So you’re in the market of a mattress but don’t know where to begin. There are many options to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments and other establishments, but there are a lot more swirling in the world of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best mattresses for the year 2022? Best Bed For Back Pain Good Housekeeping
Keep in mind that the term “best” isn’t always the most accurate. Different people require different things of a mattress, and what’s best for one person might not be suitable for someone else.
That’s why we kept a wide range of categories in mind when presenting our top picks. Our goal is that all folks should be able to find not just an “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 include:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we get into the in-depth details of each of these beds, we’d like to share a little bit about the process we used to select these beds.
Here at Scaramouch we’ve evaluated more than 220 mattress models through our bed lab, running every one of them through tests such as pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer using a seismometer. We then give every bed an overall score in accordance with the material as well as comfort, support cooling, and edge support. We also factor in quality of the mattress with categories such as value and warranty.
Since we wanted our roundup of Best Mattresses to represent the most excellent among the top, we really took each bed’s overall score into account. Every last mattress in this list is rated 4 out of 5 or more. The most highly-scored mattresses are Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both of which were awarded an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When shopping for a luxury mattress, you must choose a mattress that checks all the boxes. You’ll want a mattress that offers good support as well as pressure relief that cushions and quality materials that won’t break down too quickly.
The Saatva offers all of the benefits of those costly models, but at a more affordable price. With a durable coil-on-coil structure, it offers an innerspring-like feeling that is a good fit for all types of sleepers. It is also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Luxury Firm, Soft Luxury Firm, and Firm) that makes it more appealing to a wider audience.
Stomach and back sleepers should be most comfortable with the Luxury and Firm versions while side sleepers should enjoy more of the Plush Soft model. As for combination sleepers, they’ll likely be able to change positions on any of the models, because of the Saatva’s springy combination of support and comfort. There’s even an HD model designed specifically for sleepers who are heavier.
Another added bonus of the Saatva mattress is that its coils give the bed exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to sit on or sleep near the edge of the mattress without feeling like it’s going to collapse or make you fall over. The only downside to this springy mattress is the fact that it causes fairly high motion transfer, which means that if you sleep with your partner, you might feel each other’s movements at night, especially if one or both of you is the type of sleeper who is light.
Finally, it’s worth shining a light on some of the Saatva’s high-quality materials. It’s made from natural cotton, and is CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you won’t have be concerned about sleeping in a room with harmful chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix is now an extremely notable brands in the mattress market due to its customizable. Customers can take a test on their sleep via the Helix website that takes their body type, sleep preferences, as well as other aspects into consideration , so that the company can suggest the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side sleeper is likely to be directed towards the Helix Midnight — a moderately firm mattress that gives a hug-like feel. The comfort layer of foam contours to the body and supports sensitive areas like the hips and shoulders, which is crucial for those who sleep on their sides because that’s the place they put the most pressure when sleeping. Back sleepers should also be happy with this combination of support and comfort.
The Helix Midnight is also a excellent mattress for couples who sleep side-by-side. As a hybrid with a mattress, it has pockets of coils that are encased beneath the foams, which creates enough support for two people. While this also results in the slightest amount of bounce, it shouldn’t be enough to seriously disturb either of you. Additionally, the mattress’s responsiveness makes it a great mattress for sex.
If you’re a sleeper on the side who wants some extra plush pressure relief, I’d suggest checking out Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with extra foam layers. You can also look at our other best-rated side sleeper mattresses. If you’re sold on the Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or even buts about it. Mattresses can be incredibly expensive. But that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. For example it’s the Nectar mattress is a great value buy that packs a powerful comfort punch without costing you a fortune.
The current price is less than $1,000 for a Queen after discounts The memory foam bed is made by using 5″ of luxurious mattress made of gel. This allows for ample sinkage and deep body-contouring that could work wonders for those who sleep on their sides. They will also feel intense pressure relief and soft support around the hips and shoulders.
However the Nectar offers enough support thanks to the high-density foam beneath for back sleepers, who should enjoy the medium thickness of its mattress. Additionally, the memory foam can withstand a great deal of motion across the mattress which makes it an ideal option for couples. And if anyone’s in search of a super-soft bed and would like to know more about Nectar Premier, the company’s Nectar Premier, with additional features and bells.
Sold on this great value mattress? Get an even cheaper deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you sleep with a partner The Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples require. It is available in a Soft, Medium and Firm version, so most couples should be able to find a bed that works for their preferences. Each of them has solid edges (which makes the bed appear larger) and solid motion isolation, keeping your partner from feeling every toss and turn.
Couples should consider cooling when shopping for the best mattress for them, since two bodies produce more body heat than one. However, this isn’t a problem with the Signature mattress, which is made of a naturally cooling, similar to latex in its comfort layer. It also has an innovative hybrid design, with springs that have room for lots of airflow.
