If you’re looking to buy a brand new bed, but don’t know what to look for. Not only are there choices that can be found in brick-and-mortar establishments, but there are hundreds more rumbling around within the realm of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best mattress for 2022? Best Bed For Back Pain On A Budget
Well, keep in mind that the term “best” is a bit subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features from a bed, so what’s best for one person may not work for another.
That’s why we made sure to keep a broad range of categories in mind when we made our top picks. Our hope is that most users will be able discover not only the “best” mattress and not just the one that’s best for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we really dive into the details of each of these beds we’d like to tell you a little bit about the method we used to choose them.
At Scaramouch we’ve evaluated more than 220 products within our lab for mattresses, putting every one of them through tests such as pressure-mapping and assessing motion transfer using a seismometer. We then give each bed an overall rating according to the materials used, comfort, support, cooling, and edge support. We also factor in quality of the mattress with categories like warranty and value.
Because we wanted our list of Best Mattresses to represent the best of the best, we really considered each bed’s overall score into account. Every last mattress on this list is rated 4/5 or higher. The most highly-scored mattresses are Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which have scored an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When shopping for a luxury mattress, you should choose a mattress that checks all the boxes. You want something with good support as well as pressure relief that cushions and high-quality materials that aren’t going to be able to break down as quickly.
The Saatva offers all of the advantages of costly models, but for lower costs. It is constructed with a strong coil-on-coil structure, it offers the traditional innerspring feel that should be suitable to a wide range of sleepers. It is also available in three different firmness levels (Plush soft, Luxury Firm and Firm) that makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Back and stomach sleepers are likely to be most comfortable on Luxury as well as the Firm model while those who sleep on their sides should prefer more of the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper you’ll be able to quickly switch positions on any of the models, due to the Saatva’s soft blend of comfort and support. There’s even an HD model made specifically for sleepers who are heavier.
Another added bonus of the Saatva mattress is that its coils give the bed an exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to lie down or sit close to the edge of the mattress without feeling like it’s about to fall down or make you fall over. The only downside to the Saatva’s springiness is that it results in an extremely high amount of motion transfer meaning that if you sleep with an individual, you could feel each other’s movements at night, especially if one or both of you is an eazy sleeper.
Finally, it’s worth shining the spotlight on the Saatva’s premium materials. It’s made with organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you won’t have the worry of sleeping with toxic chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become one of the most notable brands in the mattress market due to its flexibility. Customers can take a sleep quiz on the Helix website that takes the body type, sleep preferences, and other factors into account so that the company can suggest the ideal mattress.
If you’re a side-sleeper most likely, you’ll be pointed toward the Helix Midnight, which is a moderately firm mattress that gives the feeling of a hug. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and cradles vulnerable areas such as the hips and shoulders. This is essential for side sleepers since this is where they place the most stress when they sleep. Back sleepers must also be satisfied with this combination of comfort and support.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a excellent mattress for couples who sleep side-by-side. Since it’s a hybrid, there’s a layer of pockets beneath the foams, which creates enough support for two persons. This also causes some bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to seriously disturb either of you. Plus, the responsiveness makes it a good mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a sleeper on the side who wants some extra plush pressure-relief, you should check out Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with additional foam layers. You can also look at our other best-rated side sleeper mattresses. Or, if you’re convinced by Helix Midnight, you can purchase it here. Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Mattresses can be extremely expensive. But that doesn’t mean that you must spend a lot to get a good night’s Zzz’s. For instance, it’s the Nectar mattress is a great quality mattress that packs a powerful comfort punch without breaking the bank.
The current price is less than $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts The memory foam bed is made by using 5″ of soft Gel memory foam. This allows for ample relaxation and body contouring that could work wonders for sleepers who are side-sleeping. They will also feel immense pressure relief and soft support around the shoulders and hips.
In addition it is also a good choice for back sleepers. Nectar has enough support in its high-density foam below for those who sleep on their backs, and are likely to appreciate the moderate level of firmness. Additionally, the memory foam absorbs a ton of motion across the entire structure which makes it an ideal pick for couples. And if anyone’s in search of a super-soft bed you should look into the brand’s Nectar Premier, that comes with some extra features and bells.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? You can get a much better bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you sleep with your partner, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples need. It comes in a Medium, Soft, and Firm model which means that most couples will be able to find the right bed for their preferences. All models have sturdy edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and a solid motion-isolation, preventing your partner from feeling every toss and turn.
Couples must also take cooling into consideration when shopping for an appropriate mattress, because two bodies give off much more heat to the body than one. However, this should not be a problem for the Signature mattress, which is made of a naturally cooling, latex-like foam that is in the cushion layer. It also has a hybrid design with springs that can accommodate plenty of airflow.
Another trait that should be attractive to lovers will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it to latex-like foam) and makes it a good mattress for sex. Also, it’s important to note the fact that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, which means that the brand can pass on savings on to customers. This makes the Signature (and every one of the products from the brand) a budget-friendly mattress for couples, but one that still has an excellent, premium feel.
