If you’re looking to buy a brand new bed but have no idea where to begin. Not only are there choices to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments, but there are hundreds more swirling within the realm of bed-in-a-box companies that are digital. So , what’s the ideal bed for you in 2022? Best Kind Of Bed For Your Back
Well, keep in mind that the concept of “best” is somewhat subjective. Different people require different things from a bed, so what works for one person will not work for another.
We kept a wide range of subjects in our mind while presenting our top picks. We hope that the majority of people will be able to get not only the “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we dive into the details of each bed we’d like to tell you some details about how we came to select them.
At Scaramouch, we’ve reviewed more than 220 products through our bed lab, running every one of them through tests like pressure mapping and measuring motion transfer using a seismometer. We then give every bed an overall score based on materials as well as comfort, support edge support, and cooling. We also consider the performance of the brand, like value and warranty.
Since we wanted our compilation of Best Mattresses to represent the most excellent out of them, we considered each bed’s overall score into consideration. Every last mattress in this list has an overall score of 4 or higher. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both of which scored an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When shopping for a luxury mattress, it’s important to find a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You’re looking for a mattress with excellent support as well as pressure relief that cushions and high-quality materials that won’t be able to break down as quickly.
The Saatva offers all of the advantages of the more costly models, but at lower costs. With a durable coil-on-coil structure, it offers an innerspring-like feel , which is an ideal fit for all types of sleepers. It is also available in three different firmness levels (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm) and increases its appeal.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers should be the most comfortable on the Luxury and Firm versions. While those who sleep on their sides should prefer using the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper will likely be able to shift positions with any of the models, thanks to the Saatva’s springy blend of comfort and support. It even has an HD model designed specifically for heavier sleepers.
Another benefit of the Saatva is that its coils offer the mattress exceptional edge support. It should be possible to sleep or sit near the edge of the mattress and not feel like it’s about to fall down or make you fall over. The only issue with this springy mattress is the fact that it results in fairly high motion transfer, which means that if you sleep with your partner, you might feel each other’s movements at night, particularly if one or the other is the type of sleeper who is light.
It’s also worth shining a a light on some of the Saatva’s premium materials. It’s made with Organic cotton as well as foams which are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you don’t have to worry about sleeping in a room with dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now one of the most recognizable names in the mattress industry due to its flexibility. Customers are able to take a sleep test through the Helix website and take the body type, sleep preferences, and other factors into consideration so that the brand can recommend the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side-sleeper is likely to be pointed toward the Helix Midnight, an average-firm mattress that provides a hug-like feel. The foam comfort layer contours to the body, and it cradles delicate areas like shoulders and hips, which is crucial for those who sleep on their sides because it’s where they put the most pressure when sleeping. Back sleepers should be satisfied with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a ideal mattress for couples that sleep on their sides. As a hybrid with a mattress, it has pockets beneath the foams that provide sufficient support to accommodate two people. While this also results in a tiny bit of bounce, it’s not enough to cause any major disturbance to you or your partner. Plus, the responsiveness makes it a good mattress for sex.
If you’re a sleeper on the side who needs a little more pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking into Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress which comes with extra foam layers. It’s also possible to take a look at other of our top-rated mattresses for side sleepers. Or, if you’re sold on the Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or even buts about it. Mattresses can be extremely expensive. However, that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot to get a good night’s Zzz’s. For instance it’s the Nectar mattress is a great value buy with a significant comfort punch without breaking the bank.
Currently priced at under $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts, this memory foam bed is made by using 5″ of luxurious gel memory foam. This provides ample relaxation and body contouring that could work wonders for those who sleep on their sides. You should also feel intense pressure relief and cushiony support at the shoulders and hips.
However it is also a good choice for back sleepers. Nectar offers enough support thanks to the high-density foam beneath for those who sleep on their backs, and should enjoy the medium level of firmness. What’s more is that the memory foam absorbs a ton of motion throughout the entire structure, making it a great option for couples. And if anyone’s in search of a super-soft bed and would like to know more about Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, that comes with some extra bells and whistles.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? Find a more affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you share a bed with a partner The Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples require. It comes in a Soft, Medium and Firm version which means that most couples will be in a position to find the bed that is right for their needs. All models have strong edges (which make the bed feel larger) and a solid motion-isolation, preventing you from feeling your partner’s every toss and turn.
Couples should also take cooling into consideration when choosing a new mattress, as two bodies give off more body heat than one. But this should not be a problem for the Signature model, which features the naturally cooling similar to latex in the cushion layer. It also has an innovative design that incorporates springs that can accommodate lots of airflow.
