So you’re in the market of a mattress, but don’t know where to begin. Not only are there choices that can be found in brick-and-mortar establishments however, there are hundreds of others circulating in the realm of digital bed-in-a-box brands. So , what’s the ideal bed for you in 2022? Best Bed For Back And Side Sleepers
Well, keep in mind that the concept of “best” is somewhat subjective. Different people require different things from a bed, so what’s best for one person may not work for another.
This is why we kept a wide range of subjects in our mind while we made our top choices. Our hope is that most people will be able to discover not only an “best” mattress however, but one that is most suitable for their needs.
Top Mattresses of 2022
Our top mattresses for 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we really dive into the details of each of these beds we’d like to tell you a little bit about the process we used to select these beds.
At Scaramouch, we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattresses through our bed lab. We’ve put every mattress through tests such as pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer using the seismometer. From there, we give each bed an overall rating based on materials as well as comfort, support edge support, and cooling. We also take into account brand performance with categories like warranty and value.
Since we wanted our roundup of Best Mattresses to represent the top of the best, we considered each bed’s overall score into consideration. Every last mattress in this list has an overall score of 4 or more. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which scored an impressive 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, it’s important to look for a bed that can tick all the boxes. You’re looking for a mattress with excellent support as well as pressure relief that cushions and high-quality materials that aren’t going to be able to break down as quickly.
The Saatva has all the benefits of those costly models, but for lower costs. Built with a sturdy coil-on-coil construction, it has an innerspring-like feeling that is an ideal fit for all types of sleepers. It is also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm and Firm) that increases its appeal.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers will be the most comfortable on the Luxury or Firm models while side sleepers should enjoy more of the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper you’ll be able to easily switch positions on any model, due to the Saatva’s soft combination of support and comfort. The Saatva has even got an HD model designed specifically for heavier sleepers.
Another advantage of the Saatva mattress is its coils offer the mattress exceptional edge support. You should be able to lie down or sit close to the edge of the mattress and not feel like it’s about to fall down or cause you to slide off. The only downside to the Saatva’s springiness is that it results in quite a lot of motion transfer, which means that if you sleep with an individual, you could sense each other’s movements at late at night, particularly if either or both of you are a light sleeper.
Finally, it’s worth shining the spotlight on Saatva’s top-quality products. It’s made from natural cotton, and is CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you won’t have be concerned about sleeping in a room with dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has become an extremely recognizable brands in the mattress market due to its customizable. Customers are able to take a sleep test through the Helix website and take their body type, sleeping preferences, as well as other aspects into account so that the brand can recommend the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side-sleeper most likely, you’ll be pointing towards the Helix Midnight, which is a medium-firm mattress that offers an enveloping feel. The foam comfort layer contours to the body and cradles vulnerable areas such as the hips and shoulders, which is vital for people who sleep on their side because it’s where they put the most pressure when sleeping. Back sleepers should also be content with this mix of comfort and support.
The Helix Midnight is also a great mattress for side-sleeping couples. As a hybrid that has a layer of pockets of coils that are encased beneath the foams that provide enough support for two persons. While this also results in some bounce, it’s unlikely to be enough to seriously disturb the other person or you. In addition, the firmness makes it a great mattress for sex.
If you’re a side-sleeper who needs a little more pressure-relief, you should check out Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress which comes with extra foam layers. Also, you can check out more of our top-rated side sleeper mattresses. Or, if you’re sold on the Helix Midnight, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There are no ifs ands, or even buts about it. Mattresses can be extremely expensive. However, that doesn’t mean you need to shell out a lot just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. For example it’s the Nectar mattress is a great value buy that packs a powerful comfort punch without costing you a fortune.
At present, it is priced under $1000 for a Queen bed, after discounts, this memory foam bed is constructed with 5″ of luxurious gel memory foam. This gives you plenty of comfort and a deep body contour that can work wonders for those who sleep on their sides. They should also feel some immense pressure relief and cushiony support at the shoulders and hips.