Another feature that will attract lovers are the signature’s bounciness (chalk it up to the latex-like foam) and makes it a great mattress for sex. Also, it’s important to note it’s worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, meaning that the company is able to pass savings onto the customer. This is what makes Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature Signature (and all of the brand’s products) a budget-friendly mattress for couples — albeit one that’s still a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavy sleeper (250 pounds or more) and you’re looking for an appropriate mattress that can adequately support you. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes in four firmness levels including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s the Plus, which is made of reinforced steel coils designed for heavier folks. The strengthened springs result in a stronger edge support, which allows you to spread until the edge of the bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction gives you some mild pressure relief from the quilted top layer of its pillow and ample firmness from its coil-like support layer. It also comes with zoned support (a mixture of soft and firmer foams, based on the area) to ease aches and pains, especially on your back.
In addition to it being the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool sleeping. There’s a breathable cover made from eco-friendly Tencel and the coils provide an abundance of airflow. This can help sleepers who are heavier keep a low temperature throughout the night.
Does this sound like the mattress of your dreams? Find our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 score on our firmness scale, the Bear is a good choice for those in search of a firm and supportive bed. This comes from a thick layer of high-density support foam in the middle, followed by a thin layer of responsive transition foam.
There’s more than enough support here for back sleepers. they’ll also get a little bit of contouring from a comfort layer of memory foam that’s filled by graphite. This helps the mattress stay cool, and so does a cover of breathable, lightweight material known as Celliant.
However, it’s not the only noteworthy aspect of Celliant. There are studies that show it can also improve blood flow, which could help in the recovery process. The Bear the perfect choice for anyone who is active.
If you’re looking to snuggle in Bear Bear, get our top bargain here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers tend to need lots of support to ensure their spines are aligned and also get the pressure relief to prevent pain at their lower back. They may find a winning combination with the DreamCloud hybrid mattress that combines an amalgamation of memory foam, poly foam with pocketed coils.
These materials give the DreamCloud just a bit firmer than medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re sitting on top of the bed. While at the same time they’ll receive a touch of comfort by the foam memory.
The memory foam is infused with an infusion of cooling gel, keeping it from trapping heat as traditional memory foam. The bed’s coils allow enough space to allow for plenty of airflow.
If you decide to going for the DreamCloud, know that it’s quite a heavy bed, so it may be a good idea to assist in the process of moving it into your house (and possibly setup) once it arrives.
Have you bought your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best price.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are looking for a mattress that will help keep you cool at night then the GhostBed Luxe could be the one that is right for you. The mattress has cooling technology to draw the body’s heat from sleeping.
First, there’s an infusion of Phase Change Material, a special fabric which draws heat away from the person sleeping and is cool to the skin. It also has the gel memory foam which, in addition to being cool, also provides lots of cushioning and pain relief.
Another notable cooling characteristic is that GhostBed is a brand. GhostBed is well-known by their “Ghost Ice” cover on many mattress models. Additionally, it is made from the Phase Change Material, it helps the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the feel. The only drawback is that it could be slippery, and you might need to put sheets that are fitted to your bed to keep it nice and snug.
In terms of comfort In terms of comfort, it’s a great choice for those who want to feel. GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and will give the back and side sleepers a balanced amount of support and comfort. It’s also a great option for couples because of its amazing motion absorption and its bounciness (a benefit for sexual partners).
If your primary concern is maintaining coolness, you’ll be delighted with this GhostBed Luxe. Click here to get the most competitive price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who’s had problems with back pain in the past, the Casper Wave Hybrid is a good choice. It combines soft top foams with sturdy steel coils that assists in keeping your spine in a balanced alignment and prevents back issues. In fact the support is sturdy that it might also be a good alternative for those who weigh more than 250 lb.
But it’s not the only position that is suitable for Casper Wave Hybrid. Casper Wave Hybrid. The mattress should be very comfortable sleeping on your side. Your shoulders should sink into your bed and allow you to get some refreshing pressure relief while your hips feel supported.
In addition, those who sleep hot will be comfortable on this Casper Wave Hybrid. The coil’s pocketed design provides plenty of room to allow airflow, and the comfort layer is constructed from something called Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely comfortable and, as an additional bonus, it comes with an extremely thin layer of cooling gel that is placed on the top. All of these features will assist in helping you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth pointing out the fact that it’s a very responsive bed and doesn’t have the more sluggish feel like memory foam. If you’re fond of the quicksand feel then you might want to reconsider your options.
Think the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and aches? Shop here for our lowest price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
As a hybrid, the Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils for the perfect blend of comfort and support. In general, we’d say it’s on the softer side, scoring a 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for an example, the medium-firm range is 6.5/10). This makes the Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side who will feel amazing pressure relief as their hips and shoulders sink into the cushion of comfort.
It’s important to note that the comfort section is composed of not only one, but two layers of foam. There’s 2 inches of ArcticTex fibers and an airfoam ice stretch. Both are designed to keep the sleeper at a comfortable temperature, with the second being a graphite-infused variant of the original Nolah AirFoam found in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who like a soft mattress might also appreciate the Nolah as it’s a comfortable option for couples. It’s not just that they’ll get that mix of support and comfort we mentioned — they’ll be able to stretch because of the bed’s patented HDMax Eco-Support Coils. at 8” tall they are wrapped in Edge-Tech foam that holds up on the edges of the bed and also the middle. This means that Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Is it the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been searching for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you didn’t find a mattress that you were looking for, you might benefit from one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Here are some of my suggestions based on the type of body as well as age, sleep position, and managing pain, and much more.