Another feature that will appeal to lovebirds are the signature’s bounciness (chalk it to latex-like foam) and makes it a good mattress for sexual sex. Finally, it’s worth noting the fact that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand is able to pass savings onto the customer. This means that the Signature (and every one of the other products by the brand) an affordable mattress for couples — albeit one that has an excellent, premium feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier person (250 lb and over) and you’re looking for an appropriate mattress that can adequately support you. Fortunately, the WinkBed comes in four firmness levels including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s, the Plus, which is made with reinforced steel coils specifically designed for people who weigh more. The strengthened springs result in a stronger edge support, allowing you to spread out until the very end to the edge of your bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides soft pressure relief thanks to its quilted pillow-top layer and plenty of firm support thanks to its coil-like support layer. It also provides zones of support (a combination of softer and more firm foams, based on the area) to ease discomfort and pain, particularly for back pain.
In addition to this WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it will be extremely cool sleeping. It has a breathable cover constructed out of sustainable Tencel, and the coils permit plenty of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers to keep their temperature at a minimum all night long.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 rating on our firmness scale 7/10, the Bear should appeal to folks in search of a firm and comfortable bed. This comes from a thick layer of high-density support foam at the bottom, over which is a lighter layer of a flexible transition foam.
There’s likely to be sufficient support for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also receive a more contouring with a comfort layer of memory foam infused by graphite. This helps the mattress stay cool, as does a mattress cover made of breathable and lightweight material called Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only noticeable feature of Celliant. There are studies that show it also promotes blood flow and could aid with recovery. The Bear the perfect choice for athletes or anyone who is active.
If you’re eager to curl in Bear Bear, get our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers tend to need lots of support to ensure their spines are aligned, while also receiving the necessary relief from pressure at low back. They might find a good combination in the DreamCloud, a hybrid mattress that combines the combination with memory foam and poly foam, as well as pocketed coils.
These materials make the DreamCloud just a bit firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers will feel as if they’re on top bed. At the same time they’ll feel a squeeze from the memory foam.
In addition, the memory foam comes with an infusion of cooling gel which prevents it from storing heat as traditional memory foam does. The bed’s coils create space for a lot of airflow.
If you end up choosing the DreamCloud, know that it’s a hefty bed, so it may be beneficial to assist in the process of the move into your home (and maybe even setting it up) after it’s arrived.
Are you sold on you’re interested in the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here for our best price.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are in search of a bed that will to cool down during the night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the best choice that is right for you. This mattress is built with cooling technology that draws the body’s heat from sleepers.
In the beginning, there’s an injection of Phase Change Material, a special fabric that draws heat away from the sleeper and feels cool to the feel. Additionally, it has an underlying layer of gel memory foam that as well as being cool, also provides lots of cushioning and pain relief.
One other notable cooling feature: As a brand, GhostBed is famous for the “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on many of its mattresses. Additionally, it is made from a phase change material that assists in helping with keeping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the touch. The only drawback is that it can be a bit slippery, which is why you may want to use an upholstered sheet over your bed that keeps everything comfortable and cozy.
For feel in terms of feel, it’s a great choice for those who want to feel. GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and will give side sleepers and back sleepers a balance of comfort and support. It’s also an excellent choice for couples due to its excellent motion absorption as well as bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your main concern is staying cool, you’ll love this GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the most competitive price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who has had issues with back pain in the past, the Casper Wave Hybrid is a great choice. It combines soft top foams with supportive steel coilsthat assists in keeping the spine balanced alignment and avoids back problems. Actually the support is so sturdy that it might also be an ideal alternative for those who weigh more than 250 lb.
However, it’s not the only position that is suitable that works with the Casper Wave Hybrid. You should feel comfortable lying on your side. Your shoulders should sink into the mattress and give you some refreshing pressure relief while your hips feel comfortable and supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will feel right at home on this Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer provides plenty of room for airflow. The comfort layer is constructed from what’s known as Airscape foam. The aerated structure is highly airy and as an added touch, it has an extremely thin layer of cooling gel up over the top. All of these traits should assist in helping you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note the fact that it’s a receptive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feeling like memory foam. If you’re fond of that quicksand feeling it might be a good idea to consider a different bed.
Are you thinking that you’ll be able to use the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and aches? Shop here for our lowest price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
It’s a hybrid mattress, and it Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a layer of coils for a mixture of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say that it’s on the soft side and scored a 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for the sake of context, moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This means that this model Nolah Evolution an especially good match for side sleepers who will feel amazing pressure relief as their hips and shoulders slide into the comfortable layer.
It’s important to note that this comfort section is composed of not two, but one layer of foam: 2” of ArcticTex fibers, and a stretch of AirFoamICE. Both are designed to keep the sleeper cool, with the latter being a graphite-infused version from the first Nolah AirFoam used in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who like mattresses that are soft might appreciate the Nolah as it’s an ideal choice for couples. Not only will they get that mix of support and comfort that we mentioned — they’ll be able stretch out thanks to the bed’s patent-pending HDMax Eco-Support Coils. At 8” tall, these springs are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam for support, which holds up the sides of the mattress, as well as the middle. This means that the Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Are it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you weren’t able to find the mattress that you liked, you might benefit from one of our more specific mattress guides. Below are a few of my recommendations based on the type of body and age, sleeping position, and pain management, and more.