In addition it is also a good choice for back sleepers. Nectar offers enough support thanks to the high-density foam beneath for back sleepers, who are likely to appreciate the moderate level of firmness. What’s more is that the memory foam is able to absorb a lot of motion throughout the entire structure which makes it an ideal pick for couples. If you’re in the market of a super-soft bed you should look into this brand’s Nectar Premier, that comes with some extra features and bells.
Have you bought this bargain mattress? Get an even more affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you’re sleeping with your partner and you’re looking for a bed that’s comfortable, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes of what couples require. It comes in three different sizes: Soft, Medium and Firm option and most couples will be able to find the bed that is right for their preferences. Each of them has solid edges (which makes the bed appear bigger) and solid motion-isolation, preventing you from feeling your partner’s every turn and toss.
Couples must also be aware of cooling when choosing an appropriate mattress, because two bodies emit more body heat than one. But this shouldn’t be a problem on the Signature, which has the naturally cooling latex-like foam in the cushion layer. Additionally, it has an innovative hybrid design, with springs that have room for lots of airflow.
Another trait that should appeal to lovebirds will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it to latex-like foam) that makes it an ideal mattress for sexual sex. It’s also worth noting that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the brand can pass on savings to the consumer. This is what makes Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature Signature (and any of the products from the brand) a budget-friendly mattress for couples, but one that still has a nice, high-quality feel.
If you think that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal right here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier sleeper (250 lb and over) is the case, you’ll need an appropriate mattress that can comfortably support you. The WinkBed is available in four firmness levels including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s the Plus, which is constructed with steel reinforced coils specifically designed for people who weigh more. These strengthened springs also result in stronger edge support permitting you to spread to the very end to the edge of your bed.
Its WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction offers mild pressure relief from the quilted top layer of its pillow and ample firmness thanks to its coil-like support layer. The mattress also offers zones of support (a combination of soft and firmer foams, based on the location) to help ease discomfort and pain, particularly on your back.
Apart from it being the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it should be extremely cool sleeping. There’s a breathable cover made out of sustainable Tencel and the coils provide an abundance of airflow. This can help sleepers who are heavier keep a low temperature through the entire night.
Do you think this is the mattress you’ve always wanted? Get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
At a 7/10 on our firmness scale 7/10, the Bear is a good choice for those in search of a firm and supportive mattress. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density support foam at the bottom, followed by a thin layer of a flexible transition foam.
There’s likely to be more than enough support here for back sleepers. they’ll also receive a more contouring with the cushion of comfort foam that’s filled by graphite gel. This helps the mattress stay cool, and so does a covering made of breathable, light material known as Celliant.
However, cooling isn’t the only notable feature of Celliant. Certain studies have shown that it can also improve blood flow and could aid with recovery. The Bear a great fit for anyone who practices an active lifestyle.
If you’re ready to curl up with Bear Bear, get our top deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require a lot of support to ensure their spines are aligned, while also receiving the necessary relief from pressure to avoid pain at low back. They could find a great combination with the DreamCloud hybrid mattress that combines an amalgamation of memory foam, poly foam, as well as pocketed coils.
The materials used make the DreamCloud slightly firmer than a medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re on top of the mattress. In addition they’ll feel a bit of a hug due to the memory foam.
The memory foam comes with an infusion of cooling gel that prevents it from absorbing heat as the traditional memory foam. And the bed’s coils make space for a lot of airflow.
If you decide to choosing the DreamCloud, know that it’s a hefty bed, so it might be a good idea to assist you in getting it in your home (and possibly setup) once it arrives.
Are you sold on your DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a hot sleeper in search of a bed that will cool you down at night The GhostBed Luxe could be the one that is right for you. The mattress has cooling technology that draws body heat away from the sleeper.
The first is the infusion Phase Change Material, a special type of fabric which draws heat away from the sleeper and feels cool to the touch. It also has a layer of gel memory foam which as well as being cool, also provides lots of cushioning and pain relief.
