So you’re in the market of a mattress, but don’t know where to begin. There are many options available at brick and mortar establishments, but there are hundreds more rumbling around in the world of online bed-in-a box brands. So what’s the best mattress for 2022? Best Bed For A Bad Back Consumer Reports
Remember that the term “best” is somewhat subjective. Different types of sleepers require different features of a mattress, and what is effective for one individual might not be suitable for someone else.
We have a variety of different categories when making our top choices. Our hope is that most folks should be able to get not only an “best” mattress, but the mattress that’s best for them.
Top Mattresses of 2022
The best mattresses for 2022 are:
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
- Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
- Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
- Best Firm Mattress – Bear
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
- Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Before we get into the in-depth details of each of these beds, we’d like to share a little bit about the method we used to choose the beds.
Here at Scaramouch we’ve reviewed more than 220 mattress models in our mattress lab. We’ve put every mattress through tests, including pressure-mapping and measuring motion transfer with the seismometer. Then, we assign each mattress an overall score based on materials as well as comfort, support edge support, and cooling. We also consider brand performance with categories like value and warranty.
Since we wanted our compilation of Best Mattresses to represent the best out of them, we took each bed’s overall score into consideration. Each mattress on this list is rated 4 or above. The top-scoring mattresses are the Brooklyn Bedding Signature and the DreamCloud, both which scored an astonishing 4.6 out of 5.
Editor’s Pick – Saatva
When you are looking for a high-end mattress, it’s important to choose a mattress that can tick all the boxes. You’re looking for a mattress with excellent support, cushioning pressure relief, and high-quality materials that aren’t going to fall apart too fast.
The Saatva offers all of the advantages of costly models, but at an affordable cost. It is constructed with a strong coil-on-coil structure, it offers an innerspring-like feel that should be a good fit for all types of sleepers. It is also available with three different levels of firmness (Plush Luxury Firm, Soft Luxury Firm, and Firm) that further widens its appeal.
Stomach and back sleepers are likely to be most comfortable on the Luxury and Firm versions while those who sleep on their sides should prefer more of the Plush Soft model. If you’re a combination sleeper you’ll be able to change positions on any of the models, thanks to the Saatva’s springy blend of comfort and support. There’s even an HD model designed specifically for heavier sleepers.
Another advantage of the Saatva mattress is that its coils give the bed an exceptional edge support. You’ll be able to sleep or sit near the edge of the mattress and not feel like it’s going to fall over or cause you to fall off. The only drawback to the Saatva’s springiness is that it results in quite a lot of motion transfer, meaning that if you sleep with your partner, you might feel each other’s movements at late at night, particularly if either (or both) is the type of sleeper who is light.
It’s also worth shining a the spotlight on Saatva’s top-quality products. It’s made with organic cotton and foams that are CertiPUR-US(r) Certified, so you won’t have to worry about sleeping in a room with dangerous chemicals.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers – Helix Midnight
Helix has grown to be one of the most notable brands in the mattress market due to its flexibility. Customers are able to take a sleep test on the Helix website, which takes their body type, sleeping preferences, as well as other aspects into account so that the brand can recommend the best mattress for them.
If you’re a side sleeper most likely, you’ll be pointed toward the Helix Midnight — an average-firm mattress that provides an enveloping feel. The foam comfort layer contours to the body and supports vulnerable areas such as the hips and shoulders. This is crucial for those who sleep on their sides since this is where they place the most pressure when they sleep. Back sleepers should also be satisfied with this combination of comfort and support.
It’s a great mattress for couples. Helix Midnight is also a excellent mattress for couples who sleep side-by-side. Since it’s a hybrid with a mattress, it has pockets of coils that are encased beneath the foams, providing enough support for two persons. This also causes a tiny bit of bounce, it shouldn’t be enough to disturb you or your partner. Additionally, the mattress’s responsiveness makes it an ideal mattress for sexual sex.
If you’re a side-sleeper looking for a bit more plush pressure-relief, I’d recommend checking into Helix Midnight Luxe. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that comes with additional foam layers. You can also check out more of our best-rated side sleeper mattresses. Or, if you’re convinced by this mattress, the Helix Midnight, get our lowest price here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Affordable Mattress – Nectar
There aren’t any ifs, ands, or even buts about it — mattresses can be extremely expensive. However, that doesn’t mean you must spend a lot just to enjoy some good Zzz’s. As an example, it’s the Nectar mattress is an excellent value buy that packs a powerful comfort punch without breaking the bank.