- Side sleepers are best on soft to medium-firm mattress that cushions the pressure points in their hips and shoulders. Take a look at our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate balance of support and pressure relief to keep their spines straight, and usually, that’s in the middle-firm range of mattresses. There are some top-quality alternatives in the top mattress to back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers need a firm bed that keeps their hips in alignment to their shoulders. Find out why this is important in our best stomach mattresses sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are simple to move about and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a cushioned mattress with a medium-firm feel, like the ones in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are based upon coils to support. They usually are firm and bouncy in feel, and are suitable for back, stomach, and combination sleepers. Check out our top innerspring mattresses to find out more.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of coil and foam support, and their feel varies widely. Find the top hybrid mattresses for more information.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They make use of layers of foam to both provide cushioning and support to the sleeping person. They are the most popular kind of all-foam mattress which offers a wide range of body-contouring and pressure relief. Look over the most comfortable memory foam mattress to find out more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are often constructed from green Dunlop as well as Talalay latex foam. They are naturally cool and bouncey. People who sleep in a combination and are heavy typically like these beds. Check out the top latex mattresses for more on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses use air to support the sleeper throughout the night! The top adjustable beds are the most advanced air mattresses. Find out more about them in our roundup of the top air mattresses..
Selecting a mattress that helps mitigate the pain is crucial for those who live with chronic pain. I’ve selected mattress options which can ease different kinds of pain. Based on the type of pain you’re experiencing I’d suggest you look at the most suitable pillows for shoulders, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the top sciatica-specific mattresses. articles to find out more about the best pain management options.
- If you’re looking for a sturdy quality mattress at a reasonable price, look into the top mattresses for cheap.
- If you’re interested in finding a bed of high-end quality that’s worth the price consider looking at the most comfortable mattresses available for the money.
- If you’re working on a strict budget, take a look at our best mattresses under 1,000 as well as the most affordable mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of mattresses that are cool to sleep on I suggest an innerspring, Latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. These beds tend to promote ventilation, which can be important for keeping the temperature at a minimum in the night.
- You can see my favorite mattresses that breathe in our roundup of top cooling mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers who are light (under 130 lb) are likely to discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I’d suggest these sleepers take a glance at top soft mattresses to make sure they receive the relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over 1 lb) need a bed with additional support to avoid premature mattress sagging. Edge support and overall durability are usually important concerns. For more information on how to select the best mattress for your body type check out our website for top mattresses designed for those who weigh a lot..
- Kids have rapidly growing and changing bodies with specific sleep needs! Learn how to prioritize your child’s health and sleep in our best mattresses for kids.
- The elderly (over 65) typically prefer traditional feeling mattresses that offer support and mobility, but aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I would suggest taking a look at our top mattress for older adults to find one that works for you.
- Teens are still growing, and they have unique requirements for sleep, as well! Find out more about selecting the right mattress for them in our top mattresses for teenagers.
Sharing a bed with a partner
- If you are sharing a bed with a companion (or pet! ), it’s important to choose an option that is low in motion transfer. I suggest taking a look at the most suitable mattresses for couples for a few examples and beds with impressive edge support, cooling features as well as other features that couples might be thinking about.
- Couples in search of the best mattresses for sex can look through our guide to beds that are responsive and comfortable enough to allow you to get close.
Best Kind Of Bed For Your Back FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here and it’s crucial to take your own budget into account. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses at all price points! Overall, a budget mattress is generally considered to be one priced under $1000 for a Queen-sized.
How often should I replace my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress at least each 7-10 years. However, a mattress may sag prematurely if you don’t place it on a proper foundation or treat it with care. You can also prolong the lifespan of a mattress that is old for some time by adding a mattress topper.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, it’s important to check its warranty. This will also provide you with an idea of how long it’s expected to last.
What is the most comfortable mattress to relieve back stiffness?
Most people who struggle with back pain discover that a firm or medium-firm mattress is best for their back. This kind of bed can assist you in keeping your spine straight during the night as well as help ease a lot of back pain. If you’re looking for a mattress which can help with your specific back pain, look through our top mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the most support. This is why they’re advised to choose a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re looking at the mattresses listed on this list it’s those like the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva might be viable options. If they want a wider choice, go through our selection of the most comfortable mattresses for stomach sleepers.
What’s the ideal mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers are at the other side of the spectrum of stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they tend to prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. Many of the mattresses on this list should be ideal for side sleepers especially those who sleep on the Helix Midnight. Best Kind Of Bed For Your Back