Another notable cooling characteristic as a brand GhostBed is known as the brand that has their “Ghost Ice” cover that is found on some of its mattresses. Also made with a Phase Change Material which assists in helping the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the sensation. The only drawback is that it can be a bit slippery, and you might prefer sheets that are fitted to your bed to keep it nice and snug.
For feel in terms of feel, it’s a great choice for those who want to feel. GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and will give side sleepers and back sleepers the perfect balance of comfort and support. It’s also a fantastic choice for couples due to its excellent motion absorption as well as the bounce (a bonus for couples).
If your primary concern is maintaining coolness, you’ll be delighted with GhostBed Luxe. GhostBed Luxe. Click here to get the most affordable price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a back or side sleeper who’s had problems with back discomfort in the past, this Casper Wave Hybrid is a good alternative. It blends soft top foams with supportive steel coils, which helps keep your spine within a neutral alignment and prevents back issues. In fact the support is so solid that it can be an ideal option for people who sleep heavily over 250 pounds.
But back-sleeping isn’t the only suitable position that works with the Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel very at ease sleeping on your back. The shoulders ought to sink down into your bed and give you some relief from pressure and your hips should feel supported.
Hot sleepers will be comfortable in this Casper Wave Hybrid. Its pocketed coil layer offers plenty of space for airflow, and the comfort layer is made with what’s called Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely comfortable and as an added feature, it features a thin layer of cooling gel on over the top. These features should help the Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s important to note that this is a responsive mattress and doesn’t have the slower-moving feel of memory foam. If you’re a lover of the feeling of a quicksand, you may want to consider a different bed.
Are you thinking that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your aches and pains? Shop here for the best price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
As a hybrid, this Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a bottom layer of coils for a mixture of comfort and support. In general, we’d say it’s on the soft side, scoring a 6/10 on our scale of firmness (for the sake of context, moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This means that the Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side who will feel incredible pressure relief when their hips and shoulders are sunk into the comfortable layer.
It’s worth pointing out that this comfort section is comprised of not just two, but one layer of foam: 2inches of ArcticTex fibers and a stretch of AirFoamICE. Both are specifically designed to keep sleepers at a comfortable temperature, with the former being a graphite-infused version that is a modified version of Nolah AirFoam used in the flagship mattress of the brand.
Back sleepers who like an extra soft mattress may like the Nolah and it’s a comfortable option for couples. They’ll not only get that mix of support and comfort that we talked about, they’ll also be able to stretch thanks to the bed’s patent-pending HDMax Eco Coils. at 8” tall the springs are encased in Edge-Tech foam for support, which holds up both sides of the mattress, and also the middle. This means that you can rest assured that the Nolah Evolution has some really exceptional edge support.
Is you sure that the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been looking for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you weren’t able to find the mattress that you liked then you could benefit from one of our more specific mattress guides. Here are some of my suggestions based on body type, age, sleep positions, managing pain, and much more.
- Side sleepers do best on soft to medium-firm mattresses that cushion the pressure points on their shoulders and hips. We have compiled a list of the best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate balance of support and pressure relief to keep their spines straight, and they’ll typically find that in a medium-firm mattress. There are some top-quality choices in the best mattress that back sleepers can get in this roundup.
- Stomach sleepers need a firm bed that keeps their hips aligned in a straight line with the shoulders. Find out why this is crucial in our best stomach mattresses sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are easy to move around on and switch positions on. I suggest that these sleepers adhere to a mattress that is bouncy and has a a medium-firm feel, like the ones we have in our best mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses are based upon coils to support. They typically feature a firm, bouncy feel, and are suitable for back, stomach and combo sleepers. Check out our best innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of coils and foam and their feeling varies widely. Take a look at the most popular hybrid mattresses for more information.
- Foam mattresses don’t include any coil support. They employ layers of foam to cushion and support the sleeper. Memory foam mattresses are a popular type of all-foam mattress that offers a wide range of body-contouring as well as pressure relieving. Take a look at the top mattress made of memory foam to know more about these mattresses.