- Side sleepers do best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that help cushion pressure points at their shoulders and hips. Check out our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers require a good level of pressure relief and support to ensure their spines remain in a straight line, and they’ll typically find that in a mattress that is medium-firm. They can find some high-quality options in the best mattress to back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a firm bed that keeps their hips in alignment with their shoulders. Learn more about why that’s important in our best stomach mattresses sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are simple to move about and change positions on. I suggest that these sleepers adhere to a cushioned mattress with moderate firmness, such as those in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are built in coil systems to provide support. They typically are firm and bouncy in feel that is ideal for back, stomach and mixed sleepers. You can check out our top innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses are made up of a mixture of coils and foam and their feeling differs widely. Find the most popular hybrid mattresses for more information.
- Foam mattresses don’t have coil support. They employ layers of foam to both cushion and help the sleeping person. Memory foam mattresses are a popular kind of all-foam mattress which offers a wide range of body-contouring and relief from pressure. Check out the top memory foam mattress to know more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are often constructed from green Dunlop as well as Talalay latex. They are naturally cool and bouncy. Heavy people and sleepers in combination are often awed by these beds. Check out the top latex mattresses to learn more about the natural substance.
- Air mattresses utilize air to help sleepers all night! A few of the best adjustable mattresses are advanced air mattresses. Get more information in our roundup of the best air mattresses..
Selecting a mattress that can help ease pain is especially important sleepers who live with chronic pain. I’ve compiled a list of mattress options that can help you with different types of pain. Based on the type of pain you’re experiencing I’d suggest you look at the most suitable mattress for pain in the shoulder, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the best sciatica mattresses articles to learn more about pain management solutions.
- If you want a durable value mattress, check out the most affordable mattresses.
- If you’re looking at getting a top-quality mattress which is worth the price consider looking at the most comfortable mattresses available for the price.
- If you’re on a tight budget, see our best mattresses under $1,000 as well as the best mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re in search of an ideal mattress for sleeping cool I suggest an innerspring, Latex, hybrid, or innerspring mattress. They are a great way to increase ventilation, which can be important for keeping the temperature at a minimum in the night.
- You can see my favorite air-conditioned beds in our roundup of the most comfortable cooling mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers with light weights (under 130 pounds) will often find mattresses firmer than average-weight sleepers. I’d recommend for these sleepers to take a glance at most comfortable mattresses to make sure they have the pressure relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over 100 lbs) require a mattress that provides an extra level of support to stop the mattress from sagging prematurely. Edge support and overall durability are the most important considerations. To find out how to pick the right mattress that is suitable for your body go to our site for the best mattresses for people who are heavy..
- Children are rapidly growing and changing bodies , each with unique sleep needs! Find out how you can prioritize your child’s sleep in our top mattresses for kids..
- The elderly (over 65) typically prefer traditional feeling mattresses that offer support and mobility, but they are also gentle on joints. I’d recommend taking a look at our top mattresses for seniors to find one that works for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have specific sleep needs, as well! Learn more about how to choose a comfortable mattress for them in our top mattresses for teenagers.
Sharing a bed with a partner
- If you have a bed to share with a partner (or pet! ) It is important to choose an option that is low in motion transfer. I suggest taking a look at the top couples’ mattresses for a few examples, as well as beds with impressive edge support, cooling options and other requirements that couples may consider.
- Couples in search of the best mattress for sex should check out our guide for mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough for getting close.
Best Bed For Back Pain Good Housekeeping FAQs
How much should I spend on a mattress?
There’s no clear answer to this but it’s essential to take your budget into account. There are a variety of great mattresses available in every price range! Overall, a budget mattress is generally considered to be one priced under $1000 for a Queen-sized.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your mattress at least at least every seven to ten years. But, mattresses can fall over prematurely if it isn’t place it on a proper foundation or treat it roughly. It is also possible to extend the life of an old mattress for some time by using a mattress topper.
When you purchase a brand new bed, it’s essential to look over the warranty. It will give you an idea of the length it should last.
What is the best mattress to relieve back discomfort?
Most people who struggle with back pain find the medium-firm or firm mattress is best for them. The type of mattress you choose will help you keep your spine straight overnight and can ease a lot of discomfort. If you’re looking for a mattress which will help you with your particular back pain, take a look at our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress to stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping positions, stomach sleepers require the greatest amount of support. In this regard, they’re advised to choose a bed that’s reinforced with pocketed coils. If they’re thinking about the mattresses listed on this list, the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva could be good options. For a more expansive selection, they can always look through our list of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers fall on the other end of the spectrum to stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they tend to prefer soft beds (or medium-firm) with plenty of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. The majority of mattresses listed here should be ideal for side sleepers especially Helix Midnight. Helix Midnight. Best Bed For Back Pain Good Housekeeping