistles.
Sold on this great value mattress? You can get a much better bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you’re sleeping with someone else and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It is available in three different sizes: Soft, Medium and Firm option which means that most couples will be in a position to find the bed that is right for their preferences. All models have solid edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and a solid motion-isolation, preventing you from being a victim of your partner’s every toss and turn.
Couples should also take cooling into consideration when shopping for the best mattress for them, since two bodies emit much more heat to the body than one. But this shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature, which has an naturally cool, similar to latex in the comfort layer. It also has an innovative hybrid design, with springs that allow for lots of airflow.
Another characteristic that is sure to appeal to lovebirds will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it to latex-like foam), which makes it an ideal mattress for sex. Also, it’s important to note that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand can pass on savings to the consumer. This is what makes Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature Signature (and every one of the brand’s products) an affordable mattress for couples, though one that’s still an appealing, high-quality feel.
If you think that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 lb and over), then you need a mattress that will adequately support you. Fortunately, the WinkBed comes in four firmness levels that include Luxury Firm, Softer, Firmer, and finally the Plus. The Plus is constructed with steel reinforced coils designed for heavier folks. These strengthened springs also result in stronger edge support which allows you to spread until the very end to the edge of your bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction gives you some soft pressure relief thanks to its quilted pillow-top layer and ample firmness thanks to its coil-like support layer. It also provides zones of support (a combination of soft and firmer foams, depending on the region) to ease aches and pains, especially on your back.
Outside of the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it’s going to be extremely cool sleeping. It has a breathable cover constructed of eco-friendly Tencel and the coils allow for a ton of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers maintain a cool temperature all night long.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
At a 7/10 on our firmness scale, the Bear will appeal to those looking for a firm and supportive bed. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density support foam on the bottom. It is over which is a lighter layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s plenty of support for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also get a little bit of contouring from a comfort layer of memory foam that’s coated by graphite gel. This keeps the mattress cool, as does the mattress cover made of breathable and lightweight material called Celliant.
However, it’s not the only noticeable feature of Celliant. Some studies show that it also promotes blood flow and could aid with recovery. This makes the Bear the perfect choice for anyone who lives an active life.
If you’re eager to curl up on the Bear, get our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers tend to need lots of support to keep their spines neutrally aligned and also get the relief from pressure to avoid pain in low back. They could find a great combination with the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress that uses an amalgamation of memory foam, poly foam and pocketed coils.
These materials make the DreamCloud slightly firmer than the medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel like they’re sitting on top of the mattress. In addition they’ll feel a bit of a hug due to the memory foam.
The memory foam has an infusion of cooling gel that prevents it from absorbing heat as traditional memory foam does. The bed’s coils create enough space to allow for plenty of airflow.
If you do end up opting for the DreamCloud be aware that it’s a very heavy mattress, and it could be a good idea to assist in the process of the move into your home (and maybe even setting it up) when it arrives.
Sold on the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper looking for a mattress that will to cool down during the night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the one for you. This mattress is built with cooling technology that helps draw the body’s heat from sleepers.
In the beginning, there’s an infusion of Phase Change Material, a special textile that absorbs heat from the sleeper and feels cool to the touch. Additionally, it has a layer of gel memory foam, which, in addition to being cool, provides plenty of comfort and relief from pain.
One other notable cooling feature as a brand GhostBed is known for the “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on many their mattresses. Additionally, it is made from a phase change material which helps with keeping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the sensation. Its only disadvantage is that it could be slippery, and you might prefer an upholstered sheet over your bed that keeps everything comfortable and cozy.
For feel in terms of feel, in terms of feel, the GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and is expected to provide the back and side sleepers the perfect balanced amount of support and comfort. It’s also an excellent choice for couples due to its fantastic motion absorption and its bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your primary concern is keeping cool, then you’ll enjoy GhostBed Luxe. GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the most affordable price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper that has struggled with back pain in the past the Casper Wave Hybrid is a good option. It combines soft top foams and sturdy steel coils that helps keep the spine neutral alignment and prevents back issues. In fact, the support is so solid that it can be a good option for people who sleep heavily over 250 pounds.
However, it’s not the only option that works with the Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel very comfortable lying on your side. Your shoulders should sink into the mattress and give you some refreshing pressure relief and your hips should feel supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will feel right at home with the Casper Wave Hybrid. The coil’s pocketed design provides plenty of room for airflow, and the comfort layer is constructed from what’s known as Airscape foam. Its aerated shape is extremely breathable and, as an additional feature, it features a thin coating of cooling gel up the top. All of these traits should aid in keeping to keep the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note that this is a receptive mattress and doesn’t have the more sluggish feel of memory foam. So if you’re a fan of the feeling of a quicksand it might be a good idea to reconsider your options.
You think you’ll find that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Check out the best price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
As a hybrid, it Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils that provide an optimum blend of support and comfort. Overall, we’d say it’s a bit soft with a score of 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for an example, moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This means that this model Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers who will feel amazing pressure relief as their shoulders and hips slide into the comfortable layer.