At present, it is priced under 1,000 for a queen bed after discounts, this memory foam bed is made with 5″ of luxurious Gel memory foam. This provides ample sinkage and deep body-contouring that could work wonders for sleepers who are side-sleeping. You should also feel intense pressure relief and soft support around the hips and shoulders.
At the same time, the Nectar provides enough support with its high-density foam below for those who sleep on their backs, and should enjoy the medium level of firmness. What’s more is that the memory foam can withstand a great deal of movement across the mattress and makes it a fantastic pick for couples. If you’re in the market for a bed that is super soft, they should check out this brand’s Nectar Premier, with additional alarms.
Are you happy with this value mattress? You can get a much cheaper deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Couples – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you’re sleeping with your partner, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature checks all the boxes on the list of what couples need. It comes in a Medium, Soft and Firm version which means that most couples will be able to find the bed that is right for them. All of the options have strong edges (which makes the bed appear larger) and a solid motion isolationthat keeps your partner from feeling every twist and turn.
Couples must also be aware of cooling when shopping for an appropriate mattress, because two bodies produce much more heat to the body than one. But this should not be a problem for the Signature, which has the naturally cooling latex-like foam that is in the cushion layer. Furthermore, it comes with an innovative hybrid design, with springs that can accommodate plenty of airflow.
Another feature that will attract lovers will be the bounciness of the Signature (chalk it to latex-like foam) that makes it a great mattress for sex. It’s also worth noting the fact that Brooklyn Bedding owns its own manufacturing facility, meaning that the company is able to pass savings to the consumer. This is what makes Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature Signature (and any of the products from the brand) an affordable mattress for couples, though one that has an appealing, high-quality feel.
If you think that the Brooklyn Bedding Signature is perfect for you, get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Heavy People – WinkBeds Plus
If you’re a heavier sleeper (250 lb and over) is the case, you’ll need a mattress that will adequately support you. The WinkBed is a great choice, as it comes in four firmness levels including Luxury Firm, Softer as well as Firmer. Then there’s the Plus, which is constructed with steel reinforced coils that are designed to support heavier people. These strengthened springs also result in a stronger edge support, permitting you to spread until the edge to the edge of your bed.
The WinkBed Plus’ hybrid construction offers mild pressure relief from its quilted pillow-top layer and plenty of firm support thanks to its pocketed coil support layer. It also provides zones of support (a combination of soft and more firm foams, based on the location) to help ease discomfort and pain, particularly for back pain.
Outside of it being the WinkBed Plus’ heightened support and durability, it’s going to be extremely cool-sleeping. There’s a breathable cover made out of sustainable Tencel and the coils permit a ton of airflow. This will help those who sleep more to keep their temperature at a minimum throughout the night.
Does this sound like the bed of your dreams? Get our best deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Firm Mattress – Bear
With a 7/10 rating on our firmness scale it is a Bear is a good choice for those looking for a firm and supportive bed. It’s got a substantial layer of high-density support foam on the bottom. It is over which is a lighter layer of flexible transition foam.
There should be more than enough support here for back sleepers. they’ll also get a little more contouring with the cushion of comfort foam that’s infused by graphite. This helps the mattress stay cool, as does a cover of breathable, lightweight material called Celliant.
However, it’s not the only noticeable aspect of Celliant. Certain studies have shown that it can also improve blood flow and could aid in recovering. It makes Bear an ideal choice for anyone who is active.
If you’re eager to curl in your Bear, get our most affordable deal here!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers – DreamCloud Original
Back sleepers typically require a lot of support to keep their spines aligned and also get the pressure relief to prevent pain at their lower back. They might find a good combination in the DreamCloud hybrid mattress that combines an amalgamation with memory foam and poly foam, as well as pocketed coils.
These materials make the DreamCloud just a bit firmer than the medium-firm. Back sleepers should feel as if they’re on top bed. In addition they’ll receive a bit of a hug from the memory foam.
The memory foam comes with cooling gel in the form of an infusion, keeping it from trapping heat the way traditional memory foam does. The bed’s coils create room for quite a bit of airflow.
If you do end up choosing the DreamCloud, know that it’s a hefty mattress, and it could be a good idea to assist you in getting it in your home (and perhaps setting it up) when it arrives.
Sold on you’re interested in the DreamCloud Mattress? Click here to get our best bargain.CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed Luxe
If you’re a fan of hot sleep and are seeking a bed that can help to cool down during the night, the GhostBed Luxe could be the one you’re looking for. This mattress features cooling technology to draw the body’s heat from sleeping.
First, there’s the infusion Phase Change Material, a special fabric that absorbs heat from the sleeping person and feels cool to the touch. It also comes with an underlying layer of gel memory foam that, in addition to being cool, also provides lots of comfort and relief from pain.