- Latex mattresses are usually made with environmentally friendly Dunlop or Talalay latex foam. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncey. Combination sleepers and heavy people often like these beds. Check out the most popular latex mattresses for more on the natural substance.
- Air mattresses utilize air to help sleepers throughout the night! A few of the most comfortable adjustable mattresses are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Find out more about them in our roundup of the best air mattresses.
Selecting a mattress that reduces pain is especially important sleepers who suffer from chronic pain. I’ve selected mattress options that could help with several different types of pain. Depending on what you need I’d suggest you look at the top pillows for shoulders, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain or the top sciatica-specific mattresses. articles to know more about pain relief solutions.
- If you are looking for a long-lasting value mattress, check out the best cheap mattresses.
- If you’re looking at getting a top-quality mattress which is worth the price check out the top mattresses for your price.
- If you’re on a tight budget, take a look at our top mattresses for under $1000 as well as the most affordable mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re looking for an ideal mattress for sleeping cool I would suggest you go with an innerspring, Latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. These beds tend to promote the circulation of air, and this is important for keeping a low temperature at night.
- You can see my favorite air-conditioned beds in our roundup of best mattress cooling.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Sleepers who are light (under 130 lbs) will often have mattresses that are more firm than average-weight sleepers. I’d suggest these sleepers take a glance at top soft mattresses to ensure that they have the pressure relief they need.
- Heavy sleepers (over lb) require a mattress that provides extra support to prevent the mattress from sagging prematurely. Overall durability and edge support are typically the main concerns. To find out how to pick the best mattress that suits your body check out our website for best mattresses for those who weigh a lot..
- Children are rapidly growing and evolving bodies that have specific requirements for sleep! Find out how you can prioritize your child’s sleep in our top mattresses for children..
- For seniors (over 65) generally prefer more traditional-looking mattresses that provide support and mobility, but aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I’d recommend taking a look at our top mattresses for older people to find one that is suitable for you.
- Teens are still growing and they have specific sleep needs, too! Learn more about choosing an appropriate mattress in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a Partner
- If you share a bed with a spouse (or pet! ) It is important to choose one that has low motion transfer. I’d recommend taking a look at the top couples’ mattresses to get some ideas, as well as beds that have impressive edges, cool options and other requirements that couples might consider.
- Similarly, couples in search of the best mattress for sex should browse our list of beds that are supple and comfortable enough to get close.
Best Bed For Back And Side Sleepers FAQs
What should I budget on a mattress?
There’s no definitive answer here but it’s essential to take your personal budget into consideration. Thankfully, there are great mattresses at nearly every price point! In general, a mattress that is budget-friendly is typically considered one that’s under $1,000 for a queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, it is recommended to replace your old mattress each 7-10 years. But, mattresses can sag prematurely if you don’t place it on a good foundation or treat it with care. It is also possible to extend the lifespan of a mattress several months by putting on a mattress topper.
If you are buying a new bed, it’s important to look over the warranty. It can also give you a good idea of the length it should last.
What is the most comfortable mattress to relieve back pain?
The majority of people with back pain find that a firm or medium-firm mattress is the best choice for those with back pain. This type of bed will help you keep your spine straight overnight, which can help alleviate many of the back pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will help you with your particular back pain, look through our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the ideal mattress for stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the greatest amount of support. With that in mind, they’re best off with mattresses with reinforced pocketed coils. If they’re considering the mattresses listed on this list that include they’re likely to choose the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva might be viable options. For a more expansive selection, they can always go through our selection of the top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
What’s the best mattress for sleepers on the side?
Side sleepers are on the other end of the spectrum from stomach sleepers. While they require some support, they usually prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) that provide plenty of cushioning to their shoulders and hips. Many of the mattresses listed here should be ideal for sleepers who prefer side sleeping particularly those who sleep on the Helix Midnight. Best Bed For Back And Side Sleepers