It’s worth noting that this section of comfort is made of not one, but two layers of foam: 2inches of ArcticTex fibers and an airfoam ice stretch. Both are made to keep the user at a comfortable temperature, with the latter being a graphite-infused version that is a modified version of Nolah AirFoam used in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who prefer a soft mattress might also like the Nolah and it’s a comfortable option for couples. They’ll not only feel that mixture of comfort and support we talked about, they’ll also be able to stretch because of the bed’s patented HDMax Eco Coils. at 8” tall they are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam for support, which supports both sides of the mattress, and also the middle. That means Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really exceptional edge support.
Are you sure that the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been looking for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress that you liked it, you may want to consider one of our more specific mattress guides. Below are a few of my suggestions based upon the type of body and age, sleeping position, and managing pain, and much more.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattresses that cushion pressure points at their hips and shoulders. Take a look at our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate balance of support and pressure relief to ensure their spines remain straight, and usually, that’s in a mattress that is medium-firm. There are some top-quality choices in the best mattress for back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive mattress that will keep their hips aligned to their shoulders. Find out more about why this is important in our top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Combination sleepers usually prefer mattresses that are easy to move around and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a mattress that is bouncy and has a an average-firm feel, similar to the ones we have in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are built in coil systems to provide support. They usually are firm and bouncy in feel and work well for back, stomach and combination sleepers. You can check out our best innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of coil and foam support and their feeling varies widely. Find the most popular hybrid mattresses to find out more.
- Foam mattresses do not have any coil support. They employ layers of foam to both provide cushioning and support to the sleeping person. They are the most favored type of all-foam mattress , which offer a lot of body-contouring as well as pressure relieving. Look over the top memory foam mattress to know more about these mattresses.
- Latex mattresses are often constructed using green Dunlop and Talalay latex foam. These beds are naturally cooling and lively. Combination sleepers and heavy people often like these beds. Take a look at the top latex mattresses for more on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses make use of air to provide support to the sleeper overnight! A few of the most comfortable adjustable mattresses are advanced air mattresses. Find out more about them in our roundup of the the best air mattresses..
Choosing a sleep surface that helps mitigate pain is especially important sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve selected mattress options that could help with several different types of pain. Based on your needs, I’d recommend looking at the top pillows for shoulders, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the best sciatica mattresses articles to know more about the best pain management options.
- If you are looking for a long-lasting quality mattress at a reasonable price, look into the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re more interested in finding a bed of high-end quality which is worth the price consider looking at the most comfortable mattresses available for the cost.
- If you’re on a strict budget, take a look at our top mattresses for under $1,000 or the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of a mattress that sleeps cool I would suggest you go with one of the following: latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. They tend to encourage airflow, which is essential to keep the temperature low at night.
- My top air-conditioned beds in our roundup of the most comfortable cooling mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 pounds) are likely to find mattresses firmer than average-weight sleepers. I’d suggest these sleepers take a review of the top soft mattresses to ensure they have the pressure relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over lb) need a bed with an extra level of support to stop the mattress from sagging prematurely. Edge support and overall durability are the most important considerations. To find out how to pick the right mattress for your body type go to our site to find the the best mattresses for those who weigh a lot..
- Kids are growing rapidly and evolving bodies that have specific sleep needs! Learn how to prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- Seniors (over 65) tend to prefer more traditional mattresses that offer flexibility and support, yet are still gentle on sensitive joints. I suggest looking at our top mattresses for seniors to discover a feeling that works for you.
- Teens are still growing, and they have their own sleep needs, as well! Find out more about selecting the right mattress for them in our best mattresses for teenagers.
Sleeping with a Partner
- If you share a bed with a partner (or pet! ), it’s important to select one that has low motion transfer. I suggest taking a look at the top couples’ mattresses to get some ideas and beds with impressive edges, cool options as well as other features that couples could take into consideration.
- Similarly, couples in search of the best mattress for sex are able to look through our guide to beds that are responsive and comfortable enough for getting close.
Top Mattress For Big And Tall FAQs
What is the best price to spend on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here and it’s crucial to take your own budget into account. Thankfully, there are great mattresses available at nearly every price point! Overall, a budget mattress is usually considered to be one that’s under $1,000 for a queen-size.
How often should I replace my mattress?
In general, you should replace your old mattress each 7-10 years. However, a mattress may be prone to sagging if you don’t place it on a good foundation or treat it with care. It is also possible to extend the life of a mattress some time by adding an mattress topper.
When you purchase a brand new bed, you need to check the warranty. It can also give you a good idea of the length it’s expected to last.
What is the best mattress for back pain?
Most people who struggle with back pain find the medium-firm or firm mattress is ideal for their back. This kind of bed can assist you in keeping your spine straight overnight, which can help alleviate a lot of back pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will ease your back pain, check out our top mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress to stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping positions, stomach sleepers need the greatest amount of support. With that in mind, they’re better off using mattresses that are reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re looking at the mattresses in this list it’s the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. For a more expansive choice, go through our selection of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers are at the other side of the spectrum from stomach sleepers. While they still require some support, they usually prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. A majority of the mattresses listed here should be ideal for side sleepers particularly those who sleep on the Helix Midnight. Top Mattress For Big And Tall