Another notable cooling characteristic as a brand GhostBed is known as the brand that has the “Ghost Ice” cover for the majority their mattresses. Also made with a Phase Change Material that helps to ensure that the GhostBed Luxe stay cool to the touch. Its only disadvantage is that it is a little slippery, so you may want to use an upholstered sheet over your bed that keeps everything neat and secure.
In terms of feel in terms of feel, it’s a great choice for those who want to feel. GhostBed Luxe is medium firm and is expected to provide side sleepers and back sleepers the perfect combination of comfort and support. It’s also an excellent choice for couples due to its amazing motion absorption and its bounciness (a bonus for couples).
If your primary concern is staying cool, you’ll love the GhostBed Luxe. Click here to find the most competitive price!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Mattress for Back Pain – Casper Wave Hybrid
If you’re a side or back sleeper who’s had problems with back pain in the past this Casper Wave Hybrid is a excellent option. It blends soft top foams with supportive steel coils, which helps keep your spine in a healthy position and helps prevent back pain. In fact the support is robust that it could be an ideal option for heavy sleepers over 250 pounds.
But it’s not the only option that works with this Casper Wave Hybrid. It should also feel at ease sleeping on your back. Your shoulders should sink into your bed and let you enjoy some relief from the pressure, and your hips should feel supported.
Hot sleepers will feel right at home on this Casper Wave Hybrid. The pocketed coil offers plenty of space for airflow. The comfort layer is constructed from something called Airscape foam. Its aerated design is extremely airy and as an added touch, it has a thin coating of cooling gel up the top. These features should assist in helping you keep your Casper Wave Hybrid sleep cool.
It’s worth pointing out that this is a responsive bed and doesn’t have the slower-moving feel of memory foam. If you’re fond of the feeling of a quicksand, you may want to look elsewhere.
Are you thinking that the Casper Wave Hybrid will ease your pains and aches? Check out our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Best Hybrid Mattress – Nolah Evolution
Being a hybrid, the Nolah Evolution combines various foams with a base layer of coils for a mixture of comfort and support. Overall, we’d say it’s on the softer side and scored a 6/10 on our firmness scale (for context, moderate firm would be 6.5/10). This makes the Nolah Evolution an especially good choice for sleepers on the side, who should feel some incredible pressure relief when their hips and shoulders slide into the comfortable layer.
It’s important to note that this section of comfort is comprised of not just one, but two layers of foam: 2inches of ArcticTex fibers and an AirFoamICE stretch. Both are specifically designed to keep sleepers at a comfortable temperature, with the former being a graphite-infused variant that is a modified version of Nolah AirFoam found in the brand’s flagship mattress.
Back sleepers who like a soft mattress might also enjoy the Nolah and it’s an ideal choice for couples. It’s not just that they’ll experience the mix of comfort and support we mentioned — they’ll be able to stretch thanks to the bed’s patent-pending HDMax Eco Coils. At 8” tall the springs are encased in Edge-Tech foam that holds up the sides of the bed, and also the middle. That means Nolah Evolution has a great edge support. Nolah Evolution has some really outstanding edge support.
Is the Nolah Evolution the mattress you’ve been looking for? Click here to get our best deal!CHECK LOWEST PRICE HERE
Finding the Best Mattress for You
If you couldn’t find the mattress that you liked, you might benefit from one of our more specific guides to mattresses. Here are some of my recommendations based on the type of body as well as age, sleep position, and the management of pain, among other things.
- Side sleepers prefer soft to medium-firm mattress that cushions the pressure points on their shoulders and hips. Check out our top mattresses for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers need an appropriate level of pressure relief and support to ensure their spines remain straight, and usually, that’s in a mattress that is medium-firm. They can find some high-quality alternatives in the best mattresses for back sleepers roundup.
- Stomach sleepers require a supportive mattress that will keep their hips in alignment in a straight line with the shoulders. Find out more about why this is essential in our best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
- Mattresses for combo sleepers are usually ones that are easy to move about and change positions on. I recommend these sleepers stick to a bouncy mattress with a medium-firm feel, like those in our top mattresses for combo sleepers.
- Innerspring mattresses rely on coil support systems. They often are firm and bouncy in feel and work well for stomach, back, and mixed sleepers. Check out our top innerspring mattresses for more information.
- Hybrid mattresses make use of a mixture of coil and foam support, and their feel is different. Find the most popular hybrid mattresses for more information.
- Foam mattresses do not have any coil support. They use layers of foam to cushion and help the sleeping person. Mattresses made of memory foam are popular kind of all-foam mattress which provide a great body contouring and relief from pressure. Take a look at the most comfortable memory foam mattress to learn more about these beds.