If you think that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier sleeper (250 pounds and above) is the case, you’ll need a mattress that will comfortably support you. The WinkBed is available in four firmness levels including Luxury Firm, Softer, Firmer, and finally the Plus, which is constructed with steel reinforced coils specifically designed for people who weigh more. The strengthened springs result in a stronger edge support, allowing you to spread out to the end to the edge of your bed.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction provides gentle pressure relief from the quilted top layer of its pillow and plenty of firm support thanks to its pocketed coil support layer. The mattress also offers zones of support (a combination of soft and firmer foams, depending on the area) to ease backaches and muscle pains, specifically on your back.
In addition to it being the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it will be extremely cool sleeping. It has a breathable cover constructed from eco-friendly Tencel, and the coils permit an abundance of airflow. This should help heavier sleepers maintain a cool temperature through the entire night.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Get the best price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 score on our firmness scale it is a Bear is a good choice for those looking for a firm and supportive mattress. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density foam in the middle, topped by a thinner layer of a flexible transition foam.
There’s likely to be sufficient support for those who sleep on their backs, and they’ll also receive a bit of contouring from the cushion of comfort foam that’s coated by graphite gel. This keeps the mattress cool, as does a cover of breathable, lightweight material called Celliant.
But cooling isn’t the only noticeable aspect of Celliant. There are studies that show it also promotes blood flow and might help in the recovery process. The Bear an ideal choice for athletes or anyone who practices an active lifestyle.
If you’re ready to curl up on your Bear, get our top bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require a lot of support to keep their spines neutrally aligned, while also receiving the necessary relief from pressure to avoid pain in the lower back. They could find a great combination in the DreamCloud hybrid mattress that uses an amalgamation with memory foam and poly foam, as well as pocketed coils.
The materials used make the DreamCloud slightly firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel like they’re on top of the bed. In addition they’ll feel a bit of a hug from the memory foam.
Speaking of which, the memory foam has an infusion of cooling gel that prevents it from absorbing heat like the traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils create space for a lot of airflow.
If you end up choosing the DreamCloud be aware that it’s a very heavy bed, so it may be beneficial to assist in the process of the move into your home (and maybe even setting it up) once it arrives.
Have you bought your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best price.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper looking for a mattress that will to cool down during the night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the ideal mattress that is right for you. This mattress is built with cooling technology that helps draw the body’s heat from the sleeper.
The first is an injection of Phase Change Material, a special fabric that draws heat away from the person sleeping and is cool to the feel. Additionally, it has an underlying layer of gel memory foam which is, in addition to being cooling, offers lots of comfort and cushioning.
Another notable cooling characteristic is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is well-known by its “Ghost Ice” cover for some their mattresses. Also made with a Phase Change Material which assists in helping to ensure that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the touch. The only downside is it is a little slippery, and you might prefer a fitted sheet on your bed to keep it neat and secure.
For feel In terms of comfort, it’s a great choice for those who want to feel. GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and is expected to provide those who sleep on their sides and backs a combination of comfort and support. It’s also an excellent choice for couples because of its fantastic motion absorption and its bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If you’re primarily concerned with keeping cool, then you’ll enjoy the GhostBed Luxe. Click here to get the best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper that has struggled with back discomfort in the past, it is recommended that the Casper Wave Hybrid is a good option. It blends soft top foams and sturdy steel coils that assists in keeping the spine balanced alignment and prevents back issues. In fact the support is solid that it can be a great alternative for those who weigh more than 250 pounds.
However, it’s not the only suitable position that works with this Casper Wave Hybrid. You should feel at ease sleeping on your back. The shoulders ought to sink down into your bed and allow you to get some relief from the pressure, and your hips should feel supported.
Additionally, hot sleepers should be comfortable with the Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer provides plenty of room for airflow, and the comfort layer is made of what’s known as Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely breathable and, as an additional feature, it features an extremely thin layer of cooling gel up top. All of these features will assist in helping to keep the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth pointing out that this is a very responsive bed that doesn’t offer the slower-moving feeling that memory foam provides. So if you’re a fan of that quicksand feeling then you might want to look elsewhere.
Are you thinking that you’ll find that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and discomforts? Check out the best price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
As a hybrid, the Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a layer of coils to provide the perfect blend of comfort and support. In general, we’d say it’s on the soft side and scored a 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for the sake of context, the medium-firm range is 6.5/10). This makes Nolah Evolution Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side, who should feel some fantastic pressure relief as their shoulders and hips slide into the comfort layer.