- Latex mattresses are usually constructed using environmentally friendly Dunlop as well as Talalay latex. These beds are naturally cooling and bouncy. Heavy people and sleepers in combination are often awed by these mattresses. Check out the most popular latex mattresses to learn more about this natural material.
- Air mattresses use air to support the sleeper throughout the night! A few of the most comfortable adjustable mattresses are air mattresses that have advanced technology. Find out more about them in our review of the best air mattresses.
Selecting a mattress that reduces the pain is crucial for those who live with chronic pain. I’ve compiled a list of mattress options which can ease different types of pain. Based on your needs I’d suggest looking into the best pillows for shoulders, best mattresses for back pain, best mattresses for hip pain, or the best sciatica mattresses articles to find out more about the best pain management options.
- If you’re looking for a sturdy quality mattress at a reasonable price, look into the top mattresses for cheap.
- If you’re more interested in finding a high-quality bed that’s worth the price check out the best mattresses for the money.
- If you’re on a strict budget, take a look at our top mattresses for under 1,000 as well as the best mattresses under $500.
Hot Sleepers / Cooling Technology
- If you’re looking for an ideal mattress for sleeping cool I suggest one of the following: mattress made of latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress. They tend to encourage airflow, which is essential for keeping a low temperature at night.
- You can see my favorite mattresses that breathe in our roundup of top cool mattresses.
Body Type & Body Weight
- Light sleepers (under 130 lbs) will often discover mattresses that are firmer than average weight sleepers. I’d recommend these sleepers take a look at the most comfortable mattresses to ensure that they get the pressure relief they require.
- Sleepers who are heavy (over lb) need a bed that offers additional support to avoid the mattress from sagging prematurely. Overall durability and edge support are the most important considerations. For more information on how to select the right mattress that is suitable for your body, visit our page to find the top mattresses designed for people who are heavy..
- Kids have rapidly growing and changing bodies with specific requirements for sleep! Learn how to prioritize your child’s sleep health in our top mattresses for kids..
- For seniors (over 65) generally prefer more traditional-looking mattresses that provide flexibility and support, yet aren’t too harsh on delicate joints. I’d recommend taking a look at our top mattresses for older adults to find a feel that works for you.
- Teenagers are growing at a rapid rate, and they have specific sleeping needs as well! Learn more about choosing an appropriate mattress in our best mattresses for teens.
Sleeping with a partner
- If you share a bed with a partner (or pet! ) it is essential to choose an option that is low in motion transfer. I would suggest looking at the top couples’ mattresses to get some ideas including beds with impressive edge support, cooling options, and other needs that couples could consider.
- Couples in search of the most comfortable mattresses for sexual intimacy are able to look through our guide to mattresses that are responsive and comfortable enough to get close.
Best Bed For A Bad Back Consumer Reports FAQs
What should I budget on a mattress?
There’s no clear answer to this and it’s crucial to take your personal budget into account. There are plenty of fantastic mattresses at all price points! A budget mattress is usually considered to be one that’s under $1,000 for a queen-size.
When should I change my mattress?
In general, you should replace your mattress at least every 7-10 years. However, a mattress may be prone to sagging if you don’t put it on a suitable foundation or care for it in a rough way. It is also possible to extend the lifespan of an old mattress for several months by adding an mattress protector.
When you purchase a brand new bed, you need to take a look at the warranty. It will give you a good idea of the length it’s expected to last.
What is the best mattress to relieve back discomfort?
Most people who struggle with back pain discover that a firm or medium-firm mattress is best for those with back pain. This type of bed will help you keep your spine straight during the night, which can help alleviate some of the back pain. If you are looking for a mattress that will help you with your particular back pain, take a look at our best mattresses for back pain.
What’s the best mattress to stomach sleepers?
Of all sleeping types, stomach sleepers require the most support. In this regard, they’re advised to choose mattresses with reinforced pocketed coils. If they’re looking at the mattresses listed on this list that include they’re likely to choose the WinkBeds Plus and the Saatva are two options that could be worth considering. To get a larger choice, go through our selection of the top mattress for stomach-sleepers.
What’s the most comfortable mattress for side sleepers?
Side sleepers fall on the opposite side of the spectrum of stomach sleepers. While they still require some support, they generally prefer mattresses with softer cushions (or medium-firm) that have a lot of cushioning for their hips and shoulders. Many of the mattresses listed here should be ideal for side sleepers particularly the Helix Midnight. Best Bed For A Bad Back Consumer Reports