It’s worth pointing out that the comfort section is comprised of not just only one, but two layers of foam: 2inches of ArcticTex fibers, and a stretch of AirFoamICE. Both of these materials are made to keep the user at a comfortable temperature, with the former being a graphite-infused variant of the original Nolah AirFoam found in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who prefer a soft mattress might also enjoy the Nolah as it’s a comfy choice for couples. It’s not just that they’ll feel that mixture of support and comfort we talked about, they’ll also be able to stretch due to the bed’s exclusive HDMax Eco-Support Coils. at 8” tall they are wrapped in Edge-Tech support foam, which holds up on the edges of the bed as well as the middle. This means that the Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Are it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been looking for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you weren’t able to find the mattress you wanted above, you might benefit from one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Here are some of my recommendations based on the type of body, age, sleep posture, the management of pain, among other things.
- Side sleepers are best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion the pressure points in their hips and shoulders. Check out our top mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate level of support and pressure relief to ensure their spines remain straight, and typically, they’ll find this in the middle-firm range of mattresses. You can find high-end options in the best mattress for back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress that keeps their hips in alignment to their shoulders. Learn more about why that’s essential in our top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Sleepers who are prone to combination prefer mattresses that are easy to move about and change positions on. I would suggest these sleepers stick to a mattress that is bouncy and has a a medium-firm feel, like the ones we have in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely in coil systems to provide support. They often are firm and bouncy in feel and work well for back, stomach and combination sleepers. Check out our best innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of coils and foam and their comfort differs widely. Check out the top hybrid mattresses to learn more.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They use layers of foam that cushion and help the sleeper. Mattresses made of memory foam are well-known type of all-foam mattress , which offers a wide range of body-contouring and relief from pressure. Take a look at the top memory foam mattresses to learn more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are often constructed using environmentally friendly Dunlop as well as Talalay latex foam. These beds are naturally cooling and lively. Combination sleepers and heavy people typically like these beds. Check out the top latex mattresses for more on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses make use of air to support the sleeper throughout the night! Some of the most comfortable adjustable beds are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Learn more in our roundup of the best air mattresses..
Selecting a mattress that can help ease pain is especially important sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve compiled a list of mattress options that can help you with kinds of pain. Depending on what you need I’d suggest you look at the most suitable mattresses for shoulder pain, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain and the best sciatica mattresses articles to find out more about the best pain management options.
- If you want a durable value mattress, take a look at the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re interested in finding a high-quality bed that’s worth the cost check out the top mattresses for your cost.
- If you’re on a tight budget, see our best mattresses under $1000 as well as the top mattresses for $500 or less.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re looking for an ideal mattress for sleeping cool I would suggest you go with one of the following: mattress made of latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. These beds tend to promote the circulation of air, and this is crucial to keep the temperature low at night.
- You can see my favorite air-conditioned beds in our list of the most comfortable cooling mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lb) will often discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I’d suggest for these sleepers to take a glance at most comfortable mattresses to make sure they receive the relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over lb) require a mattress that provides extra support to prevent the mattress from sagging prematurely. Overall durability and edge support are the most important considerations. For more information on how to select a mattress that suits your body check out our website for best mattresses for heavy people.
- Kids have rapidly growing and evolving bodies that have specific sleep needs! Learn to prioritize your child’s sleep health in our top mattresses for kids..
- The elderly (over 65) generally prefer more traditional mattresses that offer mobility and support, but are still gentle on sensitive joints. I suggest looking at our top mattresses for older people to find a feel that is suitable for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have their own sleeping needs too! Learn more about choosing the right mattress for them in our top mattresses for teenagers.
Sleeping with a partner
- If you are sharing a bed with a companion (or pet! ), it’s important to choose an option that is low in motion transfer. I would suggest looking at the best mattresses for couples to get some ideas and beds with impressive edge support, cooling features as well as other features that couples could be thinking about.
- Similarly, couples in search of the best mattresses for sex should look through our guide to mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough for getting close.
Best Bed For Back Pain On A Budget FAQs
What is the best price to spend on a mattress?
There’s no clear answer to this and it’s crucial to take your own budget into consideration. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses available at nearly every price point! A budget mattress is typically considered one that’s under $1,000 for a Queen-sized.
How often should I replace my mattress?
In general, you should replace your mattress at least at least every seven to ten years. However, a mattress can sag prematurely if you don’t place it on a proper foundation or treat it with care. It is also possible to extend the life of an old mattress for some time by putting on an mattress topper.
Whenever you’re buying a new bed, you need to check its warranty. This will also provide you with an idea of how long it should last.
What is the best mattress for back pain?
The majority of people with back pain discover that a medium or firm mattress is the best choice for those with back pain. This type of bed will assist you in keeping your spine straight throughout the night and can ease a lot of back pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will ease your back pain, look through our top mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all the sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the greatest amount of support. In this regard, they’re better off using mattresses that are reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re considering the mattresses on this list that include those like the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. To get a larger range, check out our roundup of the top mattress for stomach-sleepers.
What’s the best mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers are at the other end of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. Although they do require support, they generally prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. The majority of mattresses listed here should be a great match for those who sleep on their sides particularly the Helix Midnight. Best Bed For Back Pain On